MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

I need tires, what's the recommendation?

Looks like they don’t make them in the size I need. LT275/70R18.
Discount Tire in Vegas carries the Nitto Grappler and they also show it on Discount Tire direct. I had a set of the Nitto A/T tires on my '97 1500 Ram 4x4 and they were a very good tire.
They did surprisingly good in snow which I don't run into that much. Dirt, soft sand and gravel roads which are the majority of my off-road travels not a problem and they wore very well.

Be interesting to hear how they do in the snow for you.
My wife’s cousin has a set and said they do very well in snow. All of the reviews I’ve read confirm this. I’ll give updates through the winter.

Interesting thread!

I bought an 04 4runner about a month ago for a hunting/camping rig. I'd say I have about 5-10,000 mi before I'm going to be doing this search.

It currently has Hercules Terra Trac A/T E rated. I've gotten a lot of mixed feedback on whether to go E rated or not with the next set. My all terrain tire experience for the last while has been 3/4 ton work trucks, where it's kind of a given that we get E rated, but this rig is a fair bit lighter. I'd be interested in any thoughts on that subject.

Edited to add- size is 265/70/17.

Last edited:
I put Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my trucks. This was recommended to me by my local farm coop because that’s what they put on their propane service trucks that go out in deep snow to work on corn dryers and service home propane for rural customers.

My 2020 F150 was listed for P-service Tires with a load index of 113.

My 2023 F150 is rated for LT tires with a 113 load index.

My Falken tires are a SL rated tires with a load index of 116.

What’s the difference? They ride a bell of a lot nicer than the LT tires do any day of the week.

I will admit the Falken tires do cost you fuel mileage, but dang have they got snow traction. I got ride of Michelin tires that would loose traction in 4WD on wet grass, forget mud and snow, to a Falken that will pull a tandem trailer with a skid steer in deep snow still in 2WD.

Drop the idea of a C or D or E load rated tires and start using the load index charts. It’s how the industry is trying to go towards for tire ratings and makes a lot more sense.

Drop the idea of a C or D or E load rated tires and start using the load index charts. It’s how the industry is trying to go towards for tire ratings and makes a lot more sense.
Sometimes though, for a certain size tire, your options are load range E or load range E.

I will admit the Falken tires do cost you fuel mileage, but dang have they got snow traction.
@MTLabrador has a set of the Falkens, and he raves about them in the snow.

Interestingly, enough, tire rack has a review comparing the Wildpeaks, the Toyos, and Mickey Thompson AT Baja Boss tires. In snow testing, the Toyo was rated better than the Wildpeak, which I think says a lot about their performance in the snow.

Granted, it’s a subjective test. I think the end takeaway is it all three of them are damn good tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
So long as I can still get them, I have no reason to get something different based on how they’ve preformed on snow/ ice/ mud/ rain and towing.

It rides very nice and I don’t see any problems with wear. Even when I’m grossing 18,000 lbs.

IMG_9408.jpeg

Interestingly, enough, tire rack has a review comparing the Wildpeaks, the Toyos, and Mickey Thompson AT Baja Boss tires. In snow testing, the Toyo was rated better than the Wildpeak, which I think says a lot about their performance in the snow.

Granted, it’s a subjective test. I think the end takeaeay is it all three of them are damn good tires.
Why not the Duratracs you raved about? mtmuley

Why not the Duratracs you raved about? mtmuley
I still think the Duratracs are an outstanding tire, and I happily have a set on my work vehicle.

All that said, I tried a different set for a couple of reasons. One, I felt like these were a little better fit for the priorities that I was looking for this time around. Two, I’m not afraid to try something new if I think it will work better.

It’s nice having so many options that are all really good tires.

I still think the Duratracs are an outstanding tire, and I happily have a set on my work vehicle.

All that said, I tried a different set for a couple of reasons. One, I felt like these were a little better fit for the priorities that I was looking for this time around. Two, I’m not afraid to try something new if I think it will work better.

It’s nice having so many options that are all really good tires.
I've used three different tires in 30 years. When it works I use it. I get the trying something new. I guess. mtmuley

Granted, it’s a subjective test. I think the end takeaway is it all three of them are damn good tires.
I just put the Falken Wildpeak AT3 on my 2021 Sierra 1500 Crew cab. Love them—traction is great and the bonus is they look good too. Had them on my son‘s Tacoma and they performed really well for him too.

A set of these is on the way

View attachment 289347
Ran these a couple times on my work pickup. They are good in snow but their life on scoria roads all the time is short lived. About 10k miles we usually start getting flats with them and by 12-15k they are toast. Falken wild peaks were also really good in snow but toast by 10k as they are chunked out from the scoria. Currently running a set of copper st maxx and have 15k on them and should get another 5k on them. Only flat I’ve had is from a nail.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back