How close to due dates do you hunt?

Nambaster

My wife is due Sept 26th. I went ahead and purchased and elk tag that opens September 15th. I will do my duty to do my best to check in with my Zoleo on a nightly basis to stay in contact. I would love to hear some hunt talkers stories about priorities and hunting to the limit on a due date.

Whew...that's tight.

giphy.gif

My kids were 2 and 3 weeks early. What's your significant other's feelings on the matter?

My wife is due Sept 26th. I went ahead and purchased and elk tag that opens September 15th. I will do my duty to do my best to check in with my Zoleo on a nightly basis to stay in contact. I would love to hear some hunt talkers stories about priorities and hunting to the limit on a due date.
Should have wrapped it up around Valentine’s Day.

That’s a bold strategy there cotton!

How far away from home is your hunt? And what number child is this for you?

I wouldn’t even risk that one. Kids come two weeks early a fair amount. There is no hard and fast rule with due date.

Should have wrapped it up around Valentine’s Day.

That’s a bold strategy there cotton!

How far away from home is your hunt? And what number child is this for you?

I wouldn’t even risk that one. Kids come two weeks early a fair amount. There is no hard and fast rule with due date.
I will be 6 hrs away as far a drives go. But, if I get an elk down it is a 2 day pack out minimum.

This is child #7

I will be 6 hrs away as far a drives go. But, if I get an elk down it is a 2 day pack out minimum.

This is child #7
That’s a brave strategy if you ask me.

Has your wife been early or late on the others?

How does she feel about you hunting that close to the due date.

That’s a brave strategy if you ask me.

Has your wife been early or late on the others?

How does she feel about you hunting that close to the due date.
Our last son was a little early.

I have her convinced I can go as long as the dr checks how dialated she is on the 7th. As long as there isn’t any widening going on, I might be able to slip out.

Terrible idea, no way I would go that far away that close to a due date. Both mine were a couple weeks early and both very fast labor and deliveries. No way I could’ve made a 6 hour drive to get back in time on either of them.
Hopefully it comes before the season opens and maybe you can squeeze a couple days in at the end of season after the baby is here.

A co-worker wanted to work up to the day before his baby's scheduled c=section. I made it clear to him in no uncertain terms that he was dumb.

I don't know you but taking off elk hunting 6 hours away 10 days before a baby is due - is dumb.

Get an elk tag next year.

Ask your wife.

I don’t know, with seven kids, this might be your last opportunity to go elk hunting…😀

Seriously, I think I would pass on that particular elk hunt this year. Since the season hasn’t started yet, can you trade your tag for one that is closer to home and for a later time?

I don't have kids so I'm not going to pretend like I'm some pro on this, but I do know plenty of people who had babies 2-4 weeks early. Its crazy common. There is no way in heck I would be gone. Its not worth it imo, 6hr drive plus a few hr hike. What if you're successful, it's a 3hr pack out and your on load one when you get that message?

On the flip side you do have a basketball team with subs at home so what do I know?

LOLOLOL...... November 25 my 1st son was born. OPENING DAY for deer. She is already 2 weeks late.
It's 5 AM I'm all camo'ed up face painted and walking out the door. Wife says it's time to go ? I thought it was a ? and I said: see you later this morning. She said no the baby is coming.
11 hours Jonathan was born 10.4 pds. Doctor and I had drum sticks for Thanksgiving.

Back