Sell me a new truck

You better buy that local TRD Pro before I do..

You are too late. When I showed up this morning, they had already sold it to some guy last weekend. Got to look at it and check it out. Some aspects were very impressive, a few other aspects left me with questions. I'm pretty critical, so I am probably more focused on the shortcomings of each model than I am the benefits. Overall, still on the list of considerations.

Pros -

- Toyota reputation and resell value.
- 32 gallon fuel tank.
- Huge interior cab.
- Time-tested platform, engine, and drive train.
- Pricing is better than expected, compared to Raptor and Rebel.
- Towing and torque ratings for a truck that will provide a very comfortable ride.
- Good clearance in how the undercarriage items are tucked away or protected by other parts of the chassis.

Cons -

- Cannot chain up the front, which I have to do many times each year. Clearance is just not there. Maybe with cable chains.
- Dual exhaust is going to get busted/torn off within two years based on how they did it. Just add it to my maintenance budget.
- Skid plating leaves a lot to be desired.
- Not a true locking rear differential, from what I can gather. Can you call it a true off-road rig without locking differentials? Trying to figure out how an Automatic Limited Slip Differential works.
- Pricing is high when compared to the Titan.
- Color options. One is butt ugly and the other will show scratches like crazy.
- Plastic bumpers will be history given some of the approach and exit angles I find myself in. Will need to swap out for after-market items.
- Mirrors are not made for towing trailers.
- Large dimensions for the tight spots I take my truck.

GMC (Chevy with lockwashers) 2500 HD crew 6.0 gas has everything you want and need Randy.
1382090_10204693534116440_6091294865879565796_n.jpg

GMC (Chevy with lockwashers) 2500 HD crew 6.0 gas has everything you want and need Randy.

That's a nice truck.

Randy, getting into tight spots means you just need to drive faster sometimes.

The desert pinstrips can be a pain, but you have to understand, some cows worked over the paint on my truck before I even had a thousand miles on it. Those ear tags are hell on new trucks.

Nice truck. Mine is a one tone in silver. The silver doesn't show dirt or scratches as bad as other colors. The one ton gave me more truck for the same money just less electronic frills. Better braking, thicker rotors, heavier driveline, big skid plates. I still think its the best option for one truck but you would be better off with two separate vehicles for towing and normal use. As much as you show your truck and the miles you cover, I would be looking for a new sponsor if I was you. No shame in that game.

Big Fin . . . . go to your Dodge dealership and ask about a Power Wagon.

This afternoon, I did just that. I looked at the Power Wagon and the Rebel. Cross the Rebel off the list; thought I might be impressed, so maybe my expectations were too high. As for the Power Wagon, I did not have much expectation and walked away with a much more favorable opinion than I expected. Some thoughts on how it would address my specific needs, however quirky those needs are.

Pros -

- Pulling machine. Towing will be no problem.
- Heavy duty and can carry loads.
- Backseat configuration and fold up into a big cargo space is very well thought out. When only me and a camera guy, this is a lot of extra space.
- Built-in Warn winch.
- 6' 4" box is nice extra space, but creates a pretty big rig for getting in and out of the tight spots I get into.
- Interior has a lot of good ideas built into it; ideas that reflect input from someone who does a lot of towing and rough roading.
- Adequate clearance for chains on front and back, though front might require a downgrade to a lesser link or cable type chain.
- Locking rear differential.

Cons -

- Very stiff suspension, which is good for loads, but since my truck is used as a quasi-ATV, rock hopping in this thing just seems like it will be pretty uncomfortable.
- No skid plate on the front. Given how many gouges and dents are in my Titan skid plate, this could be problematic.
- 17" tires are the standard, with 18" being an upgrade. Strange.
- Front molding is going to get destroyed without aftermarket bumper, which makes the built-in winch a moot value.
- Seems big and bulky, which it is. Front end is very high/tall, which impact visibility on a high angle break-over
- Not that this really matters for performance, but the overall look for the Power Wagon does not appeal to me.
- Gonna take some after-market investment to get this to what I am looking for.
- Price is quite a bit above the Tundra TRD Pro and way above the Titan Pro4X.

Overall, I was more impressed with a Power Wagon than I thought I would be. Just not sure about spending 100 days per year bouncing up and down rock piles in a 3/4 Ton truck, even if it is set up for off-road travel. And, given the price tag, seems I will have a lot invested in it once I finish the after-market modifications to get to where I need. It is still on the list of consideration.

All the sales guys seem to look at me funny when I crawl under and start examining skid plates and clearances for chains. I spend a lot of time chained up in November and December. I think most off-road experimentation and testing is in the sand-rock terrain of the southwest where chains are not ever a consideration. Mountain roads/skid trails in the winter are a completely different set of variables than just sand and rock. Big tires are not an option in snow, so the clearance benefits are negated by the loss of traction on snow and ice. Chains are often required on inclines with pack snow. Creek crossings are usually ice dams due to cold (just ask Schmalts about the pucker factor last week in Wyoming) and you never know what rock is in that creek or how soft/hard the bottom will be.

Later this afternoon I went and drove a Ford F-150 FX4 with a V6 Ecoboost. I am not sure how Ford has found a way to get that torque and hp at that low rpms, but they have. Off all parts of that rig, I was most impressed with the Ecoboost and combination of transmission. I also looked at a V8, but I'm not sure it would be necessary.

Pros -

- Extremely smooth and tight ride. Yeah, it was with 4-ply tires and those will be swapped out with 10-ply before my truck even leaves the lot.
- Excellent gas mileage.
- Transmission was extremely smooth in acceleration up a steep grade.
- A lot of well thought out interior features, some I had no idea could even be had on a truck.
- Did I say this was a smooth ride?
- Very quiet on the highway and when hitting bumps at speeds faster than the sales guy seemed comfortable with (he was hitting the brakes while I was hitting the gas).
- Price was very reasonable for all that it offered.

Cons -

- Low hanging molding would get destroyed in my first trip, but that would get changed out with an aftermarket bumper, so probably not an issue.
- Not a chance I will be able to chain up the front.
- Great gas mileage will take a hit when I have to change the molding for off-road upgrades.
- Had a "plastic" feel to interior and exterior. Could just be me.
- Some of the interior items were loose and one molded back seat handle was already broke (on a new truck), not giving me great comfort in how long it will last under the abuse camera guys place on things.
- Skid plate over the gas tank almost felt like plastic. I could move and wobble it with one hand. Maybe just loose.
- 18" tires were also considered an upgrade

All in all, a very impressive truck. I do worry if some of the pro's listed above will suffer when it has to be modified with after-market bumpers, winch, etc, to make it something I will not destroy when going on many of these rock piles.

This truck is surely on the list; above the Power Wagon. I am going to ask them if I can drive it again and the V8 with my 20' boat hooked up to it and tow that up and down some grades. When I first started with the Titans, the Nissan dealer let me do that and it is what convinced me to go with the Titan rather than the old style Tundra that seemed to have a gerbil under the hood and rubber band transmission. Putting a truck under a load gives a way different ride than empty. I also want to talk to the after-market folks and see what can be done to improve the approach angles, skid plates, and how well it will accomodate a serious bumper/winch without needing a lot of lift. Given most truck owners are not as abusive as I am, I can see why this is a top-selling truck.

Randy,
I saw you mentioned the rear locker on the power wagon. I'm 99% sure the power wagon also has a front locker, as well as a selectable disconnect on the front sway bar.

Randy,
I saw you mentioned the rear locker on the power wagon. I'm 99% sure the power wagon also has a front locker, as well as a selectable disconnect on the front sway bar.

You are correct on both.

Ford really seems to have worked the bugs out of that eco. A good source of f150 info is ford truck enthusiast forum. I try to read through the forum tech threads before buying a new rig.

Randy, I'm impressed you noticed the low-end torque and horsepower on the Ford, most guys don't notice that (reaching 80% at only 1,000 rpm is unbelievable). That Ecoboost will tow your boat like it's not even there (I'm sure there are guys in your hometown that will let you hook up to their truck if the dealer won't). The new technology in the updated gyroscope for trailer-sway is something you won't even know you missed until you try it.

Good luck in your search. It's a rare guy that truly checks out all makes/models for pros and cons. Let us know what you decide. There are a lot of good options out there.

I have a tundra and love it, zero problems in the last 6 years. Whatever you decide, consider leveling the truck, this will solve the chain issue. I leveled my tundra with bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks with a differential drop (did myself). Stay away from block leveling kits as these are not good if you actually go off road, more for street queens.

Randy, I'm impressed you noticed the low-end torque and horsepower on the Ford, most guys don't notice that (reaching 80% at only 1,000 rpm is unbelievable). That Ecoboost will tow your boat like it's not even there (I'm sure there are guys in your hometown that will let you hook up to their truck if the dealer won't). The new technology in the updated gyroscope for trailer-sway is something you won't even know you missed until you try it.

Good luck in your search. It's a rare guy that truly checks out all makes/models for pros and cons. Let us know what you decide. There are a lot of good options out there.

That low-rpm torque is super important for what I do and one of my first inquiries. Not only in towing, but riding around in steep hills. If you have to stomp on it to get that torque on a steep grade with a load in the box, your climbing is going to be more like trying to skate uphill.

I always laugh when advertisements claim 350 ft-lb of torque, but in the fine print you read that it needs 4800 rpms to get that much torque. No thanks. I suspect others will be copying whatever it is that Ford has done to get that kind of torque from such a small engine, at such low rpms.

Another "pro" to this truck is the backup assist for backing up to your trailer. I am not sure how that technology works, but it was very impressive for a guy like me who is hooking and dropping trailers all the time, often by myself.

I don't understand why the Nissan corporation doesn't sponser ya and or give you a brand new titan with the new cummins diesel?? Im sure they know how many thousands of people have seen you BTH out of your old titan.but if you have to buy,,id recommend Toyota.

x2 for the ram 1500 diesel!

I own a trucking company and pretty much run all duramaxs - but recently have broke out of my shell and bought a new 1 ton single wheel cummins. I love it. My buddy had his wife give the go ahead on the 1500 diesel. He pulled the trigger on it and has been plum happy. We put our trucks to the test out here in NoDak, and couldnt be happier. Just my 2 cents.

Are you against owning a diesel? Have you owned one previously? Check into them. My advise would be test drive everything. Throw some stuff on a trailer and take it to the dealership, to see how they pull in comparison. Ive done it more then once and have never had a problem. Very meticulous about my stuff and want to know what my dollar is getting Me in return. . Most salesman say wow this is a first. Haha keep us posted!

x2 for the ram 1500 diesel!

I own a trucking company and pretty much run all duramaxs - but recently have broke out of my shell and bought a new 1 ton single wheel cummins. I love it. My buddy had his wife give the go ahead on the 1500 diesel. He pulled the trigger on it and has been plum happy. We put our trucks to the test out here in NoDak, and couldnt be happier. Just my 2 cents.

Are you against owning a diesel? Have you owned one previously? Check into them. My advise would be test drive everything. Throw some stuff on a trailer and take it to the dealership, to see how they pull in comparison. Ive done it more then once and have never had a problem. Very meticulous about my stuff and want to know what my dollar is getting Me in return. . Most salesman say wow this is a first. Haha keep us posted!

No bias against a diesel. Just that they are almost always on a larger/heavier frame that requires too many compromises for the true off-road features I need. Plus, that heavier frame will almost always be a rougher ride on this terrible roads I am on. The diesels now being brought to the lighter duty trucks do have my attention and will be investigated.

Back