Lucky or good?

Disclaimer, I've never taken the shot, I’m mostly a little bitter from listening to the experts poo-poo the shot for so many years and listening to them……………..

Seems like a pretty low percentage shot, though it worked for this guy. Funny thing is, the guys who take the frontal shot, hit bone, and loose the bull tend to not post it on Youtube.

Wait I have shot one frontal at about 50 yards with a 30-06! Lights out!

Last edited:
Funny thing is, the guys who take the frontal shot, hit bone, and loose the bull tend to not post it on Youtube.

As does the guy who takes a long broadside shot, hits guts and looses the bull................

Last edited:
Seems like a pretty low percentage shot, though it worked for this guy. Funny thing is, the guys who take the frontal shot, hit bone, and loose the bull tend to not post it on Youtube.

I'd say that is true of every gut shot bull that is found weeks or months later.

And even less surface area if I took a Texas heart shot. Plus, I don't have to stare at antler and reduce the risk of a jumped string. Disregard anatomy and we're gold. If you're "lobbing" arrows at forty yrds and aiming for the blue, perhaps shrinking up the range is in order.

Few years ago a buddy took this shot at about 40 yrds. Great shooter, rig gets 90+ lbs ke, shot a rage. Tracked that bull forever, didn't seem to have anything wrong with him. Next day he was pushing cows. Last year different buddy shot a bull in the lower throat with a 270 wsm at 150yrds, premium bullet. Bull flipped over backwards, slid 200 yrds down the hill, bulldozed over countless saplings, got up and was gone. Tracked him thru the snow for about two miles until he lost us over a rocky ridge at about 9000 ft.

Didn't like the shots then, hate them now. It's just not ethical. Luck comes and goes, but ethics are always with you. Especially when nobody else is there to see them.

I will say anyone that is interested should search the Bowsite threads for that old codger(BB) in Utah that has posted and re-posted his views on the frontal shot, he may change your mind!

All good points Dink but I'm not sure if that kill zone you drew on the front on bull isn't a little big.
The only time I've taken this shot I cut the jugular vein, 1 inch left or right and I would have had to watch the bull leave with a 28 inch shaft half buried in him that hadn't touched anything that would cause a quick death.

A bull frontal at 20 yards is no more likely to jump the string than a bull broadside at 20 yards

I've heard a ton of different opinions on this topic in other forums. Most of the guys felt if they were hunting by themselves, this is a lot of times the best shot opportunity you get. When with a second caller, the chance to lure the bull past the hunter is hopefully allowed to happen to get at nice broadside shot.

I'm ok with the shot as long as its a shorter shot... say sub 20 yards.

I know it's my first post and what do I know but, the kid pinned that bull two feet from where it was shot. Tough to criticize that. The video was not of some yahoo lobbing a 600 yd Hail Mary at a running doe and finding it half eaten the next day. At 23 yards what would your spread look like with a bow? Kid gets a attaboy from me. The video has generated lots of discussion on this side of the border too.

Couldn't disagree more with this statement.

+1 Redwood

Dinkshooter is way off. Plus the vitals he drew on that frontal shot is way over exaggerated. I personally believe you have a baseball sized spot to hit tops. And the bull doesn't even have to jump your string to F the shot up. If he moves his hooves to the left or right just a couple inches your just gonna hit bone. Plus deer and elk are way better at jumping strings than everybody thinks. Watch more slow motion kill shots and you will see.

I think at really close ranges, under 20 yards, the frontal is probably ok if he isn't looking at you. Still not sure I would take it though with a bow.

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/interviews/danmooreelk/

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this from another site. Not trying to start anything, because it did on another site accidently. Here in this interview with Dan Moore on track #23 he talks about his favorite shot. He says its the frontal quartering to shot. Dan said he is 17 for 17 on this shot. He has killed over 50 elk in his life. He says in the video there is a 4"x16" area half way up the neck.
Like I said earlier, when you are by yourself a lot of times this is the only shot you are presented with. I'd take it 20 yards and under.

Last edited:
Not to keep poking this thing, but go listen to dans interview. First clip, 2:50 into it. Says it all from a guy that dwarfs most of what we think we know about stick'n elk.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back