Tent/sleeping bag help?

I typically use an older msr hubba hubba tent that I love. If I were to replace it I would go with the sg 2 man.

Your bag is crazy heavy, no way I would pack that. I would look at a good down bag somewhere in the 0 to 15 degrees. Lots of good brands to choose, western mountaineering, marmot, feathered friends to name a few.

Good luck and have fun, backpack hunts are my favorite

7lbs is toooo heavy.

Depending on your budget, there are lots of great bags on the market that will be ≤3lbs. I can't speak to the specific weather you'll be facing, but I can tell you that most people carry way more insulation than they need between jackets, layers, and sleeping bags. I regularly sleep in around-freezing temps with my 35°F bag + warm baselayers + light down jacket + thick fuzzy socks (and I enjoy all of those things except my sleeping bag while glassing!). I do sleep relatively warm though, so get what makes you comfortable.

Misc other thoughts:
  • You will be much warmer in a normal zip-closure tent than you will be under a tarp-type shelter. Like everything else, it's a trade-off between comfort and weight.
  • Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends stand head-and-shoulders above the rest of the bags on the market, but your wallet will notice the difference too. Nemo, Marmot, Big Agnes, and most of the other major backpacking brands make good bags.
  • If you regularly find yourself wet in the backcountry, a synthetic bag might be a good choice. There are lots of surprisingly good (and relatively cheap) synthetic bags on the market these days.
  • Outdoorgearlab.com. You're welcome.
  • Like WM and FF, Stone Glacier (and Slingfin, who design and manufacture all of SG's shelters) stand solidly atop the quality ladder when it comes to shelters. But again, your wallet will notice. I have two different Slingfin shelters (the equivalent of SG's SkyAir tarp and Skyscraper 2p tent) that I've put through the ringer hunting and mountaineering in the Cascades, and I swear by them.
  • Marmot tents are very underrated for the money IMHO. But Big Agnes won't do you wrong either.
  • Dyneema is a silly material to make a tent out of. Buy good quality nylon shelters and spend your money on ammo. Lort knows we need it these days.
  • Above all: you'll learn a helluvalot more in a couple scouting trips than you will reading our comments. Go out there and try stuff and have fun!

There are some pretty dang light and comfortable trekking pole supported backpack shelters out there (maybe that's what you mean by tarp tent? Like tarptent brand shelters?) that make it hard to justify a flat tarp. If so, yes, there are many options that sufficient and typically save weight vs a freestanding tent.

My 0 degree bag is under 3# and my 20 degree bag is around 2#. You can be comfortable with shelter, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag weight combined around 2# lighter than just your sleeping bag weight.

Last edited:
Definitely a dome tent, and get the lightest down packable bag you can afford. In September the mosquitos are leveling off but the flies are ramping up. At least with a dome you have a bug screen to keep them off you at night.

Regular, small, free-standing, 3-season tent (Big Agnes, Marmot, Kuiu, etc). Synthetic down bag, slightly warmer than you need (thus lighter) and take an extra down/base layer and sleep in it.

Hello all,
I’m new to backpack elk hunting. I usually car camp Colorado rifle 1st rifle season. This year we are backpack archery hunting. My big A 0 degree sleeping bag I love but it’s also over 7lbs and I’d like to keep the weight down. What are your thoughts on a tart tent for mid sept Colorado around 10,000 ft? Would I be better suited with a dome tent and a lighter sleeping bag? Any thought or insight is greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Steve
I solo elk/deer hunt in Colorado. First and second rifle seasons mostly. I run a tepee tent with inner nest. Nest provides clean, dry, bug free sleeping area. Tent and nest runs 5.4 lbs. I use a Western Mountaineering 10-deg Versalite down bag at 2.45 lbs (including stuff sack) along with a thermarest pad. I have hunted where night-time temps barely get to freezing and down to -5 deg. Haven't been cold yet in this setup. September will typically be warmer but no guarantees. My tepee can also be run as a hot tent which makes it a true four-season solution. Easy to setup and sheds water/snow pretty well.

I do the tarp thing on occasion, but if you’re new to backpacking don’t mess around with it. Get a good, light 15 degree down bag and the Copper Spur that @802flyfish is selling.

I run the mountain hardware phantom 15 degree bag and it is right around 2lbs 4 oz. The Argali 2 person tent on hunts. If I know it is going to be really cold I bring the backpacking stove and it works great.

Attachments

• IMG_5124 2 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5124 2 Medium.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1
Back