Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Deer - Most important hunt of the season

Wow. Thanks for the story and taking out the older folks. I can only hope some young TV star will take me hunting when I'm an old fart.
Can you get this episode on the web so I can see it?
Thanks

Yes,

This will be a great episode. Any chance of having an "uncut" version on the seasons DVD? I gotta believe there is more material there to enjoy then one episode can handle.

Yes,

This will be a great episode. Any chance of having an "uncut" version on the seasons DVD? I gotta believe there is more material there to enjoy then one episode can handle.

Randy, what you just did was to turn these two old guys into teenagers again, with all the thrill of the hunt! What a gift.

I was 45 when I went on my first elk hunt, and I realized it was like being 5 years old again, but with real horses, real guns and real elk.

Awesome hunt that will make for a great episode I'm sure. Congrats Randy! After all the hunts you've had this season where you've worked your tail off and not had a kill shot on tape, I imagine it was very pleasant and rewarding to have great company and great results on this one.

Very entertaining story, glad to hear everyone had such a good time. That's what hunting's all about. Can't wait to see that episode!! :D

Back from another day with Ole and Sven. Another one of those days I will never forget.

Not as much activity today, but given the blistering winds, not a big surprise. We did have a few opportunities that should have resulted in more dead deer, but they slipped through the fingers. Ole was glad to see me go on a bush beating circuit to try push more deer down the creek bottom. His final instructions were, "Be fast about it Sport, and don't come back without one."

I was laughing at him when he told me to shoot until II was out of tags or out of bullets. I only had a doe tag left, so I hoped to be out of tags before I was out of bullets. With that, I left the stand with him and Neil telling stories about who was the best goose caller. Not sure they ever settle that argument.

I had not been gone too long, when I noticed a group of does up on the hillside. It is always tough to push then down into the cottonwoods, when they are comfortable in their high perch that gives them a commanding view of all below.

I walked straight toward them, waiting to see what way they would go. They just stayed bedded. I ranged them at 420. Not a shot I am taking on a doe. Since they seemed comfortable, so long as they could see me, I kept walking. - 250 ..... 220 ....180 ... finally at 155, they decided to stand up and take note of what my intentions were.

Too bad for them. By the time they stood, I had the camera rolling and the Howa was loaded with the bipod fully extended. I decided I better glass to see which ones were most appealing. Good thing I did. The one on the far left and the far right were both small bucks. Wow, that would have been a bad deal.

The one doe was very brown looking and gave me a perfect broadside shot. Trigger pull felt good. Was pretty sure where I hit her, but by the time the recoil allowed me to return to the scope, there were three deer trotting off. Usually a good sign. Walked up and there was the last of my allowed whitetail does laying there. Perfect double lung shot with a bigger than expected exit wound. No meat wasted and she was the perfect doe, probably 2.5 years old. Ole would be happy and I could now put my rifle in the truck.

I continued my tour around the beaver ponds and creek bottoms. I watched one deer run by the stand, but heard no shots. I continued trying to round up these deer, in hopes that they would follow my instructions. Not sure how they know where you want them to go, but about 75% of them go the opposite direction.

Within a couple hours I was back at the stand. Ole had a long look on his face. I could tell things did not go as planned. The deer had come by at Mach II, according to Ole. Neil claims it bedded forty yards from the stand and Ole couldn't see it. Again, i suspect the truth is only found in video tape.

I asked if I could at least drink some water and eat a PBJ before the next round up. Ole laughed and said, "I guess we will let you."

Ole told me that Neil played the harmonica most of the time I was beating the bush. Neil envisions himself as the reincarnation of Stephen Foster. He plays whenever he damn well pleases. It gets under Ole's skin, and I am sure that makes it all the more appealing to Neil. Ole claims that is why none of the deer came his way.

With that, I was up and at 'em. The deer seemed to be accumulating up stream. I made the same big loop I made yesterday and hoped the deer would come to Ole's bullet. It was so windy, it was hard to walk into the wind. Howling is not even a good word to describe it. Any shots would have to be with or against the wind.

It took me at least two hours to make this trip. I would trot ahead to try cut off the deer that were going the wrong direction. I would have better results trying to stop the rotation of the earth. Deer go wherever deer want to go.

I did finally get a few to cooperate. I watched as they went toward the blind. Whew. I kept walking, but heard no shooting. Hmmmm.

I got to the blind and Ole was all arms and hands, talking and explaining what had happened. One deer smoked past him at a far distance, providing no shot. Another deer snuck in from behind and bedded behind a downed cottonwood. Ole had no shot from the stand. So, Mason moved the camera forward to get the deer in the frame, then waved Ole out of the stand to come shoot the doe.

Ole arrived, but the wind was whipping him so hard, he did not feel comfortable with an offhand shot. Or, so he says. Neil says that Ole still could not see it, even when Mason showed him the deer in the camera viewfinder. Whatever the reason, another doe had escaped the our clutches.

It was funny to sit and listen to the different versions of today's events. Will have to see the tape to really know for sure. Not that it even matters, given how much fun they were having being in the deer woods.

Around 2:00PM Ole decided he had enough of the wind. Given I was donating my doe to his larder, he was more than happy to call it good and pack up the blind. Feeling equally windburned and my side sore from laughing, I did not protest. I did tell him that in the coming months, I was not wanting to hear from him how I pussed out and we packed up early. He promised, but I suspect next time I see him, he will tell me how he would have filled his other doe tag had I been tough enough to hang in there all day.

I was surprised that he was able to hang in there as long as he did for almost two days. He is not a spring chicken. He is amazing in his wit and humor, though no doubt gets tired from the early mornings and the drain cold weather puts on your body.

As we were loading up, Neil pulled me aside and asked if I would have any time to help him get Ole out on a goose hunt next month. We used to do that a lot, and if my schedule allows, I will be laying in the goose pits, listening to them instruct the other of how and when to call, all the while blaming the other guy for any flocks that flare and taking full credit for any that come in. Can hardly wait.

Ole, thankful to be in the rig and out of the wind. His face looks a little ruddy from the blasting it took today. Stopped at the ranch headquarters to give thanks and provide an update. They told me their weather station had many gusts over 60 mph today, with the strongest being 71 mph. I believe it.

IMG_1444.JPG

Neil, with his normal mischievous look. Nemont - Neil says to tell you "Hello." Seems you share the same affliction for shooting lots of geese when others are shooting elk and deer.

IMG_1445.JPG

And so ends the best two days of my season. The best by a long shot. I will laugh long and hard as I think about the jokes and stories told. I take great comfort that Neil and I have made good on our promise to Ole that he would shoot another deer this year.

When it was all over, Ole said he would love to do this again next year. So would I. Sure hope we get to do that.

That is what hunting is all about.

Pretty cool, Randy, pretty dang cool.

Nicely done and Happy Thanksgiving to all the Hunttalkers.

The rest of the story as told by my good friend Oak:

On the first day of my Montana deer hunt, I went hunting.

Ole and Neil are my friends. They went hunting too.

Ole shot a buck. Neil shot a doe.

Ole said, "Shoot straight and shoot often."

Then I saw a buck.

I shot straight.

And that's all I got to say about that!

IMG_1334.JPG

Great buck, Randy, and great story! Sounds like you guys had a good time. What a crew of characters.

Great buck Randy! Sounds like quite an adventure with those guys! Beautiful photo! Congrats!

Pretty tough to find a better time hunting then this.

Good on you Randy for helping your friend enjoy the great outdoors again!

Congrats to for putting this together. I have gotten to hoist a few with Neil after a couple of DU events here in Glasgow. He is good people even he still looks like a Hutterite.

This will be a great episode.

Nemont

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back