Sell me a new truck

God borbid though - if I show up with one of them chick attracting yellow go to the beach yellow limp wristed looking trucks pulling my goose neck horse trailer into a trail head with iron on all 4 what my hunting partners will have to say.
"Please park elsewhere."

I'll just leave this here.... :D

Wow. What'd he hit? Or what hit him?

Do you think if it was steel, you'd save that quarter panel? I've seen the testing and the aluminum is more dent - resistant than the old steel ever was. That wreck was going to end in a new quarter panel either way.

A lot of 1 ton trucks from various manufacturers have fiberglass and plastic bedsides. How do you think they would fare?
I wish I had a picture of the dually fender on my buddy's Chevy after a rough fast ride down a road in sub 0 temps.

Have any of you guys taken these Titans to higher mileage? I need to upsize, and am seeing quite a few for sale with 120-140k miles on them.

Tundra!

I just came upon this post and didn't read through all the posts but my vote is Tundra...all the way! I think I saw a couple posts in regard to no chains in front. There may be a way around this issue...but not sure.

I spent 2 years researching and looking for a great buy on a truck. I ended up getting a 2008 Tundra with 35,000 miles off Craigslist. It was driven by an older lady that kept it garaged! It pretty much looks like new and has all the bells and whistles. It even has a matching topper plus carpeted bed/topper liner, leather, etc.

One thing I would make sure of if you decide on a Tundra is to go with 5.7 rather than 4.6. The 4.6 seemed pretty gutless to me and got about the same gas mileage. I also liked the room of the full size Tundra rather than smaller bodied Tundra/Tacomas. There seemed no benefit with the smaller frame/body other than a little easier to maneuver through tight 4 wheel situations. I also went with the 4 door double cab rather than the crew max. It was important to me to have a little longer bed.

I really don't think you'll beat a Tundra for quality anddependablitly which was my deciding factor!

Good luck with your choice!

Randy, do not be afraid of a v-6. Especially Fords Ecoboost 3.5. I have owned many a truck and this is the most powerful gas engine of any of them I have owned. Never had anything larger than a 5.4 liter engine though. However this engine puts them to shame. Good milage when not towing, and when towing it gets like any other truck 11-13. Pulls my heavy 18" glass boat just fine and used to pull a 28 foot tow behind camper. Has the most room in the back seat of anything I have ever sat in. At least it's worth a look at

Randy, do not be afraid of a v-6. Especially Fords Ecoboost 3.5. I have owned many a truck and this is the most powerful gas engine of any of them I have owned. Never had anything larger than a 5.4 liter engine though. However this engine puts them to shame. Good milage when not towing, and when towing it gets like any other truck 11-13. Pulls my heavy 18" glass boat just fine and used to pull a 28 foot tow behind camper. Has the most room in the back seat of anything I have ever sat in. At least it's worth a look at

The Ford with an Eco-boost is the top performing engine/tranny combination for mileage and torque, no doubt. Yet, when you make this truck a serious off-road rig, a lot of the stated mileage is going out the window due to changes in the aerodynamic stance of spoilers and molding. And, the greatest decrease in mileage comes from a lift, which is going to be required with anything other than a Power Wagon.

I suspect the Eco-boost will still get the best mileage, even with some after-market modifications. And, for off-road hills carrying heavy loads, you want your torque to come at the lowers RPMs possible, a place where the Ford leads all others.

Making this truck as off-road capable as the Titan, Tundra, and Power Wagon seems to be a bit more of a challenge according to some of the after-market guys I have spoke to. It can be done, but they have told me of what it will take, a bigger project than the other three.

I just came upon this post and didn't read through all the posts but my vote is Tundra...all the way! I think I saw a couple posts in regard to no chains in front. There may be a way around this issue...but not sure.

I spent 2 years researching and looking for a great buy on a truck. I ended up getting a 2008 Tundra with 35,000 miles off Craigslist. It was driven by an older lady that kept it garaged! It pretty much looks like new and has all the bells and whistles. It even has a matching topper plus carpeted bed/topper liner, leather, etc.

One thing I would make sure of if you decide on a Tundra is to go with 5.7 rather than 4.6. The 4.6 seemed pretty gutless to me and got about the same gas mileage. I also liked the room of the full size Tundra rather than smaller bodied Tundra/Tacomas. There seemed no benefit with the smaller frame/body other than a little easier to maneuver through tight 4 wheel situations. I also went with the 4 door double cab rather than the crew max. It was important to me to have a little longer bed.

I really don't think you'll beat a Tundra for quality and dependablitly which was my deciding factor!

Good luck with your choice!

The Tundra is getting serious consideration, no doubt.

But, lack of a locking differential is a HUGE negative. I am at a loss as to why Toyota would not put that on the Tundra, when it has it one the Tacoma TRD Pro. I'm not the only guy who finds that as a big negative. All the off-road writers point it out as a serious shortcoming, in spite of Toyota's assurance that a limited slip differential is as good as a locking diff. That shortcoming is why some custom shops have found a market for building after-market kits to solve the issue, albeit at a handsome price of both equipment and installation.

If there is a way around the front chains, I've not found it. The only way I can think of is as someone mentioned earlier; go to cables on the front, rather than true chains. Not a very good solution.

The Toyota reputation for dependability is a big plus. Yet, I am not sure I could ask for more dependability than I've got from Nissan over the last ten years. Right now, the Titan has the top place on the dependability ranking, due to my personal experience of 250,000+ terrible miles without a single mechanical issue.

I've put together a spreadsheet with every variable that is important to me, comparing the features of the four trucks I am considering; Titan,Tundra, Power Wagon, F-150. If someone else was going through this process they would consider different aspects and out them in a different rank of priority due to different intended use.

Have any of you guys taken these Titans to higher mileage? I need to upsize, and am seeing quite a few for sale with 120-140k miles on them.

I wouldn't worry about the motor and transmission. Depending on years, the front and rear diffs have known issues, which I've dealt with bow and stern. Google search it..

Still a damn good truck in my book.

Locking differential

I'm amazed Toyota hasn't figured out that they are loosing customers due to the differential plus front chain issues! It sounds like the full size Tundra TRD doesn't have a locking differential?

I've gotten to the point that instead of beating up my truck I use a 4 wheeler/dirt bike to get through the nasty stuff so my truck doesn't take such a beating...and end up in spooky situtations. You obviously need to get your truck and equipment closer to where you hunt so I can understand why you need a bomber-proof, dependable truck!

There are a gob of Toyota 200,000 mile club member across the country but if Toy doesn't have all the features you are looking for I'd keep looking! I hope you have as much good luck with your new truck as you've had with your Nissen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Randy, has anyone brought up aftermarket offset rims to deal with the front clearance issue?

Yeah they have. But they also mention bigger tires in conjunction with offset rims to get the most clearance benefit, which makes it harder to find chains and reduces low RPM torque applied to the ground.

My discussion with most the after-market folks leads me to think they seldom, if ever, have chains as a consideration. They have some really cool ideas for clearance, rocks, and sand/mud, but snow/ice on steep slopes with loads in the rig are not a primary concern of many customers. It leads me to understand how quirky my demands/needs are, compared to most the off-roaders. And, that there is probably a niche for an off-road company to focus on the off-road needs of hunters as compared to the needs of traditional off-roaders.

My discussion with most the after-market folks leads me to think they seldom, if ever, have chains as a consideration. They have some really cool ideas for clearance, rocks, and sand/mud, but snow/ice on steep slopes with loads in the rig are not a primary concern of many customers. It leads me to understand how quirky my demands/needs are, compared to most the off-roaders. And, that there is probably a niche for an off-road company to focus on the off-road needs of hunters as compared to the needs of traditional off-roaders.

This is going to forever brand me as a city slicker.

I wound up taking an off-road driving course, since a hunter's off-road requirements, namely getting there and back with minimum fuss, are different from most recreational off-road drivers who are basically trying to see who can get stuck the worst, generally in mud. The outfit I went with, Overland Experts, deals mostly with power companies, various branches of the federal govt, and NGOs, as well as recreational users who want to get there and back with minimum fuss. They are located in Connecticut, of all places. It might be useful to talk to them.

I think it's the gear we use and the weight factor Randy.
Sort of the same when I was a Park Ranger and in the country builder buss., I have same old mindset.
Most folks scoff at me when I mention chains here in NM,tho I only use them on the back once in a while.
Then again I'm in lighter Tacoma most of the time,with way less gear than you and rarely the trailer.
Wish my F-150 had more heavy duty locking systems at times ...like my 65' 250 did. It was a tank.
Locking hubs and differentials are needed in heavy use ,as much as clearance.IMHO
I don't know why these things aren't considered as standard options any more....but you sure can get a flashy color option,LOL

Last edited:
There's way more emphasis on making trucks pretty these days, than the idea of making them work off road. That goes for all the makes. mtmuley

If you are in need of a Tundra with just over 220,000 miles and no mechanical issues, let me know. Notice, it does stink of me and GuNR. Makes a great cab, motel room about 30 days a year....I will throw in a few air fresheners.:D

There's way more emphasis on making trucks pretty these days, than the idea of making them work off road. That goes for all the makes. mtmuley

Ain't that the truth. I rode in a new Chevy and Ford this past weekend and was blown away with how nice they are. Everyone likes creature comforts on any vehicle but it seems to be getting a little crazy and with that comes price. Comparing the two, I would say the Ford may be a little more "truck" with a bit more clearance and didn't feel as enclosed. (Its tough to say this as a guy who drives a GMC, but the new model really seems to be more of a "city" truck). Both had enormous cabs and were really comfortable - even with 4 grown men (We put 7 in the Chevy and while it was cramped it wasn't awful for a short drive). Seems like manufacturers are figuring out that most truck owners don't really use trucks for work or offroad stuff and are building trucks for those folks. I haven't been in a Nissan or a Toyota in a long time and would be interested to see how they stack up. Good luck with this, Randy, It'll be quite interesting to see your decision making process and what you ultimately go with. Have fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back