Caribou Gear Tarp

I need tires, what's the recommendation?

Ran these a couple times on my work pickup. They are good in snow but their life on scoria roads all the time is short lived. About 10k miles we usually start getting flats with them and by 12-15k they are toast. Falken wild peaks were also really good in snow but toast by 10k as they are chunked out from the scoria. Currently running a set of copper st maxx and have 15k on them and should get another 5k on them. Only flat I’ve had is from a nail.
Scoria roads are probably one of the hardest environments for a tire.

Oct-April I run Blizzaks on all my vehicles up here in interior Alaska.
Definitely the most popular brand of winter tire up here.

I probably would too for a dedicated winter tire like you need.

I live on flat ground. Not hills and mountains.

Just sold a set of 12ply 35x12.50 R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers & installed 10ply 35x11.50 Toyo Open Country AT3...'softer' ride, quieter at speed, better mpg. Nitto had 7k mi...sold for 1100. Toyo were 1900 mounted and balanced otd. My daughter has the same Toyo on her precious cargo Suburban.

Don't hate me @mtmuley ...; )

I ended up with KO2’s again recently on the Tundra (previously had a set on a Jeep wrangler). I had the standard TRD WildpeakAT3 (wa) which is the version specific to OEM that is less aggressive thus let’s then hit their MPG requirements. So far I am glad to be back with the KO2’s again although they are darn expensive. Did 16 hrs to Canada yesterday and ride wasn’t bad nor the sound.

Just sold a set of 12ply 35x12.50 R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers & installed 10ply 35x11.50 Toyo Open Country AT3...'softer' ride, quieter at speed, better mpg. Nitto had 7k mi...sold for 1100. Toyo were 1900 mounted and balanced otd. My daughter has the same Toyo on her precious cargo Suburban.

Don't hate me @mtmuley ...; )
Everybody has a different take on tires. For me Toyo's were over priced and under performed. mtmuley

I ran three sets of Cooper brand Mud terrains on a couple trucks. Got 40-50k miles on all, all wore very evenly. Insanely good traction on and off road, relatively quiet. BTW cooper makes mickey Thompson. Also had a set of cooper at3 all terrains on a f350. Good "adult" tire, decent off road traction and withstood a 8,000 pound truck on asphalt

Cooper Rugged Trek

You are welcome!
Just ordered a set of these in 275/60r20 for my Ram 1500. Replacing a set of Nitto Terra Grappler AT tires that have about 43k on them and could easily go another 5k on pavement. But with the hunts coming soon for me, I opted for fresh traction. Debated the Wildpeak AT3W but I just couldn't bring myself to pay $1600 for tires. With Discount's rebate and the 5% discount for using their card, I was less the $1300 out the door. With their special warranty added and a 60k warranty. Hope I like them.

Last edited:
I think you’d have liked the Falkens better.

It’ll be interesting to see how they do for you though.

I ditched a pair of Hankook Dynapro’s this week at @ 35K, very happily. I might’ve gotten some credit toward new as much as they’d worn, but they are probably the worst 3PMSF on snow and ice that I’ve seen.

I went a little narrower Wildpeak to get them in a 10 ply on a first gen Tundra. For the roads I see, those for trucks and Nokian WR G3/4 or Hakka’s for everything else are my favorites to date.

Just ordered a set of these in 275/60r20 for my Ram 1500. Replacing a set of Nitto Terra Grappler AT tires that have about 43k on them and could easily go another 5k on pavement. But with the hunts coming soon for me, I opted for fresh traction. Debated the Wildpeak AT3W but I just couldn't bring myself to pay $1600 for tires. With Discount's rebate and the 5% discount for using their card, I was less the $1300 out the door. With their special warranty added and a 60k warranty. Hope I like them.
I am still loving mine. They have been a GREAT tire so far.

Tire opinions are wide and wild on the internet, but I would like to hear what others have to say. I currently have my second set of BFGoodrich All Terrain, TA/KO2s. I like them just find and have had them on other trucks as well. But damn, they are expensive these days.

Much cheaper (close to $400/4), are Firestone Destination T/A2 and Cooper Discoverer AT3/4S (who makes up all these gibberish model labels?)

My truck sees lots of gravel, lots of snow (much more soon), not too much mud, and occasionally tows heavy loads short distances (hay), and covers lots of highway miles. I guess I should add that it may be hauling heavy loads (tractors and more) long distance if we get a house bought...

I suppose there is good reason and not just company profits to justify the KO2s, but what's the group think on this?
Have you looked into Falken Wildpeaks?

Have you tried the Rugged Treks?
Nope.

In 2018, I went with Wildpeak AT3W on the recommendation of my local farm coop. They put these tires on their propane service trucks and farm service trucks. Running in deep snow and mud if it works for them, it should work for me.

I know in 2018/19, I was able to pull machines like this no issues in 2WD in 9-12” of snow.
IMG_2709.png

Just got a set of the wildpeak at3w, only have about 2000 miles on them but im very impressed with wet road traction. Was driving in a torrential down pour on the highway and the truck stuck to the road very well. I'm sure they'll be good in mud and snow this season.

I wanted the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, ordered the Cooper Rugged Trek, and changed it today to the Falkens. Get installed tomorrow. I am sure the Coopers would work great, but I would always be second guessing myself as all of my research led me to the Wildpeaks. Hope it pays off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back