Moose Colorado Randy's new video

Im not applying for moose anymore because I legally can't after drawing my tag last year!

If you can afford it, I dont understand what the downside is.
Did you take a bull moose? The CO lifetime bull moose harvest limit is one. However, you can draw multiple bull tags and take multiple cows.

That was my point of the video. We all (or at least I do) have limited budgets. I suggested to not blow your budget on lottery-type applications if doing so is going to eat up limited budgets that would be better spent on more realistic options for easier-to-draw hunts.

In the video, I gave my thoughts, that for me and my applications there are three times one should apply for lottery-type hunts.

1. It is in your home state - lower costs and better odds.

2. As an add on in a state where you already sunk the cost in a NR resident license. To add $10-15 as an application fee, when you've already bought the NR license is a pretty cheap lottery ticket.

3. If budgets are not a constraint to your western hunting applications. This might be the case for some, but not for most.
I haven't checked the odss from last year, but in years prior if memory serves me a couple of the cow hunts actually had better odds of drawing than the residents and a few of the bull tags were comparable to resident odds.

I would also factor in that most hunters will harvest a moose and should get several hundred pounds of excellent meat if you are trying to justify the cost versus reward ratio.

That was my point of the video. We all (or at least I do) have limited budgets. I suggested to not blow your budget on lottery-type applications if doing so is going to eat up limited budgets that would be better spent on more realistic options for easier-to-draw hunts.

In the video, I gave my thoughts, that for me and my applications there are three times one should apply for lottery-type hunts.

1. It is in your home state - lower costs and better odds.

2. As an add on in a state where you already sunk the cost in a NR resident license. To add $10-15 as an application fee, when you've already bought the NR license is a pretty cheap lottery ticket.

3. If budgets are not a constraint to your western hunting applications. This might be the case for some, but not for most.
3 unweighted and 13 weighted My 2nd year as a non resident but I plan on applying for Deer and Elk as well so you are absolutely right. No harm there. Just keep applying and hope for the best. If I draw it is still cheaper than going on an outfitted hunt. I spent 50 years in the area I am applying so I know where to go hopefully.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back