Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fixed Blade or Mechanical

I live in Idaho so I don't have the option. It's fixed in the books and I have them tuned so I don't see any reason to change.

Sometimes I'm amazed they even let us use compound bows and scopes on rifles here in Idaho.

I've never shot mechanicals, always shot fixed. Started with Bear razorheads, went to Thunderheads, and 4 years ago switched to Sonics as they are a replaceable blade COC broadhead and wanted to try them. With proper bow tuning all have flown well and killed animals for me, and so I see no reason to change. No two ways about it, Mechanicals have a higher risk of failure to perform properly than a fixed blade broadhead. Yes, I am quite aware that many, many people have excellent results with mechanical heads. But I have excellent results with fixed, so why add one more potential problem to the equation. Just my 2cents.

If I was forced to shoot a fixed blade I would start off with the shuttle t lock to try I have heard nothing but good.I have shot thunderheads,montecs, old style muzzy not the mx's,bear,and magnus stingers.Out of them the thunderheads and magnus would be the only ones I would rely on. Montecs came to dull and hard to sharpen the blood trails I got from them where next to nothing. The bears were to hard to find.And the muzzy's blades seemed weak like the were made out of aluminum or something.

I like slick tricks. They fly like darts and tune as easy as any broadhead on the market. I have shot both fixed and mech. Both kill . But fixed blades are ALWAYS cutting.

Do the slick tricks come pretty sharp? I heard the are a good head also. Any one tried the blood runner by NAP? Been thinking about trying some but I just cant get myself to do it since I have had such good luck with the reapers the last 5 or 6 years.They deer just dont seem to go far when hit with that head for some reason and there is ussually alot of blood on the ground.

Old School here. 100 gr. ThunderHeads.....Sharpened to the edge of a razor. No reason to Mess With Success.

Do the slick tricks come pretty sharp? I heard the are a good head also. Any one tried the blood runner by NAP? Been thinking about trying some but I just cant get myself to do it since I have had such good luck with the reapers the last 5 or 6 years.They deer just dont seem to go far when hit with that head for some reason and there is ussually alot of blood on the ground.

Slick Tricks are scary sharp out of the package...I sliced a couple fingers when I got the first pack taking them out and putting them together...lol

I like slick tricks. They fly like darts and tune as easy as any broadhead on the market. I have shot both fixed and mech. Both kill . But fixed blades are ALWAYS cutting.

Shot this South Texas buck with Slick Tricks last weekend. The arrow did not pass thru as the shot placement wasn't perfect. But the blood trail was solid and he went down for good within a half hour. Love em!

IMG_3506.jpg

Removed from the buck

IMG_3516.jpg

i got turned to mechanicals a few years ago and since then I've been shooting the rage exclusively. I've killed elk, deer, antelope and a moose all with the rage. BUT....I've also lost my two best animals, one being an elk and one being a mule deer, with the rage on shots that "should" have killed. So....what to do?

I have never used a mechanical BH. I used Thunderheads for years but recently switched to hunting with a recurve only and have been using the VPA Terminators. However, this year I'm thing about giving the Muzzy Phantom 2 blades a try. Hopefully I'l get to see how they work during turkey season in May.

26" arrow 6.5 grpi=169gr
75gr head
1.5in quickspin 3gr eachx3=9
plus insert and knock =17.5gr
your right I was a little light total weight is 270.5 grains and the bow is pulling 53# that puts me around 5.1grains per pound

A 270 gr arrow from a #53 bow and a mechanical? You got lucky my friend. Not a set up appropriate for big game IMO.

I'm mostly a fixed blade guy too, but I can see some limited reasons to use a mechanical too. Shot placement is key with them. Hit shoulder and you may be in trouble.

I shoot the VPA 3 blades. Fly like a dart and there is not a tougher head made. Proven 3 blade cut on contact design that is precision machined from a solid block of steel. Not welded together with weak spots or made of cheap cast metal like it's competitors.

I shoot rage and have been happy with them, but I have never used anything else. I've talked to friends who are serious bow-hunters that have used others that prefer Rage too.

I've been shooting slick tricks, but may look at either the swhacker or ulmer edge broadheads for future use on deer, javelina, and turkey.

Ron

A 270 gr arrow from a #53 bow and a mechanical? You got lucky my friend. Not a set up appropriate for big game IMO.
No luck invovled been doing it for years without a problem its proven deadly everytime.3 of the animals have been 40yds+ with passthroughs.It all goes back to good shot placement and a well tuned bow.Belive me more deer are wounded every year from hunters that are pulling to much weight and not enough practice than someone shooting a light arrow or mechanical head.

I'm a fixed blade shooter. Have tried mechanical, just like the fixed better. Had very good luck with Muzzy Phantoms, but have recently went to MX3s. Also have shot spitfires in the past, just didn't like to change the blades as often as it was required. All I have ever shot were 100 gr.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back