Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Elk Outfitter Recommendations for CO

WesternRookie

Archery 2024, low or no points in various states due to 1 person in the group. Group of 3-4. Thinking NM draw or CO 1-2 pt GMUs, but open to other states. (Already have plans for MT for 2025 so don't want to go for a tag in 2024)
Any Outfitter recommendations? Prefer horseback assisted or on foot/spike camp. Not interested in truck hunting. We are all in our late 30s and mid 40s and in shape. Budget ~$5K/each

Have googled, but hoping to get better recommendations from real people. Thanks

I watch Man vs Elk on TV, and they are always advertising drop hunts for $2500 per hunter. They drop you off and come back to pack you and "your elk" out. I think it is "The Elk Ranch" or something like that. They also offer bow and rifle hunts on their ranch, but none appear to be horseback, prices seem reasonable.

I watch Man vs Elk on TV, and they are always advertising drop hunts for $2500 per hunter. They drop you off and come back to pack you and "your elk" out. I think it is "The Elk Ranch" or something like that. They also offer bow and rifle hunts on their ranch, but none appear to be horseback, prices seem reasonable.
Thanks, but this group has already done drop camps a couple of times (unsuccessfully), and ready to pay for a little education. We are looking for guided

I’ve never been on an outfitted hunt but I have definitely got a ton of education on my own learning from my mistakes and I was hunting areas I can return to each year.

Hopefully you can find a decent guide to meet your expectations. The guides I’ve run into were hunting the same spots as me on national forest with their clients and were walking away from elk each day.

Although he has sold his outfitting business, call Cliff Gray. This guy impresses me as a solid, honest, non-alcoholic, non-drug user. Cliff has an MBA from the Univ of Chicago, and is a family guy. He does videos on youtube. watch all of them. He may be able point you to the right people, and he would also know the dregs.

Last edited:
I think the only problem might be OP wanted to stay around 5k for the price. Might be a little tough. Good Luck, he might be able to swing a deal for all four hunters to go for 5k each. Most guided hunts I have seen were double that if lodging and meals are included.

I think the only problem might be OP wanted to stay around 5k for the price. Might be a little tough. Good Luck, he might be able to swing a deal for all four hunters to go for 5k each. Most guided hunts I have seen were double that if lodging and meals are included.
I went here last year , great place . It was under $5000 at that time , not sure now . But the same thing , it's hard to get a spot , they're always booked years ahead . OP , PM me if you have any questions .

Although he has sold his outfitting business, call Cliff Gray. This guy impresses me as a solid, honest, non-alcoholic, non-drug user. Cliff has an MBA from the Univ of Chicago, and is a family guy. He does videos on youtube. watch all of them. He may be able toaster you to the right people and he would also know the dregs.
Yeah I watched some of his youtube videos a few years ago. Definitely an articulate and thoughtful guy who shares his knowledge in a humble yet matter of fact way.

I would try Bearcat Outfitters , if you can get in , Seth is a great guy .

I talked to another Outfitter in that Unit yesterday. She said you have to have 4 pts to pull a archery tag there as a NR, so that won't work for us.

Last edited:
I talked to another Outfitter in Unit 12 yesterday. She said you have to have 4 pts to pull a archery tag there as a NR, so that won't work for us.
Thats too bad , I've been there twice , one rifle and one archery , it's a awesome setup . Seth has a lodge back in the mountains and keeps his horses even further in , one of the greatest hunting adventures I've been on .

Thats too bad , I've been there twice , one rifle and one archery , it's a awesome setup . Seth has a lodge back in the mountains and keeps his horses even further in , one of the greatest hunting adventures I've been on .
Sounds awesome. I have 5 pts but my other hunters have 1-2. I’ve reminded them every year but it just hasn’t been a priority for them like it has for me. I’d rather hunt w these friends than alone for 2024 so OTC hunt is looking good for this group, then maybe I’ll treat myself in a couple more years and spend my points. Thanks again for sharing and for the recommendation

Sounds awesome. I have 5 pts but my other hunters have 1-2. I’ve reminded them every year but it just hasn’t been a priority for them like it has for me. I’d rather hunt w these friends than alone for 2024 so OTC hunt is looking good for this group, then maybe I’ll treat myself in a couple more years and spend my points. Thanks again for sharing and for the recommendation
Try J and J LLC , I drew a archery tag last year with zero points . It's canyon hunting and hunting over water holes , plus stuff higher up , but Joe is a great guy and his guide Travis is a lot of fun . Note , he is a farmer/rancher and has a slight lack of communicating , but it was right in your price range .

I will throw Samuelson Outfitters in the mix as well as Dave Parry Outfitters. I haven't been able to get on website for Dave. I used to ski patrol and play ball against many of the guides from both camps. That was years ago when I worked for Samuelson. Probably all younger crew now and the Troublesome basin was decimated in the "fire" a few years back. Probably chest high grass and new growth everywhere, not to mention deadfall. These guys hunt Unit 18, maybe even farther west now, as my information is dated!

Archery 2024, low or no points in various states due to 1 person in the group. Group of 3-4. Thinking NM draw or CO 1-2 pt GMUs, but open to other states. (Already have plans for MT for 2025 so don't want to go for a tag in 2024)
Any Outfitter recommendations? Prefer horseback assisted or on foot/spike camp. Not interested in truck hunting. We are all in our late 30s and mid 40s and in shape. Budget ~$5K/each

Have googled, but hoping to get better recommendations from real people. Thanks

From experience of one fully guided Colorado elk hunt with a string of mules, horses and fully stocked tents etc. , I can offer my opinion. Before giving out your money to hold your hunt, fully vent the total operation... the outfitter and the guides by doing this:

1. Call references, hunters that hunted the same season that you plan to hunt.

2. Find out the experience of the guides and their tactics and strategy.

3. Inform the outfitter that you'll expect to have the same guide through out the duration of your hunt, unless there is personality issue.

3. Find out the condition of the stock and notify the outfitter of any concerns...horse vs. mules. A mule, in my opinion, is a lot better animal to hunt from.

4. Outfitters success percentage of previous year.

5. How many other hunters will be in camp hunting the same time and guide to hunter ratio.

6. The most important: Don’t pay to hunt public land, unless the outfitter's camp is beyond reach of hunters from other camps. I hunted public and there was orange everywhere, everyday! This unplanned activity changed the outfitter's plans several times in the morning and afternoon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back