Yeti GOBOX Collection

Lucky or good?

You're mileage may vary. In my opinion, it's "unethical" for some guys to pick up archery in he first place. I've had 3 great results on elk with quartering toward and the gullet. 4 on lopes. No bad experiences yet. Super lethal.

He's eatin that Elk.
Considering the dozens of hit and lost "perfect" shots every friggin year, congrats to the kid.

I am curious...does a statement such as this come from experience??

Somewhat, never took this shot. Have drawn back at this angle, have held for a long time at this angle. Problem is, while at this angle, their eye sight and depth perception is way better. I will always prefer the broadside shot on a relaxed, unaware critter.

Last edited:
I've seen that shot twice. On one I could see the insert from the broadhead sticking out through the bulls mane as he walked back to his cows and continued checking the ladies. The other time the castle doctrine (self defense law) applied and my life was preserved. My friend's shot was only 8 feet and still a miss but enough to turn the bull away from killing me. I'm glad my friend was able to shoot or I may not be posting. Both times didn't kill the elk. Since then, I've passed on a frontal shot and will continue to do so except for self defence.

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that he actually hit that elk in the neck? If you look at the Grip and Grin at the end, you can see the hole in the neck. I doubt the arrow exited, that being the case, looks like he was lucky enough to hit the jugular. Seems like a low percentage shot to me; but Absolutely, Congrats to the young Hunter!! Nice Shot.

I'm saying lucky but the blood sure flowed.

I had a buddy that got a 5x5 with a shot to the neck. He was actually aiming at the vitals, but a bush got in the way and changed the flight of the arrow. My buddy got lucky and hit the jugular. There was blood up to 8 foot high into the trees. VERY LETHAL.

But, he was VERY LUCKY to get the bull at all. If that arrow had not hit the branch it did, it may have ended up in the front should and he would have watched the bull run off.

The closer the shot, the better the shot, and the easier it is to make. There is always a chance for error on any shot we all take. Ethical for one, may not be ethical for another.

For me, I have no idea if I would have taken the shot, but obviously this kid knew what he was doing.

Although he hit the artery, it looks to me like that kid's broadhead might be stuffed in that elk's heart. Hitting a bone from that angle is no more likely than broadside. Look at the skeleton of an elk. As long as you hit forward of the leg bone, from that angle, it's money. Easy to do at that range. That is not a neck shot, - it's in the boiler room.

I took one of those shots that Sweetnectar mentioned. Had a big bull come in straight on. I drew back and held while he continued walking towards me. He finally stopped at around 5 yards. My mind said there's no way you can miss. Imagine kneeling with a 350 at 5 yards. I let it fly and after a loud thwack he wheeled and ran back to the cows. I saw the arrow fall out as soon as he wheeled and like was mentioned you could actually see the broad head and insert poking out of his hair. I squarely hit the brisket bone and it only penetrated maybe an inch. I have no doubt that a few inches higher and I'd have a big bull on my wall but you have to hit them in the soft spot just above the brisket.
I have seen some horror shots though were the arrow slid along side that brisket bone and the leg. They end up basically sliding along the rib cage and exiting behind the leg. Lots of blood and no kill. I personally won't take the shot again because of my experience but it can be done and be lethal.

Pretty cool to see.. but would never take that shot with an arrow. To many what ifs we owe it to the animal to make a ethical shot , not saying we all haven't made a shot or 2 that we wish we didn't take. How bad did you feel when you never found him after 2 days of looking?

Seen some end up hangin in camp but not to many..... odds are not in your favor it's more luck.

Hunting is full of too many stories about critters getting hit and not recovered. Not just Archery, but hunting in general. The long and the short of it is this... Begin Rant.

I cannot tell you what shots you are comfortable taking! If your shot doesn't land or perform as intended, I will gladly help you look for the critter without telling you that you shouldn't have shot. That is what hunting partners do. What purpose does it serve if I judge you for not making the shot? If you are comfortable with the shot, SHOOT! If You are not comfortable with the shot Don't Shoot. I cannot tell you what you are comfortable with! My opinions are only valid on what shots I can take! Were I in this shooter's shoes... I don't think I would have been able to stop shaking long enough to place the pin.

As far as the clip goes... The Elk Died Quickly. 'Nuff said!

Shooting is often, "Your results may vary!" We could have the same talk about long range hunting shows shooting Elk at 700-1000yds. Is it ethical??? My theory on shots, IF You are not 100% confident in your ability to place the shot in the vitals, and 100% confident in your gear being lethal Don't Shoot! That doesn't mean that I don't miss!!! But every time I pop my release or pull the trigger I fully expect a vital hit, and a dead critter.

End Rant...

Great shot and experience for that young man. Good for him!

Is a .243 topped with a Berger a good combo for elk? Please respond :)

I agree with everyone saying take the shot you are comfortable with. Also with Greenhorn that many shouldn't hunt with bows (or anything for that matter). A little practice with field points in August then screwing on broadheads as many do, does not scream ethical to me to begin with. Nor does watching long range pursuit and seeing dirt fly 2 feet in front of a bighorn at 800yds.

Practice with your weapon of choice and know your limitations. I've killed elk with a bow head on, broadside, quartering to and away. Do I like one more than another? Not really. Have I lost an elk? Yes and it was the easiest shot I may ever have. It comes down to watching the animals body language and being willing to pass a shot and risk not having a "hero" pic to post to the web.

The first 6x6 I killed was quartering to, bull died in sight. We opened him up to investigate.
IMG_0554.jpg
IMG_0556.jpg

Some guy took the holy grail quartering away shot. Found it by smell. Two days later we ran into the hunter at his camp 5 miles away, said he made a great shot on a bull but never recovered it.

IMG_0894.jpg

Nor does watching long range pursuit and seeing dirt fly 2 feet in front of a bighorn at 800yds.

Absolutely!!

I watched Ha a friend who shot the ITRC and finished top 5 miss a bear 5 times in MT at about 900. We didn't notice that the updraft up the hill had about a 10 mph wind quartering left to right from about 400yds out to the target. Slugs were landing in sagebrush and it was incredibly difficult to spot impacts.

This is a shooter who can shoot sub 5" 1000 groups with this rifle. Bad day, misread the wind and 5 misses. But he was dead confident in the gear. Is it ethical? He thought it was, and my opinion doesn't matter. The fact that he missed doesn't necessarily make it unethical. It was human error that caused the miss.

Back