Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sell me a new truck

"Banana Yellow" You would look good in one of those. :D

Everybody would know where you are hunting.

A buddy and I encountered this truck while out hunting a few years back, and I was certain I had found Randy's secret spot. Alas, it is a Ford. ;)

Attachments

• Randy.jpg
    Randy.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 1,084
'Good explanation of the PR process, Big Fin. It brings to mind the commercials featuring Sam Elliot speaking with his distinctive manly voice describing tough Ram trucks shown hauling heavy construction loads or driving through rugged terrain. Ford employs similar messages.

Nissan banana yellow!? Really??

Good stuff Randy!
I always laugh at the tough guy ads(AD Guys/sales weasles) and think these clowns don't know chit about apple butter...(you know how I would phrase it)..and take a really good idea and product and wreck it..............
I laughed at your'"Guys who signed the list" but don't drive the rigs.....say's it all.

If I'd have to guess Randy,you do know chit from apple butter in more than one conversation.....and context.

Last edited:
Like I've said, get the truck you want, add the stuff you need. None of them do it all without some aftermarket help. mtmuley

LOL...that thing looks like a cross between a dodge and peterbuilt...
...only it's a circus truck,Hah
Sorry,looks like Nissan hired the same guys that Toyota did and tried to produce something that looks like a big 'Merican truck for an ad.
That is one ugly grill/front end!:eek:

I haven't head much of a mention for chevy. Well besides me anyway. Are they off the list?

Correct; off the list. They just do not have a model that would be suited for what I need. They have many models for many other applications. And, I had a 2002 Silverado that by 2004 had spent as many days in the shop as it had in the field. I vowed to never own another one after the continual repairs of the drive train that eventually left me stranded on a cold November deer hunt.

No GM but you would consider the F150? Interesting. The F150 has always seemed like a truck that car guys (and girls) would drive if they wanted to haul a couch or something. mtmuley

Be surprised. Ask the dealer about it and go try one out. Mine spins all four tires in the snow/mud or whatever, as long as you turn off the stupid traction systems. Monster system.

When I see a tundrawith one front and one rear tire in the air climb over some rocks or a schematic of how they mechanically lock the two differential side gears to one another in that front diff I will eat crow.

He then asked, "Why do I not know about you? We called the network for names, why did they not give us your name?" I just shrugged my shoulders. I pointed to the placard listing the TV folks who drove Fords and Chevys and who would later be signing autographs at the Nissan booth; with as much humor as I could muster, I smiled and said something like, "I'm sure those folks know who I am." He asked for my card and told me I would be hearing from him. Good thing I did not stand by the phone waiting for his call.

Those pictures of the dead wolf a while back did not help any, either. The big truck market by numbers IMO is to surfer dudes - attracting chicks into the truck will be more difficult once Toyota tweets that nissan drivers whack wolves.

Good luck - this is one of those threads where I went back to the beginning and read all the posts. Very useful.

Since I live in the middle of Houston and only get to go hunting occasionally, I have a 4runner. So far it has done well, but I think I will install one of those Eaton G-80s and a set of spacers on the front wheels for chain clearance.

Those pictures of the dead wolf a while back did not help any, either. The big truck market by numbers IMO is to surfer dudes - attracting chicks into the truck will be more difficult once Toyota tweets that nissan drivers whack wolves.

Good luck - this is one of those threads where I went back to the beginning and read all the posts. Very useful.

Since I live in the middle of Houston and only get to go hunting occasionally, I have a 4runner. So far it has done well, but I think I will install one of those Eaton G-80s and a set of spacers on the front wheels for chain clearance.
If you want an aftermarket locking diff there are many options (ox, detroit, arb) are some of the best research before buying.

As a MN boy I have yet to use a set of chains, but I suppose I probably could have used them more than once. As for the truck topic, I'm currently in a 2012 F150 with the Ecoboost. I insisted on the max tow package and the 6.5ft bed. I'm sure you would want the 5.5' bed since this truck is long. A little longer than I would like for off-road hunting, but for everything else I use the truck for the the extra bed space works.

I have hit and folded over the plastic molding on the front bumper several times and it is still intact and I have gone so far as tearing off the front skid plate, but the skid plate worked as planned and I had the plate repaired when we returned to the city. So far I have been more than impressed. You will be grinning from ear to ear as you self-hitch your boat using the backup camera. I swear that camera has saved my marriage more than once. I've got 50K miles on my truck and 10K of that is towing a 5k lb camper all over this country. I have no complaints. I just added a new set of Goodyear Duratracs and the truck has been fantastic.

I'm excited to hit Wyoming in December in a couple weeks. I know there are two creek crossings in the way of where I want to hunt.

Good luck in your truck search. This has been a great discussion.

I suspect that if Nissan's outside ad agency and PR firm read this post, I don't have to worry about any official sponsorship that would include a truck, so if I end up buying another Titan, you can rest assured that I did so because I thought it was the best place for me to invest $40K-50K in a truck that is an integral tool we use to produce this public land message.

This post has been one of the better ones in a long time. Send this to Nissan if you think it'll help your cause.

I am in the market for a new truck and have looked at everything that I thought would fit my needs - that is except Nissan. Never thought them sand beach going rigs were fit for what I pull or where I go. I will go and try one based on some of these responses.

God borbid though - if I show up with one of them chick attracting yellow go to the beach yellow limp wristed looking trucks pulling my goose neck horse trailer into a trail head with iron on all 4 what my hunting partners will have to say.

We called the network for names, why did they not give us your name?" I just shrugged my shoulders. I pointed to the placard listing the TV folks who drove Fords and Chevys and who would later be signing autographs at the Nissan booth

One of the many hidden treasures of outdoor TV. I can only imagine the names that were given to this particular ad agency.

Look at what Dodge has done with the likes of Eva, Cam and the Drury group. When was the last time Eva or any of them even flipped it to 4x4 on a hunt? When's the last time they even drove their own vehicle to an actual hunt? Jump on a plane, get picked up by some outfitter and go hunt from their cozy lodge.

Goes to show you how those of us passionate about western hunting, public lands and doing it ourselves are such a minority in the industry. Attend SHOT show or any of the big trade shows and you'll see first hand why most of these "TV personalities" that reside and hunt out east get so much more handed to them with regards to brand deals and sponsors.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back