New half ton truck, what is your thoughts??

Is there anything wrong with the truck you have now? Mileage isn’t too bad for the year, and modern trucks post 2008 last longer on the odometer. Plus, I assume it’s paid for.

If it ain’t broke….
You are a mind reader.😀😀 the only issue is the dash board light flickers, annoying at night. I do have good tires on it and I think will hold off for a year. Maybe I should make payments on this paid off truck for a year to savings, so when I do buy one I have a better down payment.

You are a mind reader.😀😀 the only issue is the dash board light flickers, annoying at night. I do have good tires on it and I think will hold off for a year. Maybe I should make payments on this paid off truck for a year to savings, so when I do buy one I have a better down payment.
My thoughts exactly. I'm doing the same thing. I got one I'm holding onto but am saving for a newer truck. But I'm a guy who will run it into the ground, so that may never happen.

Payments suck when you haven't been making them. Lol

If that were true, then there would be cheap used non-Toyota trucks available.

There aren't cheap used Chevy, Dodge, and Ford trucks for sale because they all hold their value well.
Toyota's are going downhill IMO anyway. The last gen Tacoma is a dog. Way underpowered and uncomfortable. The only reason people buy them is because they are cool and supposedly hold their value well. I think the new Tundra is a step down from the last gen Tundra too. Yea it gets better mileage and has a better fit and finish perhaps, but I just don't see it having the same reliability.

I deal with Toyota fanboys/gals on a regular basis, so I like to bash them!

When I bought the F150, I had visited the local Toyota dealers.

I wasn’t impressed with the service departments or the sale’s support. I never could find a comfortable seat in the tundra’s and the backseat felt cramped.

None of the sales people cared to address my concerns about towing capabilities.

But in fairness, neither did any of the other dealer brands either.

I scoured a lot of web forums for the information that lead to me getting what I wanted.

Last edited:
If you get the right financing terms down payment value can become irrelevant.

I bought a new F150 in January. 0% down, 0% financing, and a $1000 rebate for financing through them. I told them i was paying cash and negotiated price. After we agreed upon a cash price they informed me of the 0% financing option which actually knocked $1k off the negotiated price. Catch is it needed to be financed for 3 years so someone shopping for a payment # might not like it.

Ford is facing multiple lawsuits over their transmissions.

Tell me more?

I had a '16 3.5 ecoboost until Jan with the 6 speed that i actually preferred over the 10 speeds i've had in '18 and now '22 3.5 ecoboosts. The 10 speed seems to "clunk" into gear a lot more when going from coasting to on throttle.

If that were true, then there would be cheap used non-Toyota trucks available.

There aren't cheap used Chevy, Dodge, and Ford trucks for sale because they all hold their value well.

Nationwide 2015-2018 used trucks under $20k

Ford 150 = 2717

Chevrolet Silverado = 1953

Dodge Ram 1500 = 2298

Toyota Tundra = 183

Plenty of affordable used domestics out there in comparison. Roughly 10x

Tell me more?

I had a '16 3.5 ecoboost until Jan with the 6 speed that i actually preferred over the 10 speeds i've had in '18 and now '22 3.5 ecoboosts. The 10 speed seems to "clunk" into gear a lot more when going from coasting to on throttle.
I've got a '13 f150 5.0 6 speed that I love. Wife has a '19 f150 5.0 10 speed that's hot garbage. I feel like the transmission is going to rapidly disassemble itself at some point.

I've got a '13 f150 5.0 6 speed that I love. Wife has a '19 f150 5.0 10 speed that's hot garbage. I feel like the transmission is going to rapidly disassemble itself at some point.

I did a search of some of the lawsuit stuff and it sounds like primarily a computer/control/driving experience issue rather than a transmission life expectancy issue which is maybe an optimistic viewpoint.. I traded in my '16 with 130k and zero issues because I was worried about big repair bills on the horizon. Hopefully the new gal does well with a little more clunk in the transmission.

Funny thing is I was convinced i wanted to go to a new tundra after having driven 2010-2018 F150s for the past 500k miles. After test driving 2 tundras, the transmissions felt more clunky to me and in general the ride quality and sightlines out of the pickup seemed like a step down so i went back to ford. I've had a handful of Hemi Ram half ton rentals over the years and will say they drive the nicest and have an impressively smooth transmission, i just have a hangup on reliability/resale value perception with them that may not be based on fact.

Nationwide 2015-2018 used trucks under $20k

Ford 150 = 2717

Chevrolet Silverado = 1953

Dodge Ram 1500 = 2298

Toyota Tundra = 183

Plenty of affordable used domestics out there in comparison. Roughly 10x

Sure, but there are likely five F150s sold in the U.S for every one Tundra. Having recently been in the used Tundra market I think they hold more value, but all trucks are pretty high the last few years.

My 2017 F150 with the 6 speed at work stuck itself in 1st gear last month. I left a vineyard and it shifted just fine for a few miles, and then after stopping and turning onto the highway it decided to be a 1 speed. I limped it down the road to a safe pull out and waited for our farm boss to show up and I guess it settled/ cooled down while I was waiting. Drove it back to the station and it's been fine :confused:

I know for a fact that the payload on a 23 or newer F150 can go over 2500lbs.
View attachment 296433

Most dealers just haven’t got a clue how to order it though.

Yes, that’s the payload sticker on my 2023 F150 and it’s rated for a 18,300 GCVWR.

Empty it’s 5700 lbs and rated for a 13,200 trailer.
View attachment 296434

I had to special order the package and told them if the payload sticker was under 2500 lbs, they were going to get stuck with the truck.

5.0 coyote Flexfuel V8, 4X4, 3.73 elocker, 6.5’ bed.

The 36-gal fuel tank and 20-21 mpg gives me about a 670+ mile range.

I traded a 2012 ram 2500 Cummins in on a 2020 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and the salesperson gave me a line of bovine excrement that 8 months later led me to order my 2023.
Saved me a bunch of typing. Ive owned both Coyote and Ecoboost. Both are powerful, ecoboost gives a bigblock vibe. Coyote has a hotrod vibe, and I think an edge in reliability.

I have owned Ram trucks since 2012, one 2012 model which I traded in 2020 for another. Both have been flawless. I owned mostly GM for 30 years prior to that and had a few issues during warranty but all were taken care of. Owned one Toyota, worst vehicle I ever owned. Traded it with 22,000 miles and was glad to get rid of it. Only vehicle I ever owned that left me sit - twice.

I did that very thing for 3 years before getting my new truck. My down payment was almost 1/2 the cost of the whole truck.
I always make a "payment" for a vehicle note or no note...Wrote a check for half of the truck I bought in '21...was gonna pay in full but the low interest rate I got it made more sense to let half that money earn interest.

Tell me more?

I second this. I drive a 16 ecoboost and my wife drives a 18 expedition max. I prefer the 6 speed. I've driven a 5.0 with the 10 speed and it seemed like a better match than the ecoboost.

Another thing to consider is where your driving that new truck. My 16 isn't a beater by any means, but I take it places I would not be willing to go with a brand new truck...

There will be good and bad stories for every single vehicle out there. I’ve owned more trucks than I’d like to admit. My favorite is my current Tacoma. Buy what you like and feel suits your needs best. If fuel economy is one of them, don’t buy the Tacoma haha. My 18’ f150 3.5eco got better gas mileage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back