First-timer--SE Montana Map and Timing questions

BigGameNewbie

I can't believe where the time has gone. Spent the countless hours of my youth dreaming of deer and elk hunting the Western states, but never made it further than bow hunting whitetails in East River SODAK.

Recently, I had the good fortune of meeting a gentleman who re-kindled that passion and reminded me of the opportunity I have to share those dreams with my son and daughter--God and children willing.

I'm headed to SE Montana November 6-10 with a General Deer Combo License for what I hope to be the first of many mule deer (and hopefully elk next year) hunts. As to the timing: Am I likely looking at pre-rut or full-blown rut activity for this time period. Secondly, I have the ONXMaps for Montana, and I'm in the process of trying to identify likely looking areas. I'm in good shape and I'm not afraid of putting on miles. I recognize this is SE Montana and not the Bridger Wilderness, but I'm trying to identify areas closed to motorized traffic. Will the USFS Sioux Ranger District Map do the trick, or do I need to look at something else?

Thanks!

First, search SE Montana and Custer Forest on this web site. This stuff has been discussed over and over.
The rut will be going some on the 6th and about a week away form peak on the 10th.
Getting away for the roads can be done but is not necessary during the rut. SE MT is not like the mountains. Once you get much more than a mile from the road it is likely that you are getting closer to another road. The few road less areas we have get hit fairly hard. You will see fewer other hunters but the other hunters that you do see are much more dedicated and effective. Bucks will leave road less areas to find does. During the rut it is not uncommon for bucks to travel five or more miles. This is most often happens with the big doe concentrations near irrigated agricultural fields.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back