Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Thinking of switching from fixed blade to mechanical broadheads

If it aint broke don't fix it
100% this here.

The only reason I see to switch from a fixed blade to a mechanical is if you are having accuracy issues with fixed blade.
IMO this is the worst reason to switch. If you have accuracy problems with a fixed blade its 99% of the time a bow tuning issue. Assuming you have a newer 10yrs or less bow; just tune the bow, super easy DIY or take it to a shop. Fix will most likely only take 5-15mins. Shooting a mechanical head in this scenario is just covering the real problem.

100% this here.

IMO this is the worst reason to switch. If you have accuracy problems with a fixed blade its 99% of the time a bow tuning issue. Assuming you have a newer 10yrs or less bow; just tune the bow, super easy DIY or take it to a shop. Fix will most likely only take 5-15mins. Shooting a mechanical head in this scenario is just covering the real problem.

I won't argue that tuning is often the problem, especially with most modern broad heads. However, I doubt it's "99% of the time", especially when shooting larger 2 blade cut to tip broadheads with the short fletching that's so popular today.

I won't argue that tuning is often the problem, especially with most modern broad heads. However, I doubt it's "99% of the time", especially when shooting larger 2 blade cut to tip broadheads with the short fletching that's so popular today.
99% might be a stretch however i.would argue that the short fletching in and of itself is a tuning issue 😀

I shot one of my dad's original thunderheads from the early 90s last weekend and that thing flew just like my field tips. Like you said a good modern broadhead will most likely be a tuning issue as opposed to a fixed blade issue.

Good luck the rest of your fall and hope you don't have bad luck like your handle would suggest 😀

Had a guy in deer camp 30 years ago with buckblasters and a blazing fast bow of 330fps. They were a small fixed blade and mechanical that opened to 2.5 inches 125 grain. He blew holes through deer and they dropped. I always wanted them so wouldn't have to worry about this debate. Tune bow and spin arrows to make sure balanced. I have used both and worry less with a cut on impact fixed blade

I’ve killed two does this season with a G5 Megameat 2” cut. Both pass throughs with giant holes.

Attachments

• IMG_9236.jpeg
    IMG_9236.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back