Yeti GOBOX Collection

Any Experience with GM 3.0l Duramax Diesel 1500 Trucks?

chuckchili

I am thinking about getting a new truck and was looking pretty hard at the GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 3.0l Duramax engine. They say it can tow 13,000+ pounds with a payload of 2000 pounds and gets good gas mileage. I was wondering if anyone one has any first hand experience with one they would care to share. I have a travel trailer that weighs 6700 dry/ 8700 loaded and sometimes have an ATV in the truck bed while towing the trailer. I probably only use the trailer 6-7 times a year but seem to do all the steep mountain passes in Colorado when I do. I've seen some youtube videos of people towing with it but you never know what side their bread's buttered on. Any help/advice would be appreciated!

I went with the 6.2 for towing a similar set up. The diesel was just too much maintenance cost and dealing with DEF was an expensive repair on my last duramax.

That being said the 6.2 does great. The max tow package is a joke. It came with crappy SUV/car tires and squatted quite a bit even with the weight distribution hitch.

I ended up putting air bags on it and will have to replace the Bridgestone tires. They are speed rated and max out at 45psi. The truck feels like it’s on grease when there are grooves in the lanes. Any speed past 65 is dangerous.

CPO had one for a couple of years. Nice truck, good mileage but towing mileage wasn't much better than gas (only towed a loaded 6x10 trailer) and the difference in price of the truck, fuel and maintenance were just too much. Just traded it in on a Tundra TRD.

Two of my buddies have one. One does not tow and has only had the truck for a few months. The other has had the truck for almost 2 years and tows only a 3,500lb camper with it. He is very happy with the truck and gets in the low 30s when not towing on the highway. It really isn't a comparison for what you are asking but I hope it helps. Everyone with a DEF equipped truck that I know has been to the dealer more than once. My wife really wants me to upgrade my 6.7L Cummins to a newer model. I have no DEF and it has never been to the dealer for emissions issues in 250K.

I can tell you that the new GMC1500 with the diesel are quiet, ride great and very nice, way too fancy for me

Lifted from an AT4 Forum site...

DETROIT –
GMC announced today that it will make the rugged and refined second-generation 3.0L inline-six Duramax Turbo-Diesel engine standard on its extreme off-road Sierra 1500 AT4X trim, allowing customers to go further and explore more in their off-road adventures.

First introduced on select 2023 Sierra 1500 trims, the updated 3.0L Duramax engine comes standard with a 10-speed automatic transmission and delivers max power of 305 horsepower (a 10% increase compared to MY22), and max torque of 495 lb-ft (a 7.6% increase from MY22).

“The 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel engine has long been a favorite of Sierra light duty owners,” said Will Mellon, marketing manager, GMC Sierra. “Since the launch of the refined Duramax for the 2023 model year, around 20% of all Sierra 1500s sold have come with the engine and we expect its addition to the AT4X trim to take mix even higher.”

The Duramax Turbo-Diesel engine’s advancements are made possible through several key component upgrades, including:

• New steel pistons with a revised combustion bowl
  • Retuned turbo compressor
  • New fuel injectors
  • Improved temperature control features
“These refinements of the 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel engine took an already awesome engine and made it even better for off-road applications,” said John Barta, GM assistant chief engineer, Diesel Engines. “The outstanding low-end torque combined with the smooth and quiet power of this diesel engine, make it ideal for customers requiring on-road capability for things like towing, as well as off-road adventures like long-distance overlanding.”

The Duramax engine will continue to be assembled at GM’s Flint Engine Operations plant in Michigan1 and will be available on the 2024 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X later this summer.

With advanced off-road capability, premium technology and an exclusive, luxuriously appointed interior, the Sierra 1500 AT4X allows customers to venture further off-road with confidence and in comfort. Standard features such as Multimatic DSSV dampers, front and rear e-locking differentials, combined with the additional capability of the available AEV edition, make this the most off-road capable factory Sierra 1500 ever. All with the luxury-focused and tech-infused AT4X Obsidian Rush interior, which features full grain leather-wrapped massaging front seats, authentic ash wood trim, a 12-speaker Bose® Premium Series audio system and more than 40 diagonal inches of combined digital displays.

The 2024 model year also brings additional new features across the Sierra 1500 lineup, including:

• New power retractable assist steps on Denali, Denali Ultimate, AT4 and AT4X
  • Available active exhaust for Denali, Denali Ultimate, AT4, AT4X and SLT
  • Two additional premium aluminum wheels
  • Two new unique and bold exterior paint colors, Downpour Metallic and Thunderstorm Gray2
Finally, for the 2024 model year, the 2.7L Turbo High-Output Engine will now carry the name TurboMax. With 310 hp, a best-in-class standard torque rating of 430 lb-ft4 and max available towing of 9,500 lbs3, the TurboMax engine provides GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation, SLE and Pro customers with the power and capability necessary to take their work or hobbies further, whether that’s towing gear or tackling off-road trails.

I am thinking about getting a new truck and was looking pretty hard at the GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 3.0l Duramax engine. They say it can tow 13,000+ pounds with a payload of 2000 pounds and gets good gas mileage. I was wondering if anyone one has any first hand experience with one they would care to share. I have a travel trailer that weighs 6700 dry/ 8700 loaded and sometimes have an ATV in the truck bed while towing the trailer. I probably only use the trailer 6-7 times a year but seem to do all the steep mountain passes in Colorado when I do. I've seen some youtube videos of people towing with it but you never know what side their bread's buttered on. Any help/advice would be appreciated!
I have a 2021 GMC 1500 Crew cab w/Elevation package and the 3.0 diesel. That said, I love the truck and just a few days ago while on a 12 hour interstate trip averaged 26.6mpg (truck has 36,000 miles on it now).

Towing is solid with a 14ft tandem trailer loaded with my Honda Pioneer 1000, log splitter, and other gear. If you go heavier I'd suggest putting bags in the rear suspension and going with a 10ply tire over the stock 4 ply Goodyear. The torque rating is greater than the 6.2 liter and the mpg is much better. I don't mind the oil changes (take 8 quarts) since I do them myself and the DEF isn't much to gripe about. There's a lot to like about a low rpm diesel purring along with plenty of torque to get the job done. Of note, I also load mine down with a skid of feed and wood pellets without issue.

Mark

Following closely. I do a lot of hwy driving and boat towing. This motor seems perfect.

Thanks all for the input so far. I'm going from an older 2500HD diesel so there will be some differences but I think I only tow the trailer around 4-6 times a year so I don't know the cost of a "big" truck is warranted for me. Before the 2500, I had a horrible experience with the Ecodiesel so I'm a little gun shy on a smaller diesel engine, DEF fluid and a brand new truck. I just keep hearing nothing but good things about this one.

Old man had a minimax in a canyon and only had one weird issue with it. No intel on the 3.0L for the 1500s but I like the concept. 30mpg in a 1500 size truck definitely makes one think. Old man and I both have the duramax in 3500s and they have been pretty solid. Fuel mileage is not great though.

So my comment for you is about DEF. Ive noticed the systems are highly inaccurate and touchy. Gauges do not measure tanks levels or predict range well. I usually used cheap DEF and then tried the platinum stuff once after having issues. Was surprised that the DEF system not only became more accurate, but also used a lot less. They claim it cleans out deposits and is more efficient, Id agree. Now I mix it every other tank to offset the cost. I also had a sensor in the exhaust go bad due to the DEF and EGR systems - both horrible gov mandates.

With an atv in the bed plus a travel trailer similar to mine in size, you will absolutely want air bags and a nice weight distribution tow hitch. Going up a big grade will probably tax the motor quite a bit but Im guessing it would handle it without issue. 2000 lbs bed capacity is not a lot though when you include the atv, gear, and passenger weight. 5-6 times a year though, not worth stepping up to 2500. Plus the new 1500s have capacities similar to older 2500s.

Last edited:
Old man had a minimax in a canyon and only had one weird issue with it. No intel on the 3.0L for the 1500s but I like the concept. 30mpg in a 1500 size truck definitely makes one think. Old man and I both have the duramax in 3500s and they have been pretty solid. Fuel mileage is not great though.

So my comment for you is about DEF. Ive noticed the systems are highly inaccurate and touchy. Gauges do not measure tanks levels or predict range well. I usually used cheap DEF and then tried the platinum stuff once after having issues. Was surprised that the DEF system not only became more accurate, but also used a lot less. They claim it cleans out deposits and is more efficient, Id agree. Now I mix it every other tank to offset the cost. I also had a sensor in the exhaust go bad due to the DEF and EGR systems - both horrible gov mandates.

With an atv in the bed plus a travel trailer similar to mine in size, you will absolutely want air bags and a nice weight distribution tow hitch. Going up a big grade will probably tax the motor quite a bit but Im guessing it would handle it without issue. 2000 lbs bed capacity is not a lot though when you include the atv, gear, and passenger weight. 5-6 times a year though, not worth stepping up to 2500. Plus the new 1500s have capacities similar to older 2500s.
My best mpg of more than 50 miles is 36.2 but in full transparency I was feathering the pedal.

Mark

My best mpg of more than 50 miles is 36.2 but in full transparency I was feathering the pedal.

Mark
0-1000lbs in the bed of a 3500, can get 20 mpg on flat ground, no wind going 70mph. But I live in the mountains… so 15-17mpg is more normal. Towing 10,000 lbs I get 10-12 mpg.

Really curious what the 1500 3.0 diesel gets for mileage, regular every day and towing. Do you have the 3.0 @MtsPSU ?

I have a couple farmer customers who have them, they like them when they are running but both have been in the shop for various computer and emissons issues.

I used to be a mechanic for a large dairy farm and they started replacing older feeding loaders with new ones that had def and dpf systems in them. We had tons of issues with those new loaders. That really left a bad taste in my mouth for modern diesels.

I love the idea of the mileage and torque of these little diesels but fear that any money saved on fuel would be spent on extra trips to the shop that may not have happened with a gasser.

0-1000lbs in the bed of a 3500, can get 20 mpg on flat ground, no wind going 70mph. But I live in the mountains… so 15-17mpg is more normal. Towing 10,000 lbs I get 10-12 mpg.

Really curious what the 1500 3.0 diesel gets for mileage, regular every day and towing. Do you have the 3.0 @MtsPSU ?
Yes, I have the ‘21 GMC 1500 crew cab elevation package with the 3.0. I routinely get 26+ regular driving. It drops to high teens 18+- when pulling my 14 ft tandem loaded.

Consider this, the diesel also has a 5 year 100k warranty on the drivetrain and only 50k for the gas engine. Just put new tires on yesterday at 36,000 miles.

Mark

Yes, I have the ‘21 GMC 1500 crew cab elevation package with the 3.0. I routinely get 26+ regular driving. It drops to high teens 18+- when pulling my 14 ft tandem loaded.

Consider this, the diesel also has a 5 year 100k warranty on the drivetrain and only 50k for the gas engine. Just put new tires on yesterday at 36,000 miles.

Mark
You need better tires. IMO if utilizing a diesel, better go 10 ply 🤷🏻‍♂️

Good to know about the mileage, thanks @MtsPSU 36k mi for stock tires is pretty good.

Will just throw this out there for tires. 35” BFG KO2 10 ply tires on my 3500 HD diesel got almost 50,000 miles, half of those towing. On my second set now but went back to stock (34”) tires. Rotate every oil change ~7,000 mi. Nitrogen filled. The stock tires only got 15,000 miles, no surprise.

I have a 2020 Silverado 1500 LT with the 3.0 Duramax. Really like the truck, It has 26k on it now. The issues are adding up however. My DEF fluid control was re programmed or replaced at around 800 miles. Window noise has been a issue that is yet to be resolved, twice at dealer (intermittently humming when raising or lowering). Started noticing oil drops a while back. After sometime with diagnosing, lower rear seal was determined to be leaking..

We opted to go for the new Chevy gas truck, and that sucker has plenty of power. We pull 32 foot gooseneck cattle trailers, and it doesn’t have ALL of the diesel power, but it works pretty well. Only thing you miss while pulling is the exhaust brake. I like this truck better than our last gas Ram with the big 6.4 or whatever it was in their.

All this as a long winded answer to say in your instance, a 2500 with that gasser seems like a good compromise.

Thanks everyone for the information. After a horrible experience with the Dodge Ecodiesel a couple years ago, I'm a little gun shy on mini diesels. Our trailer was totaled by the insurance company yesterday for hail damage and we have been talking about a smaller one so maybe that helps me connect the dots a little.

I realize this thread is a little old but figured I'd offer my opinion in case anyone is still considering one of these. I bought one in late August of 2023, but it's a 2024 model. It now has about 8k miles on it. No issues. I love the truck, it really was a no brainer. It was actually 2k cheaper than the 5.3L V8. I previously owned a GMC sierra 1500 5.3L and this does amazingly better on fuel economy. I've averaged over 30mpg on trips unloaded. It's unbelievable for a truck. I tow a 22ft Key West with it with no issues. The fuel economy isn't great when towing but considering I'm not towing way more than I am it doesn't concern me. It absolutely sips DEF unless it's under strain (towing). I used to own a F250 7.3L and trust me when I say I can not even tell I'm in a diesel in this new truck. Super quiet and smooth. I think the only sacrifice you're potentially making compared to a V8 is horsepower, but it has plenty of pep for me. Time will tell with any issues but so far I've been very impressed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back