Tent/sleeping bag help?

pasteve

Hello all,
I’m new to backpack elk hunting. I usually car camp Colorado rifle 1st rifle season. This year we are backpack archery hunting. My big A 0 degree sleeping bag I love but it’s also over 7lbs and I’d like to keep the weight down. What are your thoughts on a tart tent for mid sept Colorado around 10,000 ft? Would I be better suited with a dome tent and a lighter sleeping bag? Any thought or insight is greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Steve

Hello all,
I’m new to backpack elk hunting. I usually car camp Colorado rifle 1st rifle season. This year we are backpack archery hunting. My big A 0 degree sleeping bag I love but it’s also over 7lbs and I’d like to keep the weight down. What are your thoughts on a tart tent for mid sept Colorado around 10,000 ft? Would I be better suited with a dome tent and a lighter sleeping bag? Any thought or insight is greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Steve
I’ve done it in worse with a 0 deg. Should be fine. I use the argali Absaroka with a tarp floor. Does just fine. Get a good sleeping pad

I’ve done it in worse with a 0 deg. Should be fine. I use the argali Absaroka with a tarp floor. Does just fine. Get a good sleeping pad
I’ve been looking at the xtherm with a tyvek ground cover

Weather can vary a lot depending on where you're at in Colorado, so I would personally stay with a zero degree bag.

Could go a lighter down bag and bring sleeping layers if the weather looks cold? Or liner

Hello all,
Thank you
Steve
September in Colorado could be 90 degrees at that elevation and the next day could have a foot of snow on the ground. It’s all personal preference but I usually rock a zero all hunting season. Early season it’s open all night and late season I have layers on and zipped up. Shelter is all personal preference. I run the sg 2 man which is light weight and versatile. Can run a light weight setup or full blown winter setup all with the same tent

10K elevation, mid Sept in CO: Be prepared for monsoon rains w lightning, snow if a cold front hits. Average lows will be around freezing, average highs 60s, bugs calm down after sunset. CO weather is rarely average, though. A 20 degree bag with an insulating pad under a properly pitched (drainage) tarp tent should work. If there are more than one of you to share the extra weight of carrying a dome tent, you would have more headroom and more comfort for longer stay. I always put a protective sheet under any inflatable sleep pad.

I've ran a Xtherm and a 15 degree Enlightend Equipment convert quilt (it can zip into a sleeping bag) several times in Colorado during September perfect combo. 7 pounds is really heavy my quilt is under 2.

Zero degree bag or quilt, insulated pad, and an enclosed shelter is my preference. Easy to get cooler with the gear you’ve brought. Tough to get warmer. I like a shelter that I can sit up and move around in to ride out a storm if necessary. Pretty easy to come in sub 2lbs on each of those items if you do enough research.

I’ve been looking at the xtherm with a tyvek ground cover
I wouldn’t hesitate at all with that setup. Better than what I got. Like others said, you probably won’t need that heavy of a bag. If it gets that cold, layer up. I’d look at a 20 deg quilt and pack some downs.

I'm using a seek outside cimmaron and a viam 0 degree quilt with a exped dura. I don't remember the r value for the pad but the quilt is light weight and keeps me warm. I've used it down to the 20s overnight.

Have been archery hunting in all kinds of weather at or near 10,000 feet throughout the month of September since the early 1990s. Over that time period I have experienced a variety of weather and a lot of various gear. Comfortable sleeping temps are very subjective depending on whether you sleep hot or cold. For what you are planning I would recommend either the newer Thermarest pad or the new Nemo (both are approximately an 8 R rating). That paired with a Nemo Disco 15 deg down bag should serve you well. The Disco can be opened up via their 'gill' setup to vent better in warmed temps. Nemo has had these bags available at a discount recently. They are a great bag and they pack down small-also come with an included compression bag which you own't get with other manufacturers. As far as a tent, check out the Tarptent offerings. They are quality and affordable and work well for backcountry hunting. They have several in the sub-4 lb range. If you are camping at 10,000 ft elevation you should be warmer than if you are pitched in a stream bottom where the cold air sinks and September temps are typically in the 20s at night. Temperature differences from bottom to top can vary from 10-15 degrees. If you camp much higher than 10,000 ft you will likely be above timberline and more exposed to wind and storms.

Even if you can handle the weight penalty, that bag is going to eat up a lot of real estate in your backpack. I would prioritize packability and use your layers/jacket to extend the temp rating.

I always used a 15 degree bag in CO, usually for backpack hunting during 1st rifle. If it got cold I just wore my puffy pants and jackets inside the bag and that helped a lot. I'm also a big fan of the 'snuggler' (nalgene with hot water in the bag). Don't overlook a good sleeping pad. I use a Nemo with an R value of about 5. I like a tent more than a tarp, but the tarp should be fine as long as it is setup properly.

I didn't catch a budget you were looking at, but I would throw in a recommendation for a NEMO Sonic. One thing that is a big deal for me is the size of the foot box, and the Nemos have a nice sized one. 3lbs 2oz for their 0deg bag.

I’ve used a six moon designs lunar solo tent, enlightened equipment 20* quilt and a neo air x lite pad in a wide range of conditions and it’s always kept me warm and dry. Really lightweight and functional set up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back