Opening Day.

mdcrossbow

I do not live near the property I hunt which is 2 hours south in Va. Last year I had a Boss Tom working this other small farm I hunt and SO I have decided to take a chance are hunt that area this your opening day. I know birds will move from area to area..

Question: but do they maintain a home area ? The 2 Boss Toms I have taken on the farm across the street have been very territorial. So I am going with that assumption for opeing day on this monster bird.

What has been your experiences ?

I'm limited to bird knowledge since I have only hunted them the past 6 years.

Thanks

I've always heard they'll walk 15 miles a day here and roost in the same place if undisturbed. Sometimes they go left, sometimes right to start the day, but its a big cirlce. Seasonal areas vary too, like the fall area may be different than the spring area for a flock.

Tom , when I hunted SD we found roosting tree that had scat 2" thick 10' out from the base of the tree. I guess they like a particular tree out there. You will not find that here in the east, I've looked LOL .

I had a flock of about 12 in a field just south of my place on Sunday - including 4 nice Toms taking up the rear. Haven't seen any near here since last fall, so they are starting to move in again.

Also got 2 Toms to gobble yesterday morning before I left for work - they were roosted a few hundred yards behind my house - I was calling from my back yard.

Gets the adrenaline flowing again..... thinking about those smoked turkey son-a-viches...;)

Been seeing lots of birds down in Va. But unless I drive down the night before I will be going in cold opening morning. But the birds will come though the area of this hunt. When ? In the morning before 12. LOL

Headed to NC on Friday to scout and locate birds for the Sat. opener. Nothing beats getting there the day before and doing alittle recon!!

I have taken a couple of toms by setting up and waiting on them. In both cases it was areas the birds tended to loaf and strut in the early afternoon. Look for birds in the same place a couple of times; not just out moving but hanging out at the edge of a field or in a clearing, etc,

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back