Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

I need a turkey gun

So it should work? lol I only ever shot 2 dogs with it one folded on caught some to the face and was never saw afain
I like the way you think lol. It's pretty big shot for a turkey lol but yah it should definitely be dead no question. Calling at night under the moonlight I blasted a coyote on a dead run after my buddy shot the first one in the face at about 3 yards. I stepped it off at 83 yards iirc. That thing never flinched I think I lead him about 10 ft. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Dang might say screw the weight. The mossberg O/U is pretty sweet looking!
If you’re looking at the Mossberg Silver Reserve I wouldn’t recommend it. I have a Silver Reserve 20 gauge. It was a nice little shotgun until it started firing both barrels at once. It turns out that it’s a somewhat common problem with them.

Get whatever shotgun floats your boat. With so many options of shells to shoot them with now days a decent load of lead or TSS will get the job done. I've killed tom's with pump guns, SXS, auto's, O/U, and single shots in 410, 20, 16, 12, and 10 gauge guns. I'm to hoping to kill a bird with a 28 gauge this spring just to say I have. Definitely a fun spring activity especially with family.

I bought a Winchester 12 ga. SX4 just for turkeys and ducks, because I only had my dad's old 2 3/4" guns. I killed plenty of birds with the old guns, but I do love my new gun for turkeys so far :).

there is no way to go wrong with gun selection these days. Choke and shot combos make everything good. I’d stick with a cheaper pump gun in 12 that has 3.5 capabilities just for ammo availability options. I am partial to my beater 870 but the lightweight berettas and benellis are a dream to carry and point.

If you go with TSS I’d avoid the chokes that throw a super hot “core”. Go with a 2-2.5 oz load of anything 8-9.5 size tss. Pick a full,xf, or xxf choke that will give you an even 20-30 inch circle at 40 and it will probably keep an adequate killing pattern to a distance that won’t feel right.

TSS “super” chokes are garbage for close shots, have buddies miss several close shots and see plenty of close in misses on the Tuber channels.

No reason to go over the top on a turkey gun, unless you want to. Virtually any 12 gauge with a Carlson XF choke, and 3" #6 Longbeard XR shells will do far more than you need it to.
Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to spend $60 on a box of TSS to kill turkeys. TSS doesn't kill them any more dead than lead does.

If you go with TSS I’d avoid the chokes that throw a super hot “core”. Go with a 2-2.5 oz load of anything 8-9.5 size tss. Pick a full,xf, or xxf choke that will give you an even 20-30 inch circle at 40 and it will probably keep an adequate killing pattern to a distance that won’t feel right.
^this. I had much better patterns with different TSS loads using my Benelli factory standard full choke than an Indian Creek turkey choke.

Make sure you get one with an Extra Full choke, I read that turkeys are hard to call in close.... :LOL:
iQhEAfph.jpg

Make sure you get one with an Extra Full choke, I read that turkeys are hard to call in close.... :LOL:
iQhEAfph.jpg
Wily, evasive demon birds when I'm trying to call one in with a shotgun. Marvel at how they manage to stay alive the rest of the year.

Last edited:
^this. I had much better patterns with different TSS loads using my Benelli factory standard full choke than an Indian Creek turkey choke.
Each hunter should really shoot the weapon/ choke/ ammo of choice at 10 yard increments to understand what the result will be.
For years I shot a variety of 12 gauge shotguns with standard full choke and Remington Nitro copper plated #4's. Good patterns up to 40 yards. Anything beyond were cripple shots.
Hunted last year with the Stevens 301 in 20 gauge, Indian Creek choke, red dot and TSS.
Had the trigger smoothed out. The combination is pretty amazing. Tested at 10, 30, 40,50 and 65 yds. I would consider 65 to still be an ethical kill shot but I better be solid when squeezing trigger. Though not inclined to shoot that far unless it's the last day of my hunt. 10 yards better be spot on, because it is a fist sized pattern. After 30 years of shooting with a beaded barrel the red dot was a bit weird for me. Not certain if in general I like better. Helps for focus at long range but at normal ranges I still prefer having an open field of vision, especially if birds are milling about, or a gobbler comes racing in from some off angle.
The whole red dot gun idea was partially to try something different, the cost was nominal and I don't need another $1000 shotgun. The clincher was extending the range. I tend to hunt late season when the birds can be more difficult to call in close. Depending on the local population, if there is an abundance of Tom's usually you can find one which isn't hung up with hens, yet if there are few Tom's which all have hens they can be difficult to get in close. In that instance, a longer shot becomes the difference between coming home empty handed, or not. If I drive 5 hours to hunt, by the end of the trip I'm thinking fill a tag.
Probably hunt with both guns this year for variety.

I have a 870 20 ga with 21" barrel and a tristar G2 turkey 20 set up for myself and my family.. I run vortex red dots on both with tss #9 handloads. Both are lightweight and I assure you there's no ethical scenario where you will feel under gunned with a TSS load in a 20ga. If you keep your shots around 45 or less a 410 is a solid choice. You dont need an expensive shotgun to set up for turkeys. Find a used one of your choice and set it up and run with it

Reactions: Hem
I don't understand the need for a dedicated turkey shotgun.
Same old 12ga you shoot ducks, geese and pheasants with will work just fine. No need for a fancy camo finish or special sighting system either.

Although I'm not an avid turkey hunter, I've done my fair share of it and killed a few.
I find them to be relatively dumb and pretty easy to harvest.

It’s all a nice exercise. I ran out of traditional lead turkey loads during the pandemic. I found some old 3” federal steel duck loads my Dad had. No clue where the shells came from, but get the turkeys within 35 yards, and they die just as quick.

I’ve been thinking about TSS, but I can still kill a decade worth of birds with over half a box of that old federal steel shot.

Every spring I buy another box of boring Winchester or Remington "turkey" loads, and then at most I shoot two shells for my two Kansas birds (sadly down to one this year). I could go traipsing around the country getting multiple out of state tags and never run out of turkey #5's.

Does this mean that I will not buy another box next year? Of course I will. Along with another slate call, and maybe a decoy if they are on steep discount.

Will I use my old workhorse of a entry level 12g pumpgun? Of course I will.

Will I sit so long that my legs fall asleep? Undoubtedly!

Might I end up calling in a whole flock of jakes that might sorely tempt my resolve to get a bigger tom? We'll see!

If you need an excuse to get a new shotgun, the new spring is reason enough. Make sure that you do shoot either the old or the new gun if you change chokes or shells.

Or you could just go hunt with your son and his 20g, and after he shoots his tom, switch the camera and the gun and go get you one!

It wouldn't be legal in most states. #4s are the biggest shot that's legal where I hunt.
Depending on the time of year mine lets you use a center fire so i guess I better check and see if they care about shot size.

My favorite turkey gun is a 3.3# .410. I don't take it when I'm serious. It's easy to miss with that small pattern. I wouldn't use a .410 at all if I didn't handload. Small changes in .410 loads show up on the pattern board. Factory shells aren't that consistent.

A Mossberg 535 is a surprisingly light weight gun and will eat any 12ga shell you feed it. Handy when travelling. 12ga doesn't need $60/box TSS. A good choke and lead load work fine at sporting ranges.

Man, I've been doing it wrong all these years with a winchester model 12.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back