Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk Hunt Advice

HighDesertSage

I was looking to get some advice/opinions on my upcoming elk hunt this fall. I have two areas I am looking at and I am on the fence as to which one I should pursue.

Area 1: 2 1/2 hours from the house, I have hunted it successfully in the past, higher elk density than Area 2.

Area 2: 30 minutes to the trail head, never hunted it before, I have all summer to scout and learn the new area, slightly lower elk density than Area 1.

What would you guys do?

What season?

Do you plan to take time off to hunt?

Whats the hunting pressure like?

Roaded/ATV trails?

Bambistew has some good questions, but as a general rule I think it is always good to explore new country. After which you can return or never go back.

You have an area you know and have killed elk in. Keep hunting it and keep killing elk. mtmuley

What season?

Do you plan to take time off to hunt?

Whats the hunting pressure like?

Roaded/ATV trails?

Muzzleloader if draw, 1st rifle if not.

I will take a week off to hunt.

I only know in the one area, but it was tolerable this past season.

All roadless areas, foot/horseback only.

I would scout the closer area a few weekends and base your decision off what you find..

Every summer I make a point to scout at least 2 new areas I've never hunted in the past. Every fall I hunt places I have and haven't hunted in the past. Last fall only 1 bull (out of 4 elk taken by friends and me) was taken in a drainage I'd taken one in the past.

Go scout, if it looks good hunt it since it is closer. If its not good, go to the place you already know.

Finding new places to hunt and succeeding in those areas is a lot of the fun of hunting for me. I'd give the new spot some scout time and make the call in the fall.

The problem is I have to pick which tag I want in early April. The two areas are not in the same unit, and because muzzle and 1st rifle are limited entry tags I won't be able to swap one for the other after the draw. I guess the best answer is strap on my snow shoes and go for a few long hikes. Thanks for the help!

You have an area you know and have killed elk in. Keep hunting it and keep killing elk. mtmuley

Solid advice muley. Over the years I have noticed a very strong pattern: guys that jump around every season kill far fewer critters than the guys that, for the most part, keep hunting the areas that they know.

I try to hunt a new area every year. But I sure don't put all of my money down on that hand.

I challenged myself to kill a buck in every section of Pa when I was younger.I was able to do that and learned a lot of new country.Sitting in the same place every year to me is absolutely no fun.If your concern is to kill an elk go back to where you already know.If you want to challenge your hunting skills, go to the new area.You may just find out the new spot is way better then your old spot

Like some have mentioned, I love the challenge of hunting new places. Kind of on the same lines as Mixedbag, I challenged myself to take a whitetail in as many counties in NC as possible. 16 out of 100 possible so far (although I have 20+ taken in some counties alone), and also 5 states unguided.

With that, I'd say Area 2!

I would say hunt your tried and true Area 1 but once you have filled your tag or if you have a free Saturday or something, take a hike into Area 2 during the open season without a gun. Just take a long day hike as if you were hunting and see what you find. If Area 2 shows lots of promise then you can always put in for that tag in 2016. Good luck!

You know there are elk in Area 1? Put the time in and make the drive. I continually want to explore other areas in MT, but I'm in elk every single year in the range I hunt...therefore my decision is simple. Yours should be too.

Also, just go for a hike and see what you come up with. Sounds like you need to check out Area 2 period. Never hurts and there will be days when you can only hunt for 3 -6 hrs and you now have a local area.

With only five or nine days of season I'd stick with what you know in area 1. If you had several weeks to hunt it would be a different story. Like others had said go scout area 2 in 2nd or 3rd rifle season and see what you find for the 2016 season. Jumping areas can decrease your success rates unless you have lots of days to hunt.

Thanks every one. Solid advice here. I think I will get a tag for the unit I know and hunt it this year, but go ahead and scout the new area as well, and maybe get a leftover cow tag if any are available. If I like what I see I will consider making a switch in 2016.

Have you taken a lot of elk??If so, then I'd be going for the new area and challenge your skills.Don't get me wrong, I like elk meat,but the challenge is far greater then just a kill.To me hunting a sure thing is a sure way to get bored but you'll eat better then me

Hunt deer in new unit scout it that way
Then ya got the best of both man!

Hey I live here!
Can you tell me what unit you kill elk in so I can apply too!?!?

Back