Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Grouse While Elk Hunting?

Coop

I have been running into a ton of grouse while out chasing bigger critters this year. The problem is that I always seem to see them in the first half of an all-day hunt, so I've been passing them up. Curious what everyone does to carry their harvested birds with them throughout the day and avoid spoilage?

I have been running into a ton of grouse while out chasing bigger critters this year. The problem is that I always seem to see them in the first half of an all-day hunt, so I've been passing them up. Curious what everyone does to carry their harvested birds with them throughout the day and avoid spoilage?
Eat them for lunch

I'm not a big game hunter but I've thought about this. I think I'd immediately remove the entrails and place the bird in a black mesh drawstring or zippered bag that I could attach to the outside of my ruck/backpack. There may be better ways though.

I'm not a big game hunter but I've thought about this. I think I'd immediately remove the entrails and place the bird in a black mesh drawstring or zippered bag that I could attach to the outside of my ruck/backpack. There may be better ways though.
I've considered that or even getting a smaller game bag specifically for birds, but always open to ideas!

I don’t worry about it. I throw them somewhere on my pack, try to keep them out of the sun. You can breast them very quickly by stepping on their wings and pulling their legs, then you could throw them in a ziplock bag maybe and put them inside your pack.

What are you all taking the grouse with? Do you carry around a shotgun or a 22 with you while elk hunting?

I'm considering a slingshot rifle. Trying to make one that's light and reliable, but I'm not the greatest craftsman. If that doesn't work, I will go with a hand @#)(# air rifle. The CO2 cartridges don't do too well at elevation, so you have to @#)(# it.

I heard a podcast from Corey and Randy, Corey said he was surprised at how good he was able to get with just a simple sling shot when the grouse sitting still at close distances.

I'm considering a slingshot rifle. Trying to make one that's light and reliable, but I'm not the greatest craftsman. If that doesn't work, I will go with a hand @#)(# air rifle. The CO2 cartridges don't do too well at elevation, so you have to @#)(# it.

I heard a podcast from Corey and Randy, Corey said he was surprised at how good he was able to get with just a simple sling shot when the grouse sitting still at close distances.
I love the idea of a slingshot, I’m going to look into that

That's what I would normally do when I shot one earlier in the day. Just take the guts out and put it in a game bag and strap it to my pack. I'd usually take a few plastic gloves with me because grouse guts stink worse than duck guts, and I'd normally not be near any water to wash up.

But the grouse population seems down in the area I've hunted most, haven't shot one in years. Normally have an arrow in my quiver with a judo point, but I didn't even bother this year. And I was always looking for some other way of dispatching them, lost or broke many an arrow over the years. But I was never proficient with a slingshot or rock, plus I would never take a bow shot when they were up in a tree. They would often flush from the ground, then sit on a branch above your head taunting you. Thought about .22 pistol, or pellet gun, but my pack is already too damn heavy.

Some years after archery season I'd go back with my shotgun and mop up.

Like turkeys, I’ve shot many a grouse with an arrow and only got feathers. I’ve thought about holstering a pellet gun instead of my usual sidearm… then I thought what if I “Yosemite Sam” my waist belt and pack both 😂

Arrowed a few earlier this month; half were blues and half were ruffs.

I clean them immediately. I carry quart size baggies in my pack. Put them in the baggie, and place that in my pack. They are good for the day. They cool quickly. Make sure you don't have any stomach juice on the meat and the heat of the day is not enough to hurt any meat.

IMG_3094.JPG

Twice now a morning/ half day elk hunt turned into a grouse hunt. Last year was the first time I got to enjoy one as a meal. I was hooked. Both my wife and I love those things.

Have had tons of luck finding grouse where the elk are not, I personally keep the .22 in the truck. Now if I just knew how to properly cook them.

Have had tons of luck finding grouse where the elk are not, I personally keep the .22 in the truck. Now if I just knew how to properly cook them.

Whatever you do, don’t ruin them with sauce and soup. Too many people think you have to doctor Grouse up and it’s a felony. The best way to do grouse is bone them out both the breast and thighs then cut the breast into chicken McNuggets sizes. Then on a flat griddle at about 325° grill them with tons of butter and fresh chopped garlic with just the lightest of a bread and Parmesan cheese coating. Sauté till done which won’t take long at all. Then served with a wild rice, Rice-A-Roni dish, and the salad of your choice. You won’t be disappointed.

I do what @Big Fin does but also carry a big rubber band with me and put the bag up against my water bladder or bottle which is usually pretty cold. Not sure if it helps or makes a difference but it makes me feel better.

Whatever you do, don’t ruin them with sauce and soup. Too many people think you have to doctor Grouse up and it’s a felony. The best way to do grouse is bone them out both the breast and thighs then cut the breast into chicken McNuggets sizes. Then on a flat griddle at about 325° grill them with tons of butter and fresh chopped garlic with just the lightest of a bread and Parmesan cheese coating. Sauté till done which won’t take long at all. Then served with a wild rice, Rice-A-Roni dish, and the salad of your choice. You won’t be disappointed.
Oh wow, that sounds great actually. I didn't see any duskie's this last weekend but I'll be back in the area this weekend and try it out. Thanks!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back