Thinking of switching from fixed blade to mechanical broadheads

I've had great results with mechanical broadeads, however, I've decided to switch back to fixed blades. Mostly due to the fact I can use them over and over. The mechanical blades like to break and therefore typically need replace.

I've been using Rage Hypodermic and Hypodermic +P's for a long time. I often try new heads that catch my eye but keep coming back to the Hypos. Hoping to try one on an elk in less than two months.

I nearly have as high of a body count with NAP Killzones as I do the Rages, but recent purchases had blades that weren't super sharp. Grim Reapers have worked impressively well using Whitetail Specials and the CarniFour. I tried Sevrs on 2 or 3 deer and a red stag, wasn't impressed and priced pretty high.

Bass Pro sells 6-packs of Rage Hypodermics with a carrying case for $39.97. Can't beat it.

Attachments

• 20221007_195935.jpg
    20221007_195935.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20211022_191226.jpg
    20211022_191226.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20210914_070357.jpg
    20210914_070357.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210914_165424.jpg
    20210914_165424.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20201104_123534.jpg
    20201104_123534.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20191009_085806.jpg
    20191009_085806.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20181112_074224.jpg
    20181112_074224.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210914_072151.jpg
    20210914_072151.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
It all comes down to personal preference let's be honest if you punch a hole 1.25" or 2" or whatever size it is through the lungs is it really gonna matter what name is on the package? As longs as it's sharp, durable and flies true what difference does it make. Brodhead are the most over thought over hyped product out there imo.

I too started out on fixed blades.
Then made the switch over to mechanicals.

Now I'm back to fixed blades.

Nothing like the sick feeling when the arrow hits a little forward. You hear the swack! The deer takes off, and you find the arrow with broken mechanical blades laying 15 yards from the impact with only 3" of blood on it.

Running 125gr Black Hornet Ser-razor with bleeders and an additional 75gr of weight in the nose of the arrow.

I shoot rage for whitetail deer with good success. Whatever you choose make sure they're razor sharp. I am amazed at how many broadheads don't shave when they're brand new. When I buy broadheads I touch up the edges right out of the package. Broadheads kill by slicing all those itty bitty viens and arteries which are almost elastic/rubbery and will basically roll over a broadheads edge that isn't razor sharp. Sharp broadheads,= short blood trails

Swhackers.

They are the only mechanical ill shoot. They are the only one that doesn't waste any energy cutting a huge entry hole, have untouched razor sharp blades to cut the organs, leave a huge exit hole and a pretty darn tough and far more reliable then any rage or equivalent broadhead. Also they are great at quartering shots because they penetrate a bit before the blades flip open, other mechanicals can be deflected off. Of course they fly like a field points. Usually come with a practice head and you can get replacement blades for them. I have not seen one other mechanical that has every one of those attributes besides swhackers.

That said I'm considering trying a fixed blade broadhead this year. I passed up a shot last year at a doe on the ground with her drew back she faced me. Didn't trust any mechanical to punch through the shoulder at that angle. But it's hard to give up the swhackers. They pass through, need no tuning and do a great job unaliving deer.

It all comes down to personal preference let's be honest if you punch a hole 1.25" or 2" or whatever size it is through the lungs is it really gonna matter what name is on the package? As longs as it's sharp, durable and flies true what difference does it make. Brodhead are the most over thought over hyped product out there imo.
Fishing lures or coyote calls might rival broadheads but I would have to agree.

I’d like to give those Evolution hybrids a try. Anybody have experience with those?
I’ve used them a good bit, very similar to the gravedigger broadheads, in fact they're both designed and created by the same man. I’ve killed a bunch of whitetails and pigs with them and haven’t had any major problems.
Sure I’ve sheared blades off of them and every other mechanical head I’ve shot, but when the animal goes down quick I don’t see that as a head failure. Some of the better blood trails I’ve seen were from them.

I’ve used them a good bit, very similar to the gravedigger broadheads, in fact they're both designed and created by the same man. I’ve killed a bunch of whitetails and pigs with them and haven’t had any major problems.
Sure I’ve sheared blades off of them and every other mechanical head I’ve shot, but when the animal goes down quick I don’t see that as a head failure. Some of the better blood trails I’ve seen were from them.
Thank you. Do they have the same poi as your field points? This is something I love about mechanicals as they usually fly identical to field points.

I killed a huge bodied 6 point Roosevelt bull with a Grim Reaper 125 last year. One shot full pass-thru with tremendous blood trail and he went about 40 yards. Very small sample size but I was impressed. The head looks like new still. I just got tired of trying to get fixed blade heads to all be consistent. It seems like I have the bow tuned and everything is good then apparently my form is off and I get a flyer. I didn't ever question lethality of fixed blades just consistency of flight. I would rather shoot fixed if I could get them to all fly right!

Thanks to everyone who weighed in, I knew this was akin to talking politics or religion and everyone kept it civil :)
I bought some Sevr 1.75" 125 grains and they fly well (Love that they come with a screw to keep them closed for practice). Will play it by ear as my bow shoots my Kudu fixed blades just as well.

Never had a pass through with mechanicals but the wound was always so big it didn’t matter. Usually have both in my quiver, slick tricks or thunderheads for the close shots and mechanical for the long shot.

45 yards Broadhead tuning- Find the thunderhead.

1690490866870.png

Properly tuned, they fly identical to field points. Fixed blades have less to go wrong. And then I can razor strop them- I use a hobby knife handle to hold on to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back