Ford Eco Boost Engines

One of my biz managers is on his second...he pulls material trailers, his RV, and does a lot of driving....swears by em.

Last edited:
I have a 5.0 in my 2015 XLT and I drive a combination of 75MPH interstate and 60MPH highway. Unloaded I average 18-19 MPG in the winter and 20-22 in when the temps are 40 deg+. 33K miles on the truck and I really like it. Test drove the 3.5L and thought it definitely had more snap to it, but I was afraid of having issues with the twin turbo engine.

One of my biz managers is on his second...he pulls material trailers, his RV, and does a lot of driving....swears by em.

Harley; are your referring to the post above yours, i.e. the tundra. or the eco boost?
thx

I've researched the heck out of them and was thinking of getting one. What I came up with is that the Eco boosts are nice and snappy feeling and can tow well for a half ton but mileage does drop when towing considerably. I searched tons of forums with guys having both the Ecoboost and the 5.0. If I was going to get one it would be the 5.0 for reliability, mileage was better while towing as well, and the price was less. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Lawnboy: I am looking at replacing my rig before too long and gas mileage is high on my list

I have a 13 with 60k on it and I get an average of 15.5. I've tried the high grade gas and it bumps up to 15.9. Overall it's ok for an engine. If I was able to choose again I would have gone with the 5.0.
Not engine related but I did have my tranny go out already.

Nothing like stirring the pot, right?

Ford guy here as well. I'm still running my 2010 with the 5.4 in it. Just over 214,000 on it so far. HOPEFULLY it will keep on ticking for a while, don't really want a truck payment again. I've looked at the numbers for all of the current engines and can't help but fall back to my old gearhead days and liking a good old V8. If the day comes where I feel ready to buy another I'll have to think about it pretty hard. At least I'll be giving these new engines some time to prove themselves. Or not.

That 10 speed is a combined effort between...... GM and Ford. I'd rather have one in a Camaro. mtmuley

Mileage drops to somewhere around that 18-20 range; like MikeMaland also noted in his comment. I feel like once you get past 70mph or so the mileage starts to drop faster meaning that around 65-70mph you can still get in the neighborhood of 20 mpgs or better but closer to 80mph it falls to the 17-18 mpgs range. Overall I get right around 15 mpgs but most of my driving is in the city or local interstates where traffic speeds can vary a lot.

I have a 13 with 60k on it and I get an average of 15.5. I've tried the high grade gas and it bumps up to 15.9. Overall it's ok for an engine. If I was able to choose again I would have gone with the 5.0.
Not engine related but I did have my tranny go out already.

I have a 13 and this is exactly what I am getting out of mine except no tranny issues, yet.

This is my third eco boost and would buy it again. We treat this as our car for me and the wife and it is all highway miles. I would buy another one in a minute. The interiors of the 2017 are much much quieter.

I will trade up this fall again.

Nemont

Mileage drops to somewhere around that 18-20 range; like MikeMaland also noted in his comment. I feel like once you get past 70mph or so the mileage starts to drop faster meaning that around 65-70mph you can still get in the neighborhood of 20 mpgs or better but closer to 80mph it falls to the 17-18 mpgs range. Overall I get right around 15 mpgs but most of my driving is in the city or local interstates where traffic speeds can vary a lot.

My 01' w/5.4 F150 85kmi offroad lariat gets same.Go above 75 & it drops to 18-19 from 20-22 City & towing it drops to around 14-16.

Wow a thread about trucks and hardly a Ford Vs. Chevy argument to be heard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOsKauJ1RGU

I'm a ford guy for the record :)

Yeah I was expecting it more arguing. I'm partial to GM. Only owned 2 that weren't...95 F-150 that got tossed the second I could afford better and my Tacoma that will likely get replaced this fall for a bigger truck with better mpgs.

I just bought a 16 5.0.. one of the main reasons I passed on the eco was the issues with carbon build up on the valves. Ford does not clean the head like other manufactures do.. they require a new head. Now to be fair, carbon is a problem for a lot of direct injection motors. Good luck with your decision
Do you know how much extra the Eco-boost engine costs over what a standard V-8 equipped truck costs? Are all the extra dollars worth it? May as well get a 3/4 with a diesel if its very much additional.

Do you know how much extra the Eco-boost engine costs over what a standard V-8 equipped truck costs? Are all the extra dollars worth it? May as well get a 3/4 with a diesel if its very much additional.

my 14 was 1500 more I believe. I don't think the 2.7 is an upcharge at all though.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back