Elk Outfitter Recommendations for CO

From experience of one fully guided Colorado elk hunt with a string of mules, horses and fully stocked tents etc. , I can offer my opinion. Before giving out your money to hold your hunt, fully vent the total operation... the outfitter and the guides by doing this:

1. Call references, hunters that hunted the same season that you plan to hunt.

2. Find out the experience of the guides and their tactics and strategy.

3. Inform the outfitter that you'll expect to have the same guide through out the duration of your hunt, unless there is personality issue.

3. Find out the condition of the stock and notify the outfitter of any concerns...horse vs. mules. A mule, in my opinion, is a lot better animal to hunt from.

4. Outfitters success percentage of previous year.

5. How many other hunters will be in camp hunting the same time and guide to hunter ratio.

6. The most important: Don’t pay to hunt public land, unless the outfitter's camp is beyond reach of hunters from other camps. I hunted public and there was orange everywhere, everyday! This unplanned activity changed the outfitter's plans several times in the morning and afternoon.
Great advice. Thank you Sir

Did you end up finding an outfitter for last year?
Even though I posted this in 2023, the question was actually for this year. I didn’t elk hunt last year. An August 2023 stone sheep hunt took up all my vacation time and $$$.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back