Not Ideal late season hunt…

Dsnow9

I contemplated not writing about my last two hunts of the year but this place needs a pick me up right now and figured this should be interesting. I have a late season antelope doe tag in a mostly private unit in northern colorado. West of i70 and south of the border… If anyone has access and wants some elk stakes or something else in return pm me 😉.

My seven year old daughter’s favorite meat is antelope and she wants to go hunt with dad. I have been swamped with contracts I needed to finish for my business before the end of the year and just finished. I did not draw a tag this year and this was the only one I was able to pick up in the reissue process. I got an Airbnb in the unit for the night of 12/28. We will hunt the 28th and 29th.

The hunt may mostly consist of driving, glassing, and hoping for a generous land owner to have a soft spot for my daughter.

There is a backup plan of a 3 mile bike ride in, river crossing, and a couple mile hike, to get to a spot that might hold antelope. I asked a few people from the forum if they would door knock, or go for the crazy mission with a seven year old. All but some indoor enthusiast said I should door knock. Asked my daughter what she wanted to do, and let’s just say she is my kid. “I want to have fun, not knock on doors, even if we don’t get anything.”

This is where the tail gets interesting. I was finishing up my last contract of the year and had to remove a tree grate in order to grind the stump.

5AD90B29-29F2-4DE9-8874-88BC06FF6EEC.jpeg
It was this style and about 2” thick. It was so full of dirt and debris I couldn’t get a rope under it. I grabbed the grate to lift it slightly and hopefully get a rope on it to lift with my grapple truck. The grate shifted and slid as I lifted it and could not hold the weight. I dropped the grate and it caught the toes on my left foot.

48 hours later this is what my toe looks like and I cannot put weight on it.
13656EE2-7176-47D4-B326-1D337D4E3037.jpeg
I had to work on it yesterday to finish the contract (business ownership). It sucked. I pulled the crutches out of the basement to keep as much weight off of it as possible. My goal is to heal up enough to hike by Thursday. We shall see. I won’t be in the quitters thread but it may be very limited.

We also have a late season private land deer doe tag that goes till Jan 31st. Hope you all can enjoy this little light at the end of the year. I’d pass up a OIL tag before I would miss a hunt with my daughter. Last year we hunted a doe deer in -3 temps, I tried to talk her out of it but she dragged me out of the house.
9BB5D40B-5DF8-4F3B-BEFA-47504E3E57BD.jpeg

What is it with you and appendages? You gotta relieve the pressure under that nail though.
Good luck on the hunt, it will be fun no mater what.
You’re telling me, this will be the 4th nail I lose in the last 6 months. It’s been brutal. All from impacts.

Pressure is relieved, it’s still oozing slowly.

Last edited:
It's pretty cool that she's as persistent as she is! I don't know many kids that'd want to go out in that weather! But by golly get her out if that's what she wants to do!

She's going to end up hauling you in to a hunting spot if you keep hurting yourself!

Can you locate a well insulated walking boot with traction added to the bottom, might not allow much sneaking though. Good luck, heal quickly and make sure your daughter has a fun time with dad.

You’re telling me, this will be the 4th nail I lose in the last 6 months. It’s been brutal. All from impacts.

Pressure is relieved, it’s still oozing slowly.

Dude, I bet I've smashed off a nail only 4 times in my entire life, and I've spent a whole lot of time swinging hammers and moving heavy stuff!

Dude, I bet I've smashed off a nail only 4 times in my entire life, and I've spent a whole lot of time swinging hammers and moving heavy stuff!
Me too! The only 4 in my life and I’ve been smashing them for 30 years.

I only have one fully recovered as it is (ring finger left hand). One almost done growing back. And the other is dead at the cuticle but still holding on, waiting to grow out. It’s been a rough six months!
B19CC47D-605D-4839-8645-5EB6413636B4.jpegEA97A50A-3DBD-4776-8BB3-655952F9782D.jpeg

We were lifting doing preacher curls in college, and we were pulling off weights. You have to slide off 45’s at the same time or an easy bar will flip. Some one said something to me and I turned away. My buddy pulled his weight and I heard the familiar sound of a plate sliding down the bar. I pulled my foot as fast as I could. The weight landed with a crisp thud on my big toe. It hurt like. Mother effer. By the time I got my shoe off the nail was off and and pouring blood. It still looks like the badlands to this day.

Back