PEAX Equipment

GoHunt vs. OnX

I tried to run go hunt maps again this season and had onx still on back up thankfully. Everytime I close and open go hunt maps it wouldn't t allow me to get to my layers and I tried to un-install and re installing and it would work for a while then crash again finally gave up after the 3rd time and went back to onx

Last edited:
I have and use both but GoHunt has some serious bugs that make it hard to trust in areas without service. Huge lags in the GPS where it will be miles behind and then randomly zoom to current.

Their map downloading is also problematic. I currently have a bunch of maps waiting to be downloaded that just wont start. They have been "waiting to download" since November.

For those reasons I find myself using OnX much more.

GoHunt has some strongpoints but unfortunately there are overshadowed by issues.

That's my biggest gripe with them right now. I can't even get a response on when Android Auto will be available.
Good Android engineers are hard to find. X is behind on their Android development for the same reason, they just cant find the people even at the astonishing amounts of $ X pays.

That's my biggest gripe with them right now. I can't even get a response on when Android Auto will be available.
Of interest to this may be that GM is killing both android auto and apple car play in favor of its own system. Rumor is that other companies are looking to do the same. They say it is because of user experience etc. I think it is because they are missing out on a bunch of data. Google helped develop the OS for GM so I bet they still have some hooks into the data.

One issue I had with goHUNT mapping this year that got so annoying was using the blue directional mode and pointing your phone in the direction you needed to go or look and it would be either 90 degrees off or 45 degrees off of where you were pointing the phone .

On a positive note though the downloads of offline maps and the use of them was much better then my previous year experience.

I tried to run go hunt maps again this season and had onx still on back up thankfully. Everytime I close and open go hunt maps it wouldn't t alow me to get to my layers and I tried to un-install and re installing and it would work for a while then crash again finally gave up after the 3rd time and went back to onx
Same kind of issue I was having.

OnX breaking from Toprut? or is it huntin fool?
I believe they acquired Toprut outright so it is more that they acquired their data and will be rolling it into features of their own website saving the step of having to jump to Toprut’s site. Toprut may or may not still exist afterwards. I have no idea.

The relationship with Huntin Fool is different though and I think that will still continue as is.

Another vote for GoHunt on the desktop, OnX in the field.

OnX also has this thing where you can look up landowners by name so I went snooping around my family and found out my Aunt has a secret house up north. Wonder why she's so quiet about that one...

Yup and if there reasearch tool is good they might take a large share of that market
I just signed up for the OnX research tool and unless I am using it wrong it is pretty disappointing. I was looking to see what units in Colorado I could draw with X points and It basically included almost every unit in the state with my points and less. I know I can draw a unit requiring 0 points - everyone can. I don't need 20 extra units returned. I am looking for a list with my points plus or minus a point or two.

Back to the old pdf draw results for me.

I just signed up for the OnX research tool and unless I am using it wrong it is pretty disappointing. I was looking to see what units in Colorado I could draw with X points and It basically included almost every unit in the state with my points and less. I know I can draw a unit requiring 0 points - everyone can. I don't need 20 extra units returned. I am looking for a list with my points plus or minus a point or two.

Back to the old pdf draw results for me.
Yeah it was unfortunate I was hoping it was going to be better but it's not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back