Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hankooks or Coopers?

PJ0311

Anyone have Hankook Dynapro ATm or Cooper Discoverer AT3 on their rig? The Hankooks are $230 cheaper a set for 6 ply at one tire shop, but a different shop told me the Hankooks only come in 4 or 10 ply. I drive an 03 Avalanche and don't think I need 10 ply. Was leaning toward the Coopers until I saw the price of the Hankooks. The Coopers are 6 ply.

Get 10 ply...You'll be happy with either tire.

See what local shops charge to have tires mounted and search online...I've had luck with Discount Tire Direct especially if they are offering discounts for purchasing sets of tires.

Depends on where you drive. And what.
Even 6 ply are marginal where I live.
Maybe OK for a car,on a hwy.
I put one (of my rejects) on my trailer spare today. OK for that.
I'm looking @ $200+ each on the Coopers locally for my F150 ,10 plys. 50k mi ave. here where I live.

Thanks for the replies. Most of the year is pavement driving but the p rated goodyears have been getting shredded in the breaks every year. I'm tired of getting them fixed or replacing them every year. Maybe 10 ply is the way to go, just wasn't sure how bad the mpg hit would be, if it would cause problems since stock tires were p rated, or if that would be overkill on an avalanche. I almost never tow anything, just wanted something tougher. I will definitely check out some online stores, thanks again.

I've had both. I don't know that there's an appreciable difference between the two, if I were to lean towards one it would be the Coopers. I think they are better in the snow and mud.

Hank is right, P rated tires are for pavement. Go D rated if you can find the size in them. I run only E rated, but I also drive a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel.

Get ten ply you won't regret it. I had the dynapros on my 150 in passenger, they came on it and switched to bfg all terrain and went up in size from 235 75 to 265 70 and only lost 2 mpg and believe it to be from the bigger tires not 10 ply. I'd get hankook over the coopers, but would get the bfg's over either, they might cost a little more than the others but you will get your money's worth. No matter what you get rotate them it seriously extends tire life I rotate mine every time I get my oil change which is every 5000.

Thanks for the replies. Most of the year is pavement driving but the p rated goodyears have been getting shredded in the breaks every year. I'm tired of getting them fixed or replacing them every year. Maybe 10 ply is the way to go, just wasn't sure how bad the mpg hit would be, if it would cause problems since stock tires were p rated, or if that would be overkill on an avalanche. I almost never tow anything, just wanted something tougher. I will definitely check out some online stores, thanks again.
I'll second that Discount Tire Direct suggestion. Name brand tires, great prices & free shipping right to your door.
I bought Coopers for my wife's CRV and Coopers for my Toyota Tundra. No complaints whatsoever.

I had the hankooks on my ranger and had no trouble with them. I have had a few sets of bfg's in my life and will never own another set had troubles with them all. The mud terrains were the worst of the bunch.

I just had 10-ply Hankook ATms put on my truck a couple weeks ago. So far, I'm impressed. I put about 600 miles on them last weekend. They were surprisingly quiet on the highway, and handled great on both asphalt and dirt roads. On that trip I drove up a mountain road that has a long stretch of nothing but shale flakes. No flats. I became interested in that brand mostly because I saw so many local trucks with them in the area I hunt.

My father in law ran hankooks in to the dirt 20 miles of dirt a day hauling bobcats 4 horses. He runs toyos now loves them. My dad runs nitos terra grappler got 55,000 of the first set 50,000 of the last running dirt roads and highway. I've had Bfg ko2s e ratted the last year and a half love them. 1005$ mounted and balanced form discount tire. No flats no wine at least on the highway. Great in mud too.

I've heard good things about the coopers, but I have never ran them myself. I would definitely get 10-ply though. I found that out last fall out there...when I was in the tire shop 2 times. I just picked up a new set of rims and Hercules Terra Trac II about 3 weeks ago. So far, I am loving them.

If you are shredding tires, I'd strongly suggest a tire with a 3-ply sidewall. Narrows the choices some, but worth it. mtmuley

I ran some Coopers on my truck. Not a bad tire! Kind of surprised me actually. Worked well in the snow. I run mostly highway as well, but get off into some stuff on occasion. Nothing like the mountains, but they seem to be a decent tire. I am running BFG All Terrain KO2 now. I really like those...

I'm looking at replacing my 10ply michilen's also on my 2500. Fairly certain I am going to KO2s. The pattern and tire has been around forever and simply work on everything i have ever put them on. X2 on going 10ply. I run 10ply on my F150 for 80k before I bought my silverado and they still had plenty of life left.

Look at TreadDepot.com. If they have free shipping the deals can be very good. Have a local shop mount the tires for you, usually 80 bucks for a set to be mounted.

I actually got my BFGs off of EBay with free shipping. Yep, $80 to mount and balance. I saved about $200 over going to a tire shop IF they even carried them.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back