My oldest son hit double digits

Flatbrimmer

My son turned 10 today and I can’t believe how fast time flies. My dad took us to the Dropkick Murphys show at the Elm in Bozeman for AJ’s first punk rock show. I’ve been to a couple DKM concerts starting when I was about his age and going to concerts with my old man have always been great memories.

First thing when we got inside, we picked him up a Teeshirt for the tour. We got to the front rail early so he could have the closest possible view and see the magic. The first band was straight from Ireland and did pretty well. AJ didn’t realize that it wasn’t even who we came to see, but his energy showed he was enjoying it. Next up was pennywise, another long time band I’ve seen a couple times in concert. At the end of their set, they pulled my son and I, along with our friend and his boy, up on stage to sing along. Avery was nervous at first but within seconds his arms were up and he was bouncing while roaring the “Bro Hymn”. I couldn’t believe it! That might have been the highlight of the show, but when Dropkick Murphys came on, the place erupted. I struggled a little to keep the crowd from suffocating the kids on the rail, but I had a lot of help from helpful concert-goers and many praise about bringing the kids out to see the show. My son got a guitar pick, a set list signed by every member of the band and Ken Casey, DKM frontman, handed me the microphone to sing along to the “Worker’s Song”. It was an absolutely epic show and I think my son is HOOKED. Bowling next weekend!!

Any other punk rock fans out there? Anyone else attend???

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1708410276420.jpeg
    FB_IMG_1708410276420.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0418.jpeg
    IMG_0418.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2346.jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    495.6 KB · Views: 61
@kwyeewyk is your name know what you eat, eat what you know? lol has anyone ever asked that or is that already out there? I had a lightbulb moment just now……. If so, I like it!

1708490566521.gif

Thats a great show for the boy's first, PW and DKM are both more youth oriented than they used to be. If you watch the documentary "The Other F Word" you can really see that parenthood changed Jim quite a bit. I was just reliving an epic Pennywise show in my head earlier as I drove by the venue where it happened. I've been to many rougher shows in much worse locations, but there was a tangible danger that was special at this one. This was quite a few years ago, just blocks from the old big Hells Angels clubhouse in Reno. There were patched HAs wandering around, with a rather large Reno PD presence. Then, of all things, a couple girls started beating on each other and it nearly devolved into a riot. Great show though, I'll always make time to see Pennywise. We're going to AZ later in the year to see Pennywise and Bad Religion, can't wait for that. Haven't seen DKM in a few years, but they are awesome live.

Last edited:
Thats a great show for the boy's first, PW and DKM are both more youth oriented than they used to be. If you watch the documentary "The Other F Word" you can really see that parenthood changed Jim quite a bit. I was just reliving an epic Pennywise show in my head earlier as I drove by the venue where it happened. I've been to many rougher shows in much worse locations, but there was a tangible danger that was special at this one. This was quite a few years ago, just blocks from the old big Hells Angels clubhouse in Reno. There were patched HAs wandering around, with a rather large Reno PD presence. Then, of all things, a couple girls started beating on each other and it nearly devolved into a riot. Great show though, I'll always make time to see Pennywise. We're going to AZ later in the year to see Pennywise and Bad Religion, can't wait for that. Haven't seen DKM in a few years, but they are awesome live.
You’re the second person to refer that documentary. I was told a little about it the night of the show as well. I’ll watch it soon! Have fun and be safe at yalls show! Post some pics up when ya go!

I was there, and was just behind you guys. I've seen both bands countless times over the past 30 years, and that show definitely didn't disappoint! What a cool experience that was for you guys, to have Fletcher pull you up on stage. Those kids will never forget that!

IMG_0367 Large.jpeg

Nice dude!!!! I figured there would be at least one or two HTers there! I shoulda posted something before the show we coulda grabbed a beer.

Definitely epic experience to have with my son. Hopefully many more to come!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back