Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Gohunt and huntingfool

It must be horrible to have been born early enough to have 20 points in Colorado and 14 points in Arizona. Those of us who were still shooting our Red Ryders when the point systems started feel sorry for you not being able to lock up every good tag in every state.

It must be horrible to have been born early enough to have 20 points in Colorado and 14 points in Arizona. Those of us who were still shooting our Red Ryders when the point systems started feel sorry for you not being able to lock up every good tag in every state.

Exactly.... Zim is such a little whiny baby. I think we would all feel lucky if Zim draws his tags this year and quits hunting.

Sorry your girl Hillary failed, but no need to whine about it. The states will go on with their liberal point redistribution schemes without her help. If you're sitting 0-5 points that's exactly where you want to be. History repeats itself. Hell, maybe CO will copy Maine's moose point policy and start peddling all the $55 - 6 packs of bonus points a guy wants to buy each year. Would that work for you?

Once again, these are facts, not opinions.

Back to the actual topic of this thread, since Zim decided to derail it with his doom and gloom. Go Hunt is a great service in my opinion. It allows you to easily narrow down units that have what you are looking for. You can easily filter by trophy potential, draw odds, and species. They seem to have the most accurate draw odds available, and have been able to give a more realistic approach to states like Nevada that are harder to calculate. Huntinfool is a good resource as well, but seems to be on the downhill. They are constantly late with their magazines, and seem to focus more on marketing these days than actually providing content. Just my .02

Only issue I have had with go hunt is it running very slow on my computer. Looking at the odds and my point levels is cool and depressing at the same time. Really makes me wish I got into buying points years before I did.

One thing HF offers that no one else does, as far as I know, is a list of HF members that drew a tag you just drew. Sometimes is dozens of names going back years and sometimes no names. HF only offers one phone number for contact and no email, etc. I have about 10% success getting through to a prior hunter where get very useful info. Most of my tags are harder to draw so prior hunters may be more willing to share on that type of tag compared to one they can draw again about any year. Why only 10%? About 1/3 of the phone numbers are no longer valid for that member (moved, divorced, died...hey some of us are old), sometimes do not get calls back when number is valid and sometimes the info provided is not that useful.

Agree with this as a separator for HF. But, as LopeHunter says, this ratio of contact from the list they sent was my experience this fall as well. I only called/texted the folks that had drawn my Gila tag in the last 5 years or so (the list went back quite a ways). The info was hit or miss. I talked to more, and had way better conversations, from generous folks here on HuntTalk than I did the HF list and they were MUCH more helpful.

Huntinfool is a good resource as well, but seems to be on the downhill. They are constantly late with their magazines, and seem to focus more on marketing these days than actually providing content. Just my .02

When I saw that gigantic pimped-out HF truck they're giving away and 12 racks of branded clothing @ the ISE show in Denver, I thought the same - "These guys are becoming a marketing company".

I am an admitted numbers and stats geek, so I still like to go through the spreadsheets the individual states provide, and make my own on certain things, but GoHunt is a fantastic resource to pass things through a couple of filters before trying to dive into details. And their odds calculations are absolutely the best out there, all things considered. I conservatively spend about an hour a day on GH.

The question I have about GoHunt is how on earth can they keep tabs on the quality of every hunting unit in every state across the West? Seems next to impossible, but yet they claim to know what's going on everywhere, including general and unlimited mule deer units in Montana. I'm sure they'll get better at this, but I don't completely trust their intel for non-trophy units. Their write ups make me think they have ground truthed some units, while others were researched online. With that said, it is fun to search their comprehensive system and it is great that they provide actual draw odds.

Huntin' Fool tries to identify the best trophy units in each state. I'm sure they miss a few sleepers, but that seems like a much more manageable task, and they do a good job at it. It is less comprehensive than GoHunt, however, and it's frustrating when researching your home state because they only report on nonresident available hunts.

Last edited:
Yes and that's about how much my Arizona odds changed due to their system "change". According to GoHunt our odds went from 100% this year to 2.9%. What a deal.

There is a 100% chance that Zim will be whining about not drawing a tag again this year.
Zim says HF added stuff he's not interested in like odds in Kentucky so I guess they should only give info that he is interested in. He doesn't want an average elk hunt, just one where there are 400" bulls behind every tree and he can draw a tag every year.

Gr8bawana,
Randy just locked the "End Game" thread because of whiners like you that seem to think his website is your platform to make personal attacks. Did you bother to read the site regulations when you registered? Or do you just think you are above all that?

Another reasonable regulation is to stay on the topic. I really don't think it's that difficult to follow.

I think it's time for Randy to take the trash out.

Last edited:
Gr8bawana,
Randy just locked the "End Game" thread because of whiners like you that seem to think his website is your platform to make personal attacks. Did you bother to read the site regulations when you registered? Or do you just think you are above all that?

Another reasonable regulation is to stay on the topic. I really don't think it's that difficult to follow.

I think it's time for Randy to take the trash out.

Never mind!!!

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back