Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

GoHunt vs. OnX

Baerman

Looks like OnX has some significant upgrades to their mapping, scouting and application packages with the addition of TopRut and Terrain-X. I tried using GoHunt maps exclusively last year and compared to OnX on my wifes phone. I found OnX to be superior for a number of reasons. I was hopeful to go exclusively with GoHunt at the start of last hunting season but now I'm starting to lean the other way. The one thing I haven't spent enough time with is TopRut and it's research capabilities on future hunts in multiple states. Those of you that are trying both OnX and GoHunt, I'm curious what your thoughts are?

1) Is OnX or GoHunt the better Mapping tool for you and why?
2) Is OnX or GoHunt the better research and planning tool and why?
3) Are you considering dumping one and going strictly with one platform?

1) onX for me. My hunting partner used GoHunt exclusively last year and is switching back to OnX.
- I tried using GoHunt as I got a free year as a perk with another product purchase. I immediately didn't like it in the field. Way to much information and made reading maps and making quick decisions almost impossible. I know you can turn layers off but the colors when certain ones were on just didn't work for me. I love the simplicity of OnX and the colors for the different layers just works for me.

2) On a computer pre season scouting GoHunt is pretty good and might slightly edge OnX. The 3d feature means nothing to me as I used Google earth bc I can change how much 3d I get making for a more realistic map imo.

3) I will stick exclusively with OnX for the reasons mentioned above. My only complaint with OnX was in some places they had winter maps which made finding green grass tough but found ways around it. With the new updates they have historical data which is really nice.

I have had GOHUNT as well as onX and just like WIBiggame I tried to go away from onX and only use GOHUNT but was with my hunting partner that had onX and found out quickly that GOHUNT wouldn’t download offline maps like it should when needed to with great service as well as it has points that it will lag or not track you which could lend yourself being on private property before it updated unlike onX, ( if your hunting private/public boarders) there was a couple other complaints but those were the big ones. I’m hopeful that they will get it hammered out this year and I can switch to just one mapping system. GOHUNT on the other hand has Better desktop mapping and options like there new imagine mapping history where you can look over areas throughout different times of the years but it isn’t accessible mobile yet so in the field that doesn’t benefit you.

haven't tried go hunt.

plan to stick with onx indefinitely. lots of way points and tracks that, sure, i could transfer but who wants to deal with that when onx works great? and it does work great.

toprut is good enough to help narrow down your research to a half dozen units to hone in for in depth research on your own. that it doesn't cost me extra means it's a pretty decent service to have.

onx is solid IMO. if it was clearly lacking something i would look into switching, but i'm yet to see how it's lacking.

I had both for a time. GoHunt has the better research end but it wasn't enough to get me to switch. Plus in my circle OnX is what everyone has so sharing is easier if I stick with OnX.

Better maps in onX by far, and historical imagery as well.
GoHUnt is better research material.
This is my general conclusion as well. I haven't dove into the TopRut info now that it's incorporated into OnX to see if that get's me enough info on researching hunts. I'm just growing old of subscriptions in general and trying to simplify.

I like go hunt for the research. But I have struggled to find go hunt maps as useful as onx the layers and color schemes just seam to work better on onx

When it comes to mapping, OnX for me is superior. Like others, I also tried GoHunt mapping but I went back to OnX.
Research tools on GoHunt are definitively a lot easier to work with, but Toprut isn’t bad.

Another for onx from a guy that tried gohunt for parts of last season. When in the field and at home escouting there just is no need to spend your money on anything else. With it you also get a free huntin fool account which gets you access to the e mag. While I don't like reading it much as it's mostly geared towards those "bros" from utah, I do like getting all of the states rules summarized nicely and alerting me to changes in them as well as a good update on current species and climate. I also am not ever interested in "top trophy" units so I can from that mag just take every "HT" recommended unit and cross it off. Beyond that, I'm using state websites on my own to research odds and so forth. I don't need go hunt to do it for me especially because I've found some errors with it, alerted them and then they admitted it was wrong yet never updated it month later.

I've been using GoHunt primarily for desktop mapping, and OnX in the field, for the following reasons:

GoHunt
- The topographic layout and format is smoother, particularly with the way it renders topographic lines. I find this more helpful in getting a feel for the landscape from afar.
- I think it displays more geographic names, closer almost to the style of an old paper USFS map, which I find helpful when getting a lay of the land. More creeks named, canyons, peaks, etc
- Historical imagery in-app is awesome, and saves me having to use Google Earth like I used to, and swap between apps when planning

OnX
- More stable in the field with offline maps, etc. - despite the offline maps function being clunkier, I find it runs smoother on iOS and crashes less
- The denser rendering of topographic lines gives me a higher resolution when I'm trying to map out stalks
- Roadless layer is still really helpful with e-scouting

I currently have both. Started with onX and trying out gohunt this year. Not sure if it’s just familiarity, but I like onX better. Would be curious to hear from someone that started with gohunt and then tried onX.

I currently have both. Started with onX and trying out gohunt this year. Not sure if it’s just familiarity, but I like onX better. Would be curious to hear from someone that started with gohunt and then tried onX.

I did the same last year. Could be familiarity, but I MUCH prefer onX. Once onX came out with Top Rut, I canceled gohunt.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back