Caribou Gear Tarp

Nevada - Is it Worth it?

Redraider7

Basically, the goal is to go elk hunting every year and get on a rotation. Then throw in some really good deer or antelope hunts or another species like alligator or moose every now and then. I got a raise so I am looking to add another State potentially. Is Nevada worth adding or should I go with Idaho, Montana, Alaska or Washington? Below is where I am currently applying

State:
NM
WY
AZ
CO
UT
SD
SC - Alligator
VA - Elk
ME - Moose
VT - Moose
NH - Moose
TX - Exotics

Last edited:
In my opinion, no.
I'm over 20 points for every species but deer in Nevada and have never drawn a tag.
Look at the total amount of non-resident tags they give out and you will see why it's so hard.
I would easily add Idaho before Nevada.
Plus, it looks like you really want to hunt moose, so you could apply for them when the mood strikes you.

As far as Washington goes, only if you want to try to kill a Roosevelt at some point in your life. But you probably won't ever draw a quality tag.

Basically, the goal is to go elk hunting every year and get on a rotation. Then throw in some really good deer or antelope hunts or another species like alligator or moose every now and then. I got a raise so I am looking to add another State potentially. Is Nevada worth adding or should I go with Idaho, Montana, Alaska or Washington? Below is where I am currently applying

State:
NM
WY
AZ
CO
UT
SD
SC - Alligator
VA - Elk
ME - Moose
VT - Moose
NH - Moose
TX - Exotics
If you are under the age of 30...YES, if NOT you are likely just wasting your money and time.

Nevada is not strategically viable for nonresidents. It's a raffle with really poor odds. Montana and Idaho have more of everything (except desert sheep) and bigger elk (prove me wrong) and both have moose. Applying for Alaska is silly unless you have specific goals. Washington? 🤔
No one applies in Washington, for good reason.

In my opinion, no.
I'm over 20 points for every species but deer in Nevada and have never drawn a tag.
Look at the total amount of non-resident tags they give out and you will see why it's so hard.
I would easily add Idaho before Nevada.
Plus, it looks like you really want to hunt moose, so you could apply for them when the mood strikes you.

As far as Washington goes, only if you want to try to kill a Roosevelt at some point in your life. But you probably won't ever draw a quality tag.
I would loooove to go on a Moose hunt. I am also considering applying for moose in Wyoming but the odds are just soo bad...MAybe Idaho moose is the play?

The only reason to apply in Washington is that there is no non-resident allocation limit, that said, the odds suck. I have 27-29 points in sheep/goat/moose and my odds are still less than .5% and I am a resident over 60, doubt that I will ever draw.

I decided NV wasn't worth it for me personally. ID, AK, or MT would all be better places to spend your money IMO. Of course this all just depends on one's priorities. From looking at your list I'd say apply for Idaho moose or Alaska moose maybe both depending on budget and time constraints.

Reactions: Zim

State:
NM
WY
AZ
CO
UT
SD
SC - Alligator
VA - Elk
ME - Moose
VT - Moose
NH - Moose
TX - Exotics
Interesting that you would consider WA before OR. Some good blacktail hunting to be had in OR, and you could easily plan elk into your rotation.

I've dropped out of a couple states, I can't justify paying close to $500 yearly with the exchange rate for states that require a NR license to apply, on top of point fees for < 0.01 odds and maybe drawing a tag in the next 20 years.

I Can put that money towards actual hunting...

I've dropped out of a couple states, I can't justify paying close to $500 yearly with the exchange rate for states that require a NR license to apply, on top of point fees for < 0.01 odds and maybe drawing a tag in the next 20 years.

I Can put that money towards actual hunting...
Solid advice for a guy just starting out. Skip the point game hunt what otc is left and rat hole some cash to buy your way to a moose if that’s what you want

Bummer...I am not but not too far over 30
I’d drop SD for sure and I would absolutely apply in NV. There are less desirable tags in NV that you should eventually draw and would have a good hunt with lots of Public land and very little competition. I’ve hunted NV twice. One of them was easily the best hunt I’ve ever had and the other was much tougher due to season dates. MT has some giant bulls but most of them are in units with mostly private land. The general units are tough and even tougher for someone showing up with very little knowledge about the area. ID has some good units and is worth looking at for sure.

As far as the age thing. If you are in your 30’s and have decent health then I’d apply. You could potentially hunt for 30+ years and your odds of drawing in that amount of time isn’t horrible. Maybe not in the best units, but it’s doable in several units.

State:
NM
WY
AZ
CO
UT
SD
SC - Alligator
VA - Elk
ME - Moose
VT - Moose
NH - Moose
TX - Exotics
NV is expensive and is a long term investment state. You will be looking at 15-20 years to draw any of the quality elk tags unless lightning strikes and you get extremely lucky.

A lot of videos getting released on the list of states you have. Going to get crowded, you need to do the opposite to draw consistently.

NV makes sense if you are in a neighboring state and want to apply for moderate units (not the ones in magazines).

It’s one of those states where you need 10 friends and 10 years applying so you get to know an area as you wait to draw a tag. Your annual hunt is essentially a scouting mission while one of your partners has the tag.

It’s a state where you go chukar hunt in late season and see deer and antelope you couldn’t find in the regular season.

It’s a state when you hunt there you don’t imagine how great it would be to live there. You kinda endure the weather and take pleasure in the animals you do see.

It’s a state where you gotta cover a lot of ground whether in a wilderness or on the desert full of roads. You have to cover the whole unit to find animals

If you want to hunt it every year get lion hounds and a side by side or a chukar pointer.

Can’t believe someone would drop out of applying for a state because they have to buy a license. And state you should put that money towards a hunt. There is no way that pans out. I can see backing out of high dollar point such as Wyoming moose and sheep if you statistically have zero chance.
Nevada like other states is an odds game and a gamble. Play smart and keep your fingers crossed. More points equal better odds (though odds are slim for a lot of hunts).
In 24 years I have drawn
3 mule deer tags
Antelope
Desert Bighorn
Elk

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano