Hunting Novice

CptCasual

Hello Everyone! I am 31 yo who is originally from Las Vegas, Nevada. I would fish and bushcraft while growing up but I never had the opportunity to go hunting until I went with my in-laws a few years ago and now I am hooked. My family and I just moved to the Denver, CO area for my new job as an electrical engineer. I would like to meet fellow hunters out in the Denver area so I can make new hunting friends as well as gain as much knowledge as possible so I can pass it down to my son when he becomes old enough to go hunting.

Hello Everyone! I am 31 yo who is originally from Las Vegas, Nevada. I would fish and bushcraft while growing up but I never had the opportunity to go hunting until I went with my in-laws a few years ago and now I am hooked. My family and I just moved to the Denver, CO area for my new job as an electrical engineer. I would like to meet fellow hunters out in the Denver area so I can make new hunting friends as well as gain as much knowledge as possible so I can pass it down to my son when he becomes old enough to go hunting.
Hi, and welcome to Colorado! I'm down for any kind of upland bird and small game hunting :) Message me if you'd like to plan something together

Thank you! It is nice to know that I am not the only one. I am excited to learn as much as I can!
There’s quite a lot of “adult onset” hunters. As I understand it’s one of the largest growing sectors of hunter demographic currently.

I’ve learned that getting your questions answered often comes down to how you ask. Despite being essentially as ignorant and in need of teaching as youth hunters, no one will treat you like a youth hunter. So a question that one might answer were a 13 yo kid asking, they may not answer for you, or at least not as directly.

The biggest faux pas is asking where to go. No one will tell you, but they will balk at you for asking.

Getting out there hunting/scouting, and then coming back with your specific questions will get better results. Some folks like knowing you have some sweat equity invested before they divulge their knowledge. Just my observations.

I’ve heard the BHA has a learn to hunt program, too. Might be worth checking out.

There’s quite a lot of “adult onset” hunters. As I understand it’s one of the largest growing sectors of hunter demographic currently.

I’ve learned that getting your questions answered often comes down to how you ask. Despite being essentially as ignorant and in need of teaching as youth hunters, no one will treat you like a youth hunter. So a question that one might answer were a 13 yo kid asking, they may not answer for you, or at least not as directly.

The biggest faux pas is asking where to go. No one will tell you, but they will balk at you for asking.

Getting out there hunting/scouting, and then coming back with your specific questions will get better results. Some folks like knowing you have some sweat equity invested before they divulge their knowledge. Just my observations.

I’ve heard the BHA has a learn to hunt program, too. Might be worth checking out.
That is good to know. I've never heard of the BHA before but I'll start looking into them. Thank you!

Good points about being a young hunter in terms of not having experience, but being treated as an adult.

As for places to go hunting - well, it seems to me that because public good hunting places are so hard to find, to the point that information about such places is valuable intel. And it's perishable information, too - what's a good spot this year might not be the same in a year or two.

And many hunters including myself would be very reluctant to share information which took many days and hundreds of miles of trial and error to acquire - at least not on public forums.
Now, if we meet someone in person and go hunting together - I'd be willing to share such places with a bro I'm sharing a campsite with. There's a different level of trust once people meet in person

Good points about being a young hunter in terms of not having experience, but being treated as an adult.

As for places to go hunting - well, it seems to me that because public good hunting places are so hard to find, to the point that information about such places is valuable intel. And it's perishable information, too - what's a good spot this year might not be the same in a year or two.

And many hunters including myself would be very reluctant to share information which took many days and hundreds of miles of trial and error to acquire - at least not on public forums.
Now, if we meet someone in person and go hunting together - I'd be willing to share such places with a bro I'm sharing a campsite with. There's a different level of trust once people meet in person
That is a fair point. I feel like that is a concept that extends even outside of hunting. If the public finds out about a good spot for... whatever really...a lot of people will flock there, and that usually results in that spot changing from what it used to be and not usually in the best of ways.

Thank you for the wisdom.

Welcome from a fellow adult onset hunter. You could do alot worse than Denver for a place to learn to hunt. Backcountry Hunters and Anglers (BHA) is pretty active in the area as I recall. They host gatherings fairly often. Good opportunity to chat with fellow hunters and gain some knowledge.

Howdy neighbor! I didn't get any big game tags this year but I'm down for upland and rabbit hunts!

Welcome to Hunt Talk!

I would recommend checking out some groups like Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever or any other species specific group. You could also check out gun clubs for trap shooting, sporting clays, or just target shooting. You can meet people in person, make new friends and learn a lot.
Nothing better than teaching and taking your kids hunting.

I would fish and bushcraft while growing up but I never had the opportunity to go hunting until I went with my in-laws a few years ago and now I am hooked. .
I reread this. I’m jealous of your in-laws. Mine has been hunting his whole life. I planned to hunt with him this year and this just so happened to be the year he ‘retired’. So I divorced him as my FIL, now he’s just my wife’s dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back