Ford Eco Boost Engines

My father bought a new one a few years ago. Test drove a handleful of ecoboosts and every one had a noticeable buffeting sound at 70+mph...enough to drive you crazy. Tried a v8 and couldnt hear a thing. Went with the v8

I'm guessing that was the old body style? They used to have different front air intakes for the auxiliary cooler on the Ecoboost vs the 5.0 (notice the old style had the license plate bracket moved to the side on the 3.5 and centered on the 5.0 and 5.4). Now the bodies are identical so I doubt that exist anymore.

Take a look at some of the towing and drag speeds of the 3.5 vs the 2.7 Ecoboost. Unless you're towing over 7,000 lbs, it could be argued that the 2.7 is a quicker motor with better fuel economy.

Grizzly:
What can I expect to get for gas mileage on the highway with a Ford F150 eco boost?

Grizzly:
What can I expect to get for gas mileage on the highway with a Ford F150 eco boost?

My dad has the old body style and gets 21 on the highway. My brother gets about 2mpg better with the new aluminum body. You can now also get a 10 speed transmission that is a $500 upgrade. I haven't seen mpg with that, but it's worth looking into to see if it would pay off and over how long.

For some really good info on different trucks and comparisons between the different Ford motors, the guys I watch are called Fast Lane Trucks. They have some really good head-to-head comparisons showing real world numbers.

EDIT: They got 23 mpg highway in this video with the 2.7...https://youtu.be/Z6lU6K7FA1Q

Last edited:
Three different friends bought ecoboost. None have them today. two were 2013 on was 2014. Two had major turbo issues and back and forth to the shop to be worked on. One was just a crappy truck overall. Tranny issues, case issues, ECU fried. Finally lemon lawed it. That is the only first hand experience I have with them. All of them liked the Gas milage. I only drove one of them loaded and it pulled the gooseneck sorta okay, but not even in the same ball park as my 3/4ton.

Well i'm glad about all this info. I drive a '02 F-150 4.2 v6 standard. Just passed 192000 miles. She looks rough but wouldn't ever change it. My best friend has gone through two silverados in the same time, same line of work.

MY wife has a 2014 Ecoboost. She pulls a two horse, living quarters, trailer around without a problem on short (50 mile) trips. Plenty of power. However she uses the diesel on longer trips.

I'm guessing that was the old body style? They used to have different front air intakes for the auxiliary cooler on the Ecoboost vs the 5.0 (notice the old style had the license plate bracket moved to the side on the 3.5 and centered on the 5.0 and 5.4). Now the bodies are identical so I doubt that exist anymore.

Take a look at some of the towing and drag speeds of the 3.5 vs the 2.7 Ecoboost. Unless you're towing over 7,000 lbs, it could be argued that the 2.7 is a quicker motor with better fuel economy.

It's a 2015

Grizzly:

I have a 2016 3.5 bought 3 months ago. Already have 7k miles. 16MPG is the avg. I drive mostly highway at exactly 78mph. Buddy bought a 2.7 at same time and gets much better mileage last time I checked. My 2014 5.3 Sierra got roughly the same overall but was better on hwy and worse on city.

That's bad luck on the turbo as most guys never have problems with them. I guess there will always be some bad apples though. I wonder if that would've been covered under the 60,000 Powertrain Warranty if he would've had a few more miles on it?

I don't honestly know. I do know that the guy went round and round with the dealership he got it from. That's why he came to see my friend...to get an estimate. The dealership finally fixed it for him, I don't know if any out of pocket money was asked for. I do know he said he was never buying a Ford again.

I have a 2016 3.5 bought 3 months ago. Already have 7k miles. 16MPG is the avg. I drive mostly highway at exactly 78mph. Buddy bought a 2.7 at same time and gets much better mileage last time I checked. My 2014 5.3 Sierra got roughly the same overall but was better on hwy and worse on city.

I miss my 5.3l Sierra...at 15 years old with 200K it got better mileage and handled better than my 16 Tacoma (Tacoma wins the off road test though). I'll have to bug you about your truck this fall because I think an Eco-boost is high on my list for replacement.

I have a 2013 Lariat with the Ecoboost and 65k miles. Love the truck and so far no issues at all with engine. For me the gas mileage really depends on how fast or aggressively you drive. When I am doing 60mph heading to the lake I can easily get 22-24 mpgs but if I am driving in rush-hour traffic (live in the Twin Cities) or racing around town it drops way down to 14 or 15 mpgs.

My dad has a 2015 with a 2.7EB. I've only drove it a handful of times but i'd be willing to bet it'd be slightly ahead of my '14 3.5EB. it's a hell of a little motor in the power dept. His has the 6 spd tranny as well, not the 10spd.

I just bought a 16 5.0.. one of the main reasons I passed on the eco was the issues with carbon build up on the valves. Ford does not clean the head like other manufactures do.. they require a new head. Now to be fair, carbon is a problem for a lot of direct injection motors. Good luck with your decision

If I were to drop almost 50K on a pickup (and I never will), it wouldn't be a 1/2 ton. mtmuley

I miss my 5.3l Sierra...at 15 years old with 200K it got better mileage and handled better than my 16 Tacoma (Tacoma wins the off road test though). I'll have to bug you about your truck this fall because I think an Eco-boost is high on my list for replacement.

I will be in bear camp. Hopefully I will see you there. If push came to shove, Sierra wins over ford for me.

If I were to drop almost 50K on a pickup (and I never will), it wouldn't be a 1/2 ton. mtmuley

I believe the question was focused on the engine, not the merits of spending x amount of money...

I have a 2013 Lariat with the Ecoboost and 65k miles. Love the truck and so far no issues at all with engine. For me the gas mileage really depends on how fast or aggressively you drive. When I am doing 60mph heading to the lake I can easily get 22-24 mpgs but if I am driving in rush-hour traffic (live in the Twin Cities) or racing around town it drops way down to 14 or 15 mpgs.

What happens when you drive 70 or 75 on the highway?

3.5 ecoboost avg 18.1 mpg from Wyoming to Delaware. Drove around 80 mph, with the 36 gal tank 650 miles per tank.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back