buying a used bow

Bhoesl

Any advice on shopping for a used bow (compound)? The bow I'm using now is well over 30 years old and I'd like to try upgrading to something newer but can't afford the prices of brand new. I can find lots for sale online at good prices but would rather buy something that I can see in person first, draw it, shoot it, etc. But the shops that I've checked with have few, if any, used bows in stock.
Has anyone had good or bad experience buying a used bow online? Or could suggest anywhere in central Montana with a decent selection of used bows?
Thanks

Any advice on shopping for a used bow (compound)? The bow I'm using now is well over 30 years old and I'd like to try upgrading to something newer but can't afford the prices of brand new. I can find lots for sale online at good prices but would rather buy something that I can see in person first, draw it, shoot it, etc. But the shops that I've checked with have few, if any, used bows in stock.
Has anyone had good or bad experience buying a used bow online? Or could suggest anywhere in central Montana with a decent selection of used bows?
Thanks

All the bow shops I’ve been have told me they don’t mess with used bows due to liability (unable to know for sure if it has ever been dry fired).

I think this forum, Facebook marketplace or Montana Gun Trader would be where I would look.

I got my bow used but was from a hunting buddy so not exactly same situation you are asking about.

Not sure what you’re trying to budget but you can also often pick up the previous year models for a decent price still new.

Also, since you’re shooting something so old something like the Bear ready to hunt packages may also be worth checking out. It’s going to be a big jump forward in what you have now

I bought a used bow on this site from @MN_Bowhunter4 The transaction went well. I’d say most people that have been around this place for a few years are trustworthy enough to buy from if you wait until something you like is posted in the classifieds.

I bought a used bow on this site from @MN_Bowhunter4 The transaction went well. I’d say most people that have been around this place for a few years are trustworthy enough to buy from if you wait until something you like is posted in the classifieds.
Ditto this. So long as the seller has been on here for a while it’s typically a safe bet.

Thanks
Go to the range in the civic center and put an ad on the wall, list the specs you’re looking for. If you’ve got Facebook you can post on the classifieds. I just about guarantee you could find what you’re looking for right here in town.

Check out Archery Talk, lot's of brand new/semi brand new shop demo bows that are a model year or two old that go for cheap sold from reputable bow shops. I got my last Hoyt RX-1 brand new for like $800 after the RX-3 had come out

I haven't bought from them, but try Straight 6 Archery in Bozeman. They have a shop in Bozeman and Missoula, so I'm making the assumption, they are pretty well run.

scheels can have some used ones. I’d think superior in Billings would have some as well.

Thanks
Pawn shops. People who need the best of the best in bows tend to dump their old bows at pawn shops every 2-3 years. You can find a bow that is top of the line at 1/5 the original cost, and then take it to a bowshop (like Superior Archery in Billings) and they will fix it up nice for you with a new string. Bows, particularly flagship compound bows, just don't hold their value for more than a year or two.

Any interest in a 2018 prime centergy, Sitka subalpine camo , 2 piece prime quiver, 28 inch draw and 70 lbs limbs? Super good condition

Straight 6 archery in Missoula seems to be a good place to shop. Personally, I would deal with a small pro shop vs a big box store. You might pay a little more up front, but the knowledge and experience will pay off in the long run.

Go to the range in the civic center and put an ad on the wall, list the specs you’re looking for. If you’ve got Facebook you can post on the classifieds. I just about guarantee you could find what you’re looking for right here in town.
Good idea, thanks! Just printed one off, I’ll drop it off there sometime this week.

Like I said, you may not know the bow is damaged. Without knowing the bow's true history it's all guess work.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up buying a Darton spectra E 32 off archery talk. Just got it a couple days ago and love it so far. What a huge difference from my old bow!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back