Caribou Gear Tarp

Fixed Blade or Mechanical

Hawkeye

Not trying to start any pissing contests here, just curious as to which you prefer and why? Do you use the same broadhead for everything? I use slick tricks for elk/deer and rage 2 blade for antelope.

I'm a fixed blade guy. I guess I'm just old school that way. They have made such great improvents in accuracy with them that why would I jump ship and miss all the benefits that come with being fixed. I realize you could argue all day long whether they penetrate better or are tougher or carry more energy but that's my set up right now. Let the pissing begin ;)

I use both in different situations. I have more then one spot in my quiver, There is no rule saying it has to be the same broadhead. Low wind, I love fixed, Stronger wind, I love mechanicals.

+1 to Lawnboy.

I also started bowhunting in a state that did not permit expandables so I learned to tune my BHs. I found a head that has worked for me and I'm going to stick with it.

Granted I've used expandables and killed a blacktail and a few turkeys with them, Once I had my fixed blade dialed in, I didn't have to worry about blade deployment. So I never went back to the expandables.

KISS....

I'm a fixed BH guy. Until I switched to the new fangled carbon arrows, I shot the old Bear Razorheads. I think with insert they weighed around 165 gr. I loved the hole they made. Once shot through the head of a 5 point bull with a finishing shot. I had to go to smaller weight heads because carbons wouldn't fly. I'm going back to the old XX75's and bears next year, except for lopes.

I like fixed broadheads out of my crossbow but the blood trails aren't anywhere near what my buddy gets out of his Rage broadheads.

I haven't bowhunted for a real long time. Shot my first deer with a thunderhead a few yrs ago, and this year shot my first elk with a 3 blade meat seeker. Both shot were dead within half a minute of being shot, I love the meat seekers and hope they continue to perform as they did this year. So for me I'll go with mechanicals. But as lawnboy said the newer fixed blades are just as accurate in most cases...

I use fixed blades. I shot mechanicals for a lot of years with success, but I recently had a follow-up shot with a mechanical where the broadhead didn't do its job, so I am sticking with fixed from now on. In the past, I have had a blade break off a mechanical on a shot through a doe. I would definitely not be using those broadheads for a big animal like an elk. I'm sure there are some better mechanicals out there, but that experience has led me away from there. I am using the G5 strikers now. I have taken a few animals with them, and they have put the animal down quickly every time. They put a big hole in the deer I have shot so far with them.

Depends on the animal. For deer and lope size I use the Rage 2 blade, and will never go back to fixed. For Elk I have been taking both the rage and Slick tricks along. They both shoot good for me, but the Rage are not as good in a quiver or on a rest for lots of hikes.

I switched to mechanicals years ago and would not go back to a fixed blade unless maybe I was elk hunting.Mechanicals are not for everyone.I go through all of mine before the season and make sure its all right.I have also tested many of them and never had any malfuntion.Some have had dull blades from the factory and I stay away from them same with fixed blades.Plain and simple bigger cutting diameter and less tuning issuses.I didnt care for the rages because of the o ring the blades can come of from in your quiver and stuff. I have been shooting reapers for alot of years now and am happy with them even out of a 50# bow and IBO weight arrows.(for deer sized game}

This is the entrance hole from the buck I shot this year.Normaly they dont leave this big of a hole but I think it was a combonation of the buck having his leg forward stretching the sking and a very sharp broadhead.41 yards with a 50# bow 260grain total arrow weight and still a complete passthrough
070.jpg

260 gr. seems light. with a 100gr head a 26"arrow would be around 6 grains per inch for the shaft alone

or 260/50# = 5.2 grains per pound of draw weight.

sure you don't mean 360 grains TAW?

Easton Light speed 500 26"
75 grain grim reaper
1.5in quick spins
The bow is pulling 53#

26" arrow 6.5 grpi=169gr
75gr head
1.5in quickspin 3gr eachx3=9
plus insert and knock =17.5gr
your right I was a little light total weight is 270.5 grains and the bow is pulling 53# that puts me around 5.1grains per pound

I like fixed blades. Use a Muzzy Mx-3. I hear people have problems with expandables not deploying but my hunting buddy who uses expandables had it happen to him once.

Yikes did he loose the deer?[/QUOTE

He was fortunate it was a small doe so the arrow was still able to penetrate enough to get her to bleed out. He let her go overnight because as she ran off he so the arrow was barely in her. Found her in the bottoms in the morning about 150 yards from the tree. Obviously he doesnt know how long it took her to expire but i imagine quite a while. If it was a big bodied buck i doubt he would have recovered him.

I used Shuttle T's for a long time and they flat tore up anything I shot with them. I switched to Slick Trick magnums and have only shot 2 animals with them, so the jury is still out on them...but I still keep 2 Shuttle T's in my quiver. I think...and this is TOTALLY my opinion... alot of people shoot mechanicals because they can't effectively tune their bows. I've had no problems at all with fixed blade flight out to 80 yards.

John is right alot of guys just screw on a mechanical and think its good.Big mistake.1 reason I get good penetration with light poundage and arrows with a mechanical head is I make sure they are flying straight ,cams in sync paper tuned 8 ft, and 20ft.Again I go through my heads to make sure they function right.If the head I use is set up proper there is no way it wont open.Now if you dont set them up right or they are full of gunk,dirt or foam from a target you might have problems though I have never had it happen.

I live in Idaho so I don't have the option. It's fixed in the books and I have them tuned so I don't see any reason to change.

Back