Lugging base camp into the backcountry...

stealthy_bowman

Hey all,
So I'm considering lugging my base camp into the backcountry for this upcoming rifle elk season. Typically, I set my base camp at a trailhead and return to it each day. Sometimes, this involves a 3 to 4 hour hike back depending on where and how far in I'm hunting. Yes, I know all about the spike camping option and do it in the summer months from time to time. In fact, I just got back from several days of backpacking and spike camping for a scouting trip. The problem with spike camping though, at least for me, is that I get absolutely sh*t sleep. Maybe 2 or 3 hours at best and I've tried everything to make it better. I simply sleep much better on my cot in my base camp and that makes a hunt just so much more enjoyable. Cannot underestimate the value of a good night's sleep and the impact it has on making you a more successful hunter. Moreover, if the weather is crap, the degree of comfort in a base camp is unmatched and frankly I look forward to getting back to base camp and cooking up a proper meal at the end of a long day hunting. Soooo, the question is how to get the base camp into the backcountry without horses and I am wondering what experiences some of you may have had in trying that? I've considered using carts as I saw one guy doing that in Wyoming with a similar set up that I have and he even packed out the bull he shot on his deer cart. The problem with that is that deer carts do not make it over certain terrain and one false move when going along a cliff and you could lose all your gear. I've also considered renting llama's, but that gets quite pricey very quickly. So what have you guys tried? Welcome any tips you may have...Thanks.

Hey all,
So I'm considering lugging my base camp into the backcountry for this upcoming rifle elk season. Typically, I set my base camp at a trailhead and return to it each day. Sometimes, this involves a 3 to 4 hour hike back depending on where and how far in I'm hunting. Yes, I know all about the spike camping option and do it in the summer months from time to time. In fact, I just got back from several days of backpacking and spike camping for a scouting trip. The problem with spike camping though, at least for me, is that I get absolutely sh*t sleep. Maybe 2 or 3 hours at best and I've tried everything to make it better. I simply sleep much better on my cot in my base camp and that makes a hunt just so much more enjoyable. Cannot underestimate the value of a good night's sleep and the impact it has on making you a more successful hunter. Moreover, if the weather is crap, the degree of comfort in a base camp is unmatched and frankly I look forward to getting back to base camp and cooking up a proper meal at the end of a long day hunting. Soooo, the question is how to get the base camp into the backcountry without horses and I am wondering what experiences some of you may have had in trying that? I've considered using carts as I saw one guy doing that in Wyoming with a similar set up that I have and he even packed out the bull he shot on his deer cart. The problem with that is that deer carts do not make it over certain terrain and one false move when going along a cliff and you could lose all your gear. I've also considered renting llama's, but that gets quite pricey very quickly. So what have you guys tried? Welcome any tips you may have...Thanks.
IMG_20190906_125923.jpg

A friend and I cycle gated closed roads a good distance, set "base camp" much further than the average... Thanks @BigHornRam for the above venture.

Or suffer wilderness pain for glorified game pack out pain if you down an elk, deer, etc...

Solo or team, ditch the cycle cart and cycle as close to the wilderness boundary as possible and begin the drag... Packs are light, set game weight and sleds accordingly, sled out game to cycle cart and what's normally a PITA feels like a breeze when wheeling out game. Always a good habit to cycle in uphill. Pain in is less pain out. Haha!

Any deep backcountry "base camp" and maintain ability to pack game out - all in one run is brutal, one step in front of the other. I'll repeat, brutal... But, determination makes it doable. YMMV.

20200920_150844.jpg

Here's one where we cycle teamed to the Wilderness border and manually completed sled head (feel dead) the remaining 7-8 miles.

20171023_153917.jpg

And results with 12# tent and titanium stove/pipe:

(This next pic is from a solo sled wilderness venture w/my dog)

20200920_210012.jpg

Edited to reduce pic size. Phone initial as pics are on the phone... Adjusted size on computer.

Last edited:
Side note: don't do what I did once... Was living life cruising a fair speed cycling out game with my two trailer cycle setup...
Speed was a tad beyond cycle brakes for gear and game weight... Let's just say it was a minor crash / clean up... Adjust and dirt road rash later, back to cycling at controlled brake speed. Haha!

Last edited:
The bike method seems like it might be a good option for you based on what you said.

Pack animals are the other solid option, but you are aware of the associated costs there.

Game cart being drug behind is another option without a bike. Probably not nearly as comfortable and easy as a bike, but would probably work. Could even do a four wheel garden trailer if you have a decent trail you can follow

I have an inflatable kayak that has an 885 lb carry capacity that I will be paddling upstream with all my camp gear and will be floating it out with meat and antlers, I hope.View attachment 287566
Couple HT gurus did the same in AK - I believe it was afly in - drop off then they used inflatables back down river for moose and caribu hunt. @Schaaf was involved, if I recall. Trouble finding the thread. You might be able to glean some info off their adventure.

Soooo, the question is how to get the base camp into the backcountry without horses and I am wondering what experiences some of you may have had in trying that? I've considered using carts as I saw one guy doing that in Wyoming with a similar set up that I have and he even packed out the bull he shot on his deer cart. The problem with that is that deer carts do not make it over certain terrain and one false move when going along a cliff and you could lose all your gear. I've also considered renting llama's, but that gets quite pricey very quickly. So what have you guys tried? Welcome any tips you may have...Thanks.

without horses? Make an extra trip in with the roomy tent and associated comfort items. It is what we would do with horses, just on a smaller scale. You might only go in 5 miles but that puts you 2 hours closer to your morning glassing spot.

It is the Hunting version of "Sweat Equity". You just pay in loaded foot-miles. Most of the guys I know who pay a horse packer still spike out from the base camp a night or two then resupply their bivy setup from that camp. One packer in Oregon will pack gear drops into a wilderness from my notes:

1 Packer, 1 mule *120lb gear hauled Price: $450 $150 for each additional mule (each Way) Meat only Packouts are $1000. Must be hauled to a main trail.

For me with one pack animal and a riding animal, I'm spending a day before the hunt packing in camp and feed. I might make 2 trips that day. If I get an Elk down, I'm loading my saddle horse and pack horse with quarters and antlers to walk out to the trailhead, and into town to get meat processed. Then the next day riding back in to pack out camp. If I had a 3 mule string at my disposal it would be an "all at once" pack trip and save me 4 trips 2 in and 2 out. It is up to you what reducing extra trips is worth .

Or, check with @Duck-Slayer . He's the master with pack goats and killing game.

You could do a drop style camp, but that is probably pretty pricey. You have any strong young kids, nephews, etc.? You could toughen them up by making them pack all your stuff. I would probably just get a little bigger tent, a super plush sleeping pad, pillow and a comfy bag. Bring some sort of sleeping pill and you should be ok!

I don't mean to sound harsh at all, but it sounds a little like you want your cake and to eat it too. Every strategy has a penalty of some kind. If you have lots of extra time I guess you could just make two trips in to set up camp, two to get it out, independent of meat hauling.

Off topic though I've never really followed the use of this statement...

Why - TF have a cake if not to eat? Haha!
when I saw my buddy’s kid’s cake I was in awe at some of the sharp detail! Lol sometimes it’s cool to just keep on the table to admire! One slice out of her and shes just another regular ol cake! 😂🤣
1691789878961.jpeg

Might not apply beings as they are based out on new zealand
Haha! If I recall, Randy did a helo drop and p/u for a corner crossing type bs locked area. I'm likely wrong though I believe it was $500? Maybe each way? Though with a couple hunters split... Wonder if that's legal so long as the skids don't touch ground in Wilderness or forget wilderness as that concept hurts some HT feelers to suggest such.
I'll have to dig up Randy's thread and video on that hunt. May be something worth considering further.

Haha! If I recall, Randy did a helo drop and p/u for a corner crossing type bs locked area. I'm likely wrong though I believe it was $500? Maybe each way? Though with a couple hunters split... Wonder if that's legal so long as the skids don't touch ground in Wilderness or forget wilderness as that concept hurts some HT feelers to suggest such.
I'll have to dig up Randy's thread and video on that hunt. May be something worth considering further.
Cal RMR or central helicopters for a quote. I have. I think you may be suprised at the cost. It was significantly higher than I was expecting and that was a few years ago. I've gone down this rabbit hole before and my research showed me that it is legal to get dropped in wilderness as well as landlocked states sections as long as the skids dont touch. The kicker is no charter company will agree to drop you in that manner. The only way I found to make it happen is if you had a buddy who was a helicopter pilot and was willing to hover while you jumped, but I don't.

Also on a side note. The charter companies know which landlocked parcels can be landed on and which ones cannot be for whatever reason. And they dont hesitate to drop hunters wherever they can. It's their business. When you look at a map of central/eastern montana there are what appear to be hundreds of landlocked parcels. When you get to really looking, only a small percentage of them are truly land locked, and an even smaller porton of those are in decent elk habitat. I have come to the conclusion that there are no secrets. If you think you know of a dynamite landlocked section, so do other people and so do the charter companies, and its probly not as dynamite as you may think. Its a shame really but thats the facts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back