Netflix adds another hunting show

There's another meateater-esk (I use that very loosely) show on netflix called the Wild Chef, it a bit more Hank Shaw (though obviously not nearly as good as HS), but sort of the same general idea. Go out shoot something then cook it up. Unfortunately the guy has a think eastern Canadian accent that I just couldn't take seriously. I didn't make it 15 minutes before I put on some Top Gear reruns.

I like Meateater and Randy's shows on youtube but I have to confess that it's a lot like watching smut.
If at all possible I'd rather be doing it than watching it.

I watched a little of the first episode of "Frontier", mistakenly thinking that Hollywood would have a historical representation of the trapping heyday....not so. It's another stupid Hollywood rendition of twisted plots...

I will have to check out the Hunt

x2 I made it though about an episode and a half and was over it

Wow ... made it to episode 5, baiting mule deer... and that was enough..

OYOA
MEATEATER
SOLO

Randy and Steven are my idols but Remi is a friggin animal!!!

I have it on right now, and the first episode is a guided elk hunt in Idaho, and seems a little over-done. Good to have another hunting show on Netflix, but I would rather see more seasons of Meateater than this show right now.

You can submit requests for shows on Netflix. Sign into Netflix, hover over your username and then click on "Help Center." On the right side of the screen there's a link for "Request TV shows or movies." You can type your requests in there. I encourage everybody to request Fresh Tracks while they're there!

Currently "watching" the first episode of The Hunt.... Why they chose this over exaggerated, produced and fake looking show to put on Netflix is beyond me.

I watched a little of the first episode of "Frontier", mistakenly thinking that Hollywood would have a historical representation of the trapping heyday....not so. It's another stupid Hollywood rendition of twisted plots...

I will have to check out the Hunt

My wife and I watched about 2 episodes and it is quite bad. My wife said it was like a poor mans "Taboo" with Tom Hardy except with bad acting.

Regardless of whether or not you like this new show, I think it's worth our time to give it a high rating and contact netflix saying you appreciate the addition of new shows to the hunting/outdoors genre and want to see more.

I agree that this particular show is not my cup of tea but I think the host is well spoken enough to be a good representative of hunting if any non hunters stumble upon this show. This same show has been on Amazon Prime for some time and I've watched most of the episodes. It is better than some shows I see on the networks that are Bubba hunters with accents that I have a hard time understanding. Not that there is anything wrong with Bubba or his drawl it just reinforces a stereotype that the antis love to bash.

Why would we want to give it a high rating? They will get the idea that we want more private land canned hunts, there's enough of those on tv already. No thanks!

THE HUNT ...

a 30 minute commercial for a specific outfitter, then drop after drop of sponsor names.

Randy, Remy, SOLOHNTR and Steve have spoiled us!

ouch finally watched 10 minutes...I think I know why every guy in the forest is aggressively blowing their bugle every 2 minutes and it has everything to do with shows like this.

Here's a question...why the game camera when they were quartering that elk...product placement?

Last edited:
I clicked through a bunch of episodes and fast forwarded to see if anything was redeemable... both black bear episodes use the same stock footage of bears that they clearly purchased... and I think is possibly of a bear in a zoo. The brown episode is 22 mins of Trijicon factory tour and then just the kill shot of the bear. The show shows baiting in almost every episode which while a totally acceptable hunting method where legal is not something I want to watch on TV, also the talks about packing out like we should have been proud of him for packing out his own animal which to me insinuates this isn't the norm and shouldn't be expected of your average hunter.

This is one of the worst hunting shows I have ever taken the time to watch.

I giving it a one star because I think given all the anti-hunting messaging out there we need our best ambassadors out there in mainstream venues like Netflix, this show can and will give the wrong idea to people who are on the fence about hunting and should be taken down.

This show is truly awful. Frustrating to see this on Netflix when there are way better shows that are also more appropriate for a non-hunter audience. I'd rather watch the stuff that gear and clothing manufacturers (kuiu, yeti, etc.) put on YouTube.

I also watched some of the episodes...I, like the rest of you, thought it was a bit much. I didn't care for the Mule deer baiting episode for sure, but to each their own. I still like that they at least have some shows on Netflix.

I tried watching The Hunt, but it was awful. The guy won't shut his yapper for 5 seconds. He acted all tough because he helped the guide pack his elk out. He had a Thermacell strapped to his pack for an October spot and stalk elk hunt.

I'd rather watch a Meat Eater episode for the 20th time on Netflix than watch another of this guy's episodes.

If I wanted to show my nonhunting friends how/why I hunt, it would not be with this show.

If I wanted to show my nonhunting friends how/why I hunt, it would not be with this show.

The thing with Netflix is that they are not so much in the business of introducing people to new genres. They are trying to make sure they serve markets that already exist. Even many of their own branded shows are meticulously planned to cater to groups and viewing habits that they know they already have. I don't know how the vetting process looks for Netflix but somewhere along the way, someone at Netflix was convinced it was a good idea. Whether they came to that conclusion based on their internal analysis, somebody at The Hunt had some inside connection, or whoever was doing content selection at Netflix whiffed on moving into the hunting market is beyond my knowledge.

There's another meateater-esk (I use that very loosely) show on netflix called the Wild Chef, it a bit more Hank Shaw (though obviously not nearly as good as HS), but sort of the same general idea. Go out shoot something then cook it up. Unfortunately the guy has a think eastern Canadian accent that I just couldn't take seriously. I didn't make it 15 minutes before I put on some Top Gear reruns.

Martin Picard is a serious chef. I first learned about him on the Montreal episode of Tony Bourdain's Parts Unknown. Seeing some of his cooking at the sugar shack made me wish I was French Canadian.

That show is really more about cooking.

Now I'm hungry.

Martin Picard is a serious chef. I first learned about him on the Montreal episode of Tony Bourdain's Parts Unknown. Seeing some of his cooking at the sugar shack made me wish I was French Canadian.

That show is really more about cooking.

Now I'm hungry.

I enjoyed the Wild Chef...yeah you have to get past the french canadian accent but it was fun watching them try to cram foie gra into every dish.

Interesting when you look at this show along with the recently loaded babe winkleman's hunting show compared to MeatEater. Definitely shows the appeal of Rinellas message across demographics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back