Rage 3 blade any good?

jore07

Anyone have any experience with these? I am all set up to use them but, I want to know anything good or bad that may have happend to anyone using them in the field. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

They seem to have had a few more quality problems with the 3 blade over the 2 blade. That may have been resolved though. I use the 2 blade and they are hole punching monsters. pricey though

I was thinking about the 2 blade but they over the allowable cutting diamater in SD from what I gathered.

I was thinking about the 2 blade but they over the allowable cutting diamater in SD from what I gathered.

There is a an allowable maximum cutting diameter, I have heard of minimum, but never maximum. Another thing to remeber with Rage is some people seem to have problems changing the blades out as the screws are pretty small.

I myself have used Muzzy's up til now and I'm debating the switch to Rage as well.

I guess they work if you can keep them closed in the quiver and/or in flight. Put some massive holes in some animal but dont use them anymore because of them opening. BRING BACK THE OLD SNYPER.

I used the three blade for the past 2 years... they fly awesome & cut like hell. Only problem I see is lack of penetration - zero pass throughs on 3 deer that I shot.

I am going away from them this year for that reason.

I have a few 3 packs for sale if anyone is interested.

I like the 2 blade over the 3 blade model. They need to work on keeping the blades closed that was the biggest down fall.Great for thin skinned game like deer and lopes.

I've heard the same issues with the 3 blades about the pre opening and lack of penetration. I've never been a fan of mechanicals, but my buddy totally recommends the Rage 2 blades for turkeys, so I'm going to try them out in may when I go down there to hunt with him.

"Mechanical broadheads are prohibited from use while elk hunting, and mechanical broadheads with a cutting diameter greater than 2 inches are prohibited for any hunting."

This is the line in the South Dakota regulations that had me a little worried about switching to the 2 blade, but from some of the things I have been reading, going away from rage all together might be a good choice.

What do you experienced archery hunters use? any broadheads that you have had good experiences with?

I love my Shuttle T broadheads. They have left gaping holes in everything I've shot with them and they fly like field points even out to 60 plus yards

"Mechanical broadheads are prohibited from use while elk hunting, and mechanical broadheads with a cutting diameter greater than 2 inches are prohibited for any hunting."

This is the line in the South Dakota regulations that had me a little worried about switching to the 2 blade, but from some of the things I have been reading, going away from rage all together might be a good choice.

What do you experienced archery hunters use? any broadheads that you have had good experiences with?

Muzzy broadheads for me....

Over the last 10 years I've taken elk with Thunderhead, Wasp, Stingers and Slick Tricks. All did their job well.

I personally think the snuffers/montec style is the best but for me I have a hard time getting them to fly consistently. I'm almost sure this is because my form is inconsistent and I don't shoot as much as I should. I switched to the slick tricks in 2009 because they flew more consistently than the others. With all the others I'd get the occasional flyer. With the slick tricks I never did get that. The cons with the tricks are the steep blade angle reduce penetration, which I have observed. But the wound channel was pretty impressive.

Attachments

• hunting 2009 007 resized.jpg
    hunting 2009 007 resized.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 7,910
Montecs for me.Blow thru everything and leave lots of blood.I like a cut on contact broadhead rather then mechanicals.You want a hole on both sides of the animal;never got that with mechanicals.I help a friend track his buck 2 years ago he shot with a rage and the hole was huge but didn't pass thru.The trailing was tougher then it needed to be because of it.In fact we almost lost the deer over it.Broadheads have come along way since I first started bowhunting almost 30 years ago.Try out some montecs I know you'll like them and they fly like field points for me

Thanks for tips guys. I'll have to go try some out.

Have any of you ever tried the Carbon Express F-15™ Dual Blade (fixed)? I have shot them just never at an animal yet.

Thanks again.

Ask Randy Ulmer how much he'd trust a Rage in the field.

I do have buddies who use the Rage broadhead and like them quite a bit. I'm a big fan of the Shuttle-T's.

I pulled a rage out of the spine of a deer my dad shot last year. The broadhead was just lodged in the top fin of the spine. It couldn't even make it through that little bit of bone. Personally I wouldn't shoot one at anything bigger than a turkey.

VPA Terminators for me. Those of you that like the Montec style head need to check these out. Similar design, but made of solid machined steel, not cast metal like the Montec. Much stronger and easier to sharpen.

When i'm shooting elk, i have found the magnus stingers to be about as good as they come... As far as guys saying the rage doesn't work well, i would say, probably need to work on your shooting:) I have shot probably 15 or 16 deer with those rage heads and they sure seem to work wonders for me. Shot a doe two years ago that left a hole so big i could stick my hand completely through it.

Ask chuckie.........."its like throwing an axe through and animal":rolleyes:

I've seen guys have good luck with them on elk too but just prefer to stick to fixed blade heads on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back