Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Lucky or good?

Great shot and experience for that young man. Good for him!

Is a .243 topped with a Berger a good combo for elk? Please respond :)

I agree with everyone saying take the shot you are comfortable with. Also with Greenhorn that many shouldn't hunt with bows (or anything for that matter). A little practice with field points in August then screwing on broadheads as many do, does not scream ethical to me to begin with. Nor does watching long range pursuit and seeing dirt fly 2 feet in front of a bighorn at 800yds.

Practice with your weapon of choice and know your limitations. I've killed elk with a bow head on, broadside, quartering to and away. Do I like one more than another? Not really. Have I lost an elk? Yes and it was the easiest shot I may ever have. It comes down to watching the animals body language and being willing to pass a shot and risk not having a "hero" pic to post to the web.

This is one of the best posts.
It doesn't matter what your weapon of choice is, you must be proficient with it. The $15K "shooting system" is worth a nickel if you haven't practiced and become competent with it.
As far as .243 for elk, not my first choice but where you put the bullet is more important then the caliber IMO. here's some ballistics data.

http://www.ballistics101.com/243_winchester.php

On another website a guy said the kid did a followup conversation when they dressed it out and he had hit the right carotid artery in the neck and it went on into the heart. With those two spots hit like that it's no wonder it bled out that fast. Several guys on bowsite say they take the shot every time they can when the animal is close and that it's better than the broadside shot as far as fast kill and tracking. One guy that has over 50 bow kills and double digit P&Y bulls says he'll take that shot over a broadside shot under 20 yards every time. As far as my thoughts on it, I think it's about like those 1000+ yard shots with a rifle on the TV shows, mostly made to sell the equipment being used, and then people rush out and think they can do it because it's so easy.

Last edited:
The only elk I ever nailed with an arrow and didn't recover it, was a broadside shot where my arrow hit a hard bone, somewhere on the scapula. I got about 4" of penetration. Even though I had a bad experience with the broadside shot, I won't argue it's a great angle to have. The elk lived a month longer only to be killed with a bullet by a friend of mine. Any angle of a shot can be flubbed. Here's a neat video of a deer skeleton that shows what you need to avoid hitting with an arrow.

http://vimeo.com/66815744

I have seen lots of deer with broad heads grown into bone and old arrow wounds healed over. Most recently a buck shot by my dad had a broad head in its scull. That being said I think most people underestimate how lethal a sharp broad head is. Thanks for the Vid Greenhorn

Of course there are videos on youtube when this stuff works. I'm guessing the guys that stick an arrow in the shoulder or bounce one off the ribcage are more reluctant to show it off.

Back