MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Nevada vs Utah ?

Auburnpack

I am retirement planning. I am 42 and should be able to retire at 59. I am thinking about starting to apply for all species in UT or NV. I understand the bonus points, draw process, and cost for both states even the 1 license for 2 years in Utah.

My question is based on cost, point creep, and number of non-resident point holders, etc. which state would be my best investment over a 15- 20 year period? Thank you.

Utah is going to be cheaper than Nevada overall if that makes a difference. Last year Nevada cost me $231 to apply for Elk, Deer, Antelope and Sheep (nonresident Goat tag wasn't available). This was the year I had to buy a license in Utah and it cost me $115 for Elk, Deer, Goat and Sheep (I don't apply for antelope in Utah even if it only costs $10 more). Next year that drops to only $50 for Utah.

Nevada is better for mule deer and antelope than Utah on quantity of tags given out. Utah probably gets the edge on elk. Neither will give you much of a chance on MSG.

I would do NV. A bit more expensive, but as Nathan said, deer and antelope are far better odds. Also, NV gives more NR desert sheep tags than the rest of the west combined. Not great odds, but better than any other state. Plus, NV allows you to put five choices, giving you a lot options depending upon calendar, desire, weapon preference, etc.

In full disclosure, I am a bit biased toward Nevada, having went to college there and spent six years as a resident exploring some of the amazing desolate landscapes the state has.

While the NV odds for non-res hunters are quite daunting, once you draw your tag you will have a great chance at a trophy animal. It is also possible to draw a tag with few or no bonus points just by sheer luck.

Not sure where your applying. Utah is one of the fastest growing states. The projections are downright scary. Some of the LE units are going to be negatively affected. Especially those in the southern end of the state. Depending on species there is a lot of SITLA land we can't dump fast enough that could impact you that far down the road. I'm a resident, and burn points as fast as I can so I'm not competition, but I'd go NV

While the NV odds for non-res hunters are quite daunting, once you draw your tag you will have a great chance at a trophy animal. It is also possible to draw a tag with few or no bonus points just by sheer luck.

There is one lucky NR SOB on here who drew late rifle elk, late rifle deer and also a sweet antelope tag. All with 3 points each or less. I think he said his best odds were 2 or 3% and one was less than 1 in 1,000. You know who are and I know you'll see this!!!! :D

As to the original question. What do you want to hunt? Bowhunt at all? NV has some damn good archery deer and antelope tags that can be drawn in a reasonable amount of time.

If I were starting from the ground floor at your age, no way I'd even think of applying in either of these two states. You are talking by far the worst odds in the west. Just do the math.

There is one lucky NR SOB on here who drew late rifle elk, late rifle deer and also a sweet antelope tag. All with 3 points each or less. I think he said his best odds were 2 or 3% and one was less than 1 in 1,000. You know who are and I know you'll see this!!!! :D

As to the original question. What do you want to hunt? Bowhunt at all? NV has some damn good archery deer and antelope tags that can be drawn in a reasonable amount of time.

I drew early October rifle deer in the Jarbridge wilderness with zero points a few years back. The state hooked me with that tag. Such awesome country.

I've drawn 4 Nevada tags as an NR. I drew an archery deer tag with 3 points, a late rifle elk tag with 4, rifle deer tag with 2, and a rifle antelope tag with 2. I simply choose hunts with the highest NR quota and apply for those. None were "glory" hunts. In fact, my antelope tag was considered marginal at best and although it was a difficult hunt in terms of population and landscape, I was able to tag a good one. As said by Gr8bawana, ANY Nevada tag is going to be a good hunt in some beautiful country. Sure, are the odds tough? Yes but you will never draw if you don't apply. Don't apply for the top hunts and you may get lucky sooner than you think. I also have TWO buddies that drew Book cliffs rifle deer tag in UT with zero points. I would imagine Utah is the same as NV where no matter what tag you have in hand, you will have a fun hunt. It's comical seeing how many people are chasing the top units and then bitch about draw odds. Especially guys that have a pile of points and have plenty of tags they could draw yet refuse to put in for them and continue chasing the "trophy hunts".

I would apply for them both but have a realistic strategy. Good luck!

If I were starting from the ground floor at your age, no way I'd even think of applying in either of these two states. You are talking by far the worst odds in the west. Just do the math.

Zim always the optimist.

NV offers better chance you will draw good tags on a 10 year window. Always a 1 in 400 random shot there on better tags as you build points.

UT not so much. Also, UT limits you to one tag in the draw so if you draw a limited deer tag you are not drawing a sheep tag, for example, as deer are early in the draw process.

You can still build WY pronghorn and deer points and should draw a good pronghorn tag or two and on okay deer tag on a 10 year horizon. If are willing to hunt private then can draw sooner so might think about an elk point strategy to get on private land.

NM might be an option if applying for several species.

If only looking at NV and UT then go with NV.

NV offers better chance you will draw good tags on a 10 year window. Always a 1 in 400 random shot there on better tags as you build points.

UT not so much. Also, UT limits you to one tag in the draw so if you draw a limited deer tag you are not drawing a sheep tag, for example, as deer are early in the draw process.

You can still build WY pronghorn and deer points and should draw a good pronghorn tag or two and on okay deer tag on a 10 year horizon. If are willing to hunt private then can draw sooner so might think about an elk point strategy to get on private land.

NM might be an option if applying for several species.

If only looking at NV and UT then go with NV.

I am building elk, deer, antelope points in AZ, Wy and Co. I have always hunting OTC but those units are getting over run more and more. Just looking to add to my list options if I feel that it’s worth it. All opinions are greatly appreciated!!

I am building elk, deer, antelope points in AZ, Wy and Co. I have always hunting OTC but those units are getting over run more and more. Just looking to add to my list options if I feel that it’s worth it. All opinions are greatly appreciated!!

Statistically, your money would be better spent in Idaho, New Mexico or Montana than Utah or Nevada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back