Nevada - Is it Worth it?

Depends on how you look at it I just applied for Alaska spent a couple hundred bucks on tags in the 1-5% range knowing I’ll probably never see them. But if I didn’t apply i definitely would have never got the opportunity. That state has been good to me and I view the money I give the agency as a donation. If your applying for anything without the idea of it’s a good donation for conservation that maybe some
Day you’ll get something back from your gonna have a bad time
Correct.

The thing with Zim is that he figures if he's not entitled to a tag, there's no point in putting in.

Not a bad thing necessarily if money is tight and you want a sure deal and maximum return on your application investment.

His trouble is, he can't see the other side like your post illustrates.

When I started applying seriously out of state in the late 90's, I made the decision to put in for everything. Knowing full well I was mostly applying as a donation to the good cause of wildlife. I'm also good enough at statistics to know that if you apply long enough, for enough tags, even those with low odds, you'll draw some.

I've drawn some pretty awesome tags in the random draw on very low odds.

Correct.

The thing with Zim is that he figures if he's not entitled to a tag, there's no point in putting in.

Not a bad thing necessarily if money is tight and you want a sure deal and maximum return on your application investment.

When I started applying seriously out of state in the late 90's, I made the decision to put in for everything. Knowing full well I was mostly applying as a donation to the good cause of wildlife. I'm also good enough at statistics to know that if you apply long enough, for enough tags, even those with low odds, you'll draw some.

When I decided i looked at it as I do with my 401k I know I want to retire some day just don’t know when so I put money away for it. I know I wanna hunt Nevada some day just don’t know when.

When I decided i looked at it as I do with my 401k I know I want to retire some day just don’t know when so I put money away for it. I know I wanna hunt Nevada some day just don’t know when.
I've started applying for more stuff with this same mentality. If I can draw it in the random I feel it's worth applying if I have the money to do so that year. On the other hand there's a lot of places I'd really like to see that I know it's not likely or worth the money I'm my mind. So I've decided that those places will ve likely summer vacation camping trips with the kids in the near future. Pulling the trigger isn't as important as it once was a few short years ago.

I've started applying for more stuff with this same mentality. If I can draw it in the random I feel it's worth applying if I have the money to do so that year. On the other hand there's a lot of places I'd really like to see that I know it's not likely or worth the money I'm my mind. So I've decided that those places will ve likely summer vacation camping trips with the kids in the near future. Pulling the trigger isn't as important as it once was a few short years ago.
We need guys like you visiting those state parks so @Bill Christy can keep his pension. Just remember that pass is good till midnight

If I would have listened to guys like you, I never would have drawn a lot of my best tags.
Ya agreed, back in the 90’s, 00’s & early 10’s. Those days ended for me in 2011.

Last edited:
It's only not worth it if you don't want to have a chance at one of the best elk hunts of your life. Been there twice. Two of the best hunts and best bulls I've been on.
I'm still in the 7-year penalty box but will definitely be getting back in....whether it's "worth it" or not.

Ya agreed, back in the 90’s, 00’s & early 10’s. Those days ended for me in 2011.
You're "right" as usual...well over 1:100 random odds.

2022 Wyoming moose, second wy moose tag in 7 years.

IMG_4507.JPG

Correct.

Again, look my handle is attacked but no mention of the forum owner who agrees with me, not him. 😂 You don’t know me. You never met me. You have no clue. Throwing around the word “entitled” when the fact is I don’t even care much if I hunt out West anymore since I already met all my goals. My health is failing, heart, feet, knees. Now only goal is to burn as many points as I can.

Another thing you make no mention of is that we no longer live in the 1990’s. When rookies fail to draw, their investment “donation” funds things like corrupt SFW in the case of Utah. Very comforting.

Still waiting on that low odds <1% tag after 25 years & 1,200 applications. Luckily I have enough points in preference based systems to hunt every year if physically able. Unfortunately, rookies today are playing a totally different ballgame.

Desk Pro, Since I went through the courtesy of posting my P&Y’s as you demanded, I’d appreciate an apology now.

And in return, the least you can do is list those 7 so-called <1% odds hunts your group drew. I think that would be very beneficial to the OP & other rookies trying to make financial decisions that will affect their families for decades to come. Don’t you think?

Again, look my handle is attacked but no mention of the forum owner who agrees with me, not him. 😂 You don’t know me. You never met me. You have no clue. Throwing around the word “entitled” when the fact is I don’t even care much if I hunt out West anymore since I already met all my goals. My health is failing, heart, feet, knees. Now only goal is to burn as many points as I can.

Another thing you make no mention of is that we no longer live in the 1990’s. When rookies fail to draw, their investment “donation” funds things like corrupt SFW in the case of Utah. Very comforting.

Still waiting on that low odds <1% tag after 25 years & 1,200 applications. Luckily I have enough points in preference based systems to hunt every year if physically able. Unfortunately, rookies today are playing a totally different ballgame.
Hey clown...my annual donations to the various GF agencies don't go to SFW. They didn't in the 90's and they still don't. Not sure where you pulled that one out of.

The other thing, just because YOU are a loser, doesn't mean everyone else is. I've drawn desert sheep that was over 1:200 odds, muskox over 1:100 odds, 2 random moose tags over 1:100 odds, Oryx that was 1:100 odds. Even more tags in the less than 15% odds. Are you trying to say NV has odds like that? Better than that?

The only odds that really matter are the odds if you don't apply, those would be zero. Like I said, its not your money, everyone can read a draw report and knows the odds. If they want to apply its none of your concern.

Seems to me Randy does a lot of hunting in NV in spite of the crap odds since you keep dragging him into the discussion.

You sound like you're angry at the world because you're falling apart, get over it, because as you said, "nobody cares".

Playing Powerball & applying in NV & UT from the ground floor is just a tax on people bad at math.

Playing Powerball & applying in NV & UT from the ground floor is just a tax on people bad at math.
That must be why NOBODY plays Powerball :ROFLMAO:
And NOBODY applies in NV and UT.

People also ask

How many people play Powerball lottery?

Powerball Statistics & Facts That Will Blow Your Mind

The Powerball lottery is one of the most popular lottery games in the US: It's played by over 181 million people every single year.Oct 10, 2023

NV is worth adding under two scenarios.

1) you want to go early archery deer hunting frequently.

2) money doesn’t matter.

The quality of elk and quality of the hunt are top tier by every measure. The “value” however can measured in many ways, and if it prevents you from applying elsewhere, then the value of a NV elk application can drop substantially. It’s a state that you will probably never draw an elk tag in. 20-30 years of app fees is nothing to some people and a lot to others. If you can go elk hunting every year somewhere else, and still have money to spend on NV, then by all means, give it a shot. If applying in NV prevents you from applying somewhere that you might actually hunt, then hold off on NV at least until your financial situation improves.

I have thrown $14 into NV’s coffers a few times. Only once have purchased a license to accrue a point, and it was probably a mistake. If they told me that I could have my money or my points for each species, I would take my money and apply in ID.

Last edited:
That must be why NOBODY plays Powerball :ROFLMAO:
And NOBODY applies in NV and UT.

People also ask

How many people play Powerball lottery?

Powerball Statistics & Facts That Will Blow Your Mind

The Powerball lottery is one of the most popular lottery games in the US: It's played by over 181 million people every single year.Oct 10, 2023
And the nation’s math scores explain it perfectly.

Basically, the goal is to go elk hunting every year and get on a rotation. Then throw in some really good deer or antelope hunts or another species like alligator or moose every now and then. I got a raise so I am looking to add another State potentially. Is Nevada worth adding or should I go with Idaho, Montana, Alaska or Washington? Below is where I am currently applying

State:
NM
WY
AZ
CO
UT
SD
SC - Alligator
VA - Elk
ME - Moose
VT - Moose
NH - Moose