Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sell me a new truck

The ol '97 Chevy half ton is still bumping around the hills for me but all this information is good to know for the day i can buy a new truck! I can however attest to the quality of those Tundras. Dad owned one for a few years.

All good thoughts. But don't over think it. Buy the truck you like/best fits your needs, take it to Gary at diesel pros in belgrade. He will line you out. Serious off roader with jeeps/trucks. He is a former vet super honest.

I bought a 14 3500 (tow fiver and boat) took him to lunch we discussed what I wanted and less than 600 miles on trk I put new shocks, level kit, tires, winch, bumpers, etc. it was $6k less than a stealership, better quality parts and done right.

Forgot. I sold my stock bumpers, tires and rims on Craigslist. Got $1500 or $1600 total. There is always someone looking for newer wheels, tires or replace a dinged bumper at fraction of price of stealership. Also auto body shops will sometimes buy new bumpers or trade work.

question, do you prefer a "selectable" locker to allows the driver to lock and unlock the differential at will from the driver's seat ? do you get lockable differentials on front and back ?

This probably isn't aimed at me but I'll give you my thoughts on lockers and see if it helps.
For the rear I would add a selectable locker if you need to drive on snow or ice covered roads 10% of the time or on dry pavement 50% of the time or more.
If not than a automatic locker like the Detroit locker is simple and strong.

For the front. First I wouldn't put a locker in an independent front suspension like a half ton truck it just won't hold up to the abuse.
I would use a selectable locker in the front if you ever need to use 4x4 on snow or ice its just to hard to control an automatic locker on ice. Also you will find it harder to steer in tight situations with a locker in the front so its nice to be able to turn it off. Otherwise a automatic locker is the way to go for reliability and simplicity.

My personal favorite selectable locker is the ox locker its simple, strong and very well built. For a automatic the Detroit is the standard everything is compared to. Do some searches and read a few 4x4 forums before buying

I agree with you elkmagnet. If money is no object I would always go selectable front and rear. But for me with a tundy we only have 2 choices that's ARB "selectable" or auburn for the rear only "non-selectable" and for $600 auburn is the only option for me.

Good info, thanks!

Do you leave the spacers on year round?

Yes I run them year round. I put them on because I run stick wheels and wanted the tires to stick out flush with the fenders (like an offset aftermarket wheel). Make sure you get hub centric spacers that's important.

I love my 2012 Tundra Rock Warrior Package and I can tow almost anything without even knowing it is there. That said, for hunting I am thinking the Tacoma might be better. Tow capacity is 6800 lbs. If that is a concern get the Tundra.

It is in the features. Yes, electronically locking rear differential. Make sure you read about the off road capability that makes this truck so hunter appealing.

Toyota Tacoma

Crawl Control

Multi-Terrain Select

Last edited:
I'm much like you on what I require of my truck and the way I need it to perform in the fall. I also needed a truck that would allow me to run chains on the front (real chains not cables) because sometimes that is the only way you are getting around in some areas. I've read through most of this and agree with almost everything you have said about the trucks you have checked out. I beat my truck as hard if not harder than anyone so I'm saying that before going forward.

The one huge problem for a lot of us in new trucks is the upper shock mount is too close to the front tire to allow the use of tire chains. I had this problem in my ram 1500 and it's really an easy problem to cure with the same solution needed for Toyota, Ram (1/2 tons) and Ford. It seems that GMC/Chevy have the only 1/2 tons with enough clearance in stock trim to run tire chains up front. The solution for the other brands requires the purchase of aftermarket wheels with different backspacing. I ran wheels from les schwab that had 4.5" of backspacing which caused my tires to stick out from the truck an inch or so but gave me plenty of room for chains which solved my problem. After a few years I sold my 1/2 ton dodge and now drive a Ram 3500 mega cab diesel. I added a lift and bigger tires to suit my own desires but the ride in the newer diesels isn't bad compared to years past. I take this big truck everywhere imaginable but maybe it's because I'm not afraid of a few scratches or a dent every now and then. I also added a replacement bumper which really opens up the front from any low hanging factory plastic that can get ripped off in the woods. Essentially I wouldn't steer away from a truck that won't accept chains on the front in stock trim because it can be handled with the purchase of a different set of wheels. Good luck in your truck search!

//Derrick//

Section 179 deduction, not a bad deal. Can't complain when I go to the accountant and she tells me the best thing would be to buy a 'new' truck... DARN!!

one more thing id recommend when it comes to winching is a receiver type of winch mount.ive got a warn 9500 on the" transformer" front end and ive got a power quick connect also set up for the rear receiver.there are times when you really need to winch backwards and this reciever type set up is highly recommended.I have used mine rearward a few times and it worth it weight in gold when you need it. on what ever rig you pick,,check into this set up.

Well, after 115,000 miles of abuse, Titan #4 is in the shop this weekend. I spent the last week chasing mountain lions in deep snow. Thursday I was towing two snowmobiles and we hit some serious snow drifts; like "up to the hood" serious. It was dark and in the whiteout of winds blowing snow, I did not realize how big the drifts were and how long it was to get through it.

I had it in 4WD with the VDC turned off. The three passengers said nothing as the truck bounced and jumped up and down while digging to find enough traction. Snow was blowing over the windshield as I floored it, making visibility even worse. Never has this truck burned at 4,500+ RPMs, let alone for the time it took to crawl out of this 200 yard mess. I suspect 4WD is not made for that kind of RPMs for extended periods, especially with a load of four guys, their gear, and two snowmobiles.

When we made it through, and we did make it through without have to shovel or chain up, a collective sigh of relief came from the passengers, much like Schmalts gave when we broke through the frozen creek in Wyoming last month. Some profanity was used by the guests to explain their sympathy for my equipment and their worry that we would be walking to the highway in this blizzard.

A few miles down the road all my drivetrain indicators lit up; SLIP, ABS, VDC. I pulled aside and took it out of 4WD to see if the indicators would turn off. Nope. I turned off the ignition and restarted the truck to see if the indicators would be lit up when I turned it back on. Yup, still on.

Oh well, I headed down the hill to where we would get to the asphalt. I tried to put it back in 4WD and it would not engage. I messed around with it, but could not get it to engage. I got back to town and dumped the snowmobile and trailer. Then, dropped the truck off at the dealership for inspection.

I now find myself in a finger-pointing situation between a dealership who claims the wrong fluid was used when I had the differentials serviced two weeks ago and the service place who assures me the fluids used were those recommended by Nissan. Whether it was a fluid issue or just the culmination of hundreds of abusive events placed on this drive train, it really doesn't matter to me. I think it is time for a new truck. If I have to use the Honda Pilot for the WY bison hunt later this month while I continue my truck search, I guess that's what I'll do.

I spent yesterday afternoon inspecting some of the same trucks again. Will be doing more of the same today. Right now, the list is ranked as shown below, even if Forbes magazine thinks a 2015 Titan is not a value purchase.

1 - 2015 Titan
2 - 2016 Tundra TRD Pro
3 - 2016 Dodge Power Ram

Two other variables could alter this final decision.

First, Nissan will be coming out with their non-XD Titan later this year. I might wait until that comes out, if the new version is built for the level of off-road abuse built into the current PRO-4X model.

Second, I have an company wanting me to use their side-by-side vehicles. If that deal comes together, I might not need at truck that needs to serve as a side-by-side/ATV. If that happens, the Ford F150 FX4 Ecoboost replaces the Dodge Power Ram on the list above and will be very close in comparison to the Tundra, due to the mileage, low-end torque, and HP. If Mrs. Fin hits the lottery, I guess I might wait for a 2017 Ford Raptor, but given those have an MSRP beyond what I paid for two lake lots, I don't see that as an option.

Back