Yeti GOBOX Collection

Scoping my Vanguard 2

Hertervillian

I’ve started this project w/ a Leupold VX3i Warne Bases, and medium QR rings.

The scope has the turret cut for 200 zero 257 Weatherby, 110g Accubond at 3250fps. Having zeroed it at 200yds I run out of elevation in about a quarter turn, 460yds. Being honest that’s as far as I’d normally feel comfortable hunting, probably further.

Now for the ”problem”. I want to utilize the turret capability out much further. Is it normal to need a 20MOA base to reach out past 450? I’ve removed and remounted everything once and nothing has changed.

This seems to be the place for solid Howa/Vanguard info.

That doesn't make sense to me. Does the elevation dial have a zero lock? I wonder if you're hitting it. Maybe remove the turret cap to see if you can change the elevation with a screwdriver.

If it’s a CDS custom dial it has a built in zero stop and only is good for about 1 revolution but seems maybe something isn’t right.The zero stop is technical just a small ball bearing in a certain spot in the dial. If that’s what’s happening then you are going to need a 20MOA rail or a different base/ring setup if you want more elevation from the dial.

If it’s a CDS custom dial it has a built in zero stop and only is good for about 1 revolution but seems maybe something isn’t right.The zero stop is technical just a small ball bearing in a certain spot in the dial. If that’s what’s happening then you are going to need a 20MOA rail or a different base/ring setup if you want more elevation from the dial.
It gets nowhere close to the stop. 3/4 turn from getting there.

I’m not wanting to go with a rail if I don’t have to, but if that is what it takes so be it. This is my first dial setup, for all I know I was nearly out of elevation before this new setup. Have always done the 3”high at 100 setup In the past.

Thanks for your input.

It still seems wrong even with a 3” high zero - but maybe that’s a factor. I’d call Leupold. I’ve had questions in the past and found them very helpful.

It still seems wrong even with a 3” high zero - but maybe that’s a factor. I’d call Leupold. I’ve had questions in the past and found them very helpful.
A call to them prompted the removal and reinstall. They really had no comment about the Warnes other than call them. I’m about to succumb to the rail, but wanted a few opinions before I put another hundy into this project.

Something seems out of specs. It could be the base/ring combo puts the scope almost out of adjustment with the bore. A 20MOA rail may be needed to achieve more elevation due to a variety of factors.
Also have you removed the barreled action from the stock? Sometimes people don’t tighten the screws evenly and it puts the action in a weird position in the stock.
Remove the screws and barreled action from the stock. Place the barreled action back in the stock and then the mag box/trigger guard assembly. Put the front and rear screws in just threaded in barely. Stand the rifle on end with recoil pad on the bench/table.

Tighten the trigger guard screws to the proper torque and in the proper sequence as follows. Always tighten the rear screw first to a torque of 35 inch pounds, followed by a torque of 35 inch pounds to the front screw. For wood and synthetic stocks this is the final torque value that should be used. On composite stocks with aluminum bedding blocks, apply additional torque to 55 inch pounds to the rear screw followed by 55 inch pounds to the front screw.

By any chance did you use Rem 700 bases? A lot of folks say that you can use them on the Vanguard/Howa 1500s, but they’re just a hair too tall on the back rail and cause adjustment issues. Try a specific Vanguard/Howa base and you might be surprised

By any chance did you use Rem 700 bases? A lot of folks say that you can use them on the Vanguard/Howa 1500s, but they’re just a hair too tall on the back rail and cause adjustment issues. Try a specific Vanguard/Howa base and you might be surprised
That is the kind of thing I wanted to hear. Although Im pretty sure Warne doesn’t have a specific skew for the Howa. I’ll certainly look into this, like I’ve said I really don’t want to go rail.

You could also try a set of Talley Lightweight base/ring combo if you don’t want a rail.

I'm not the tech guy but what I can say is my Vanguard S2 .243 is topped with a VX3i CDS and it dials to 550 yards no problem with Talley rings made for the S2 on it. All of which has been tightened down to specs while sitting in a gun bench.

Thank you all for the insight. I’ve sent an email to Leupold asking for some clarification on this issue. They do show different part #’s for the bases.
I want to retain the QR feature the Talley set appears to rob me of that option.

Leupold explained that the 700 rem bases are indeed different and very likely the cause of my issues.
Warne doesn’t differentiate, I guess one just “knows” to get the 20MOA rail to compensate.

Thank you WalkingBird for the help.

Back