Early Season Colorado GMU 53

Joehilty

Good morning! Thanks for the add Mrs. Newberg! I'm from West Central Missouri and am not new to elk hunting but will be going on my first backpack hunt late this summer. I'm 43 and my two buddies that are going with me are 40. 2 of us have extensive backpacking experience and 2 of us have a descent amount of elk hunting experience, but none on public land. We did not draw in New Mexico or Montana so we are going to CO! Very excited but have not had much experience at 10,000+ feet. We have decided to venture into the West Elk Wilderness in unit 53. Looking for advice and others experience. Our plan is to be there the Friday before Labor Day weekend and hunt for 7-10 days. Been contacting outfitters for help in packing out and maybe even a "ride" in. I've read forums and watch endless amounts of YouTube videos about early season hunting. We've never hunted "summer" elk. I hope that by the end of our hunt, we an get into some bugling, but not relying on that. There seems to be plenty of water, some dark timber, aspen groves and oak brush. Just looking for others experience in that area. Plan on making a trip out the last weekend of July to scout as well. We are not horn hunters. We love to elk hunt and eat elk meat, so any legal animal that gives us a chance, will hopefully be put down. Any help will be greatly appreciated and might even be able to reciprocate with waterfowl and turkey hunting hunting here in the Golden Valley of West Central Missouri! Thanks again!

Been on a program since January. Exo Mountain Gear has an almost brutal workout but I love it! You use your loaded pack for some of the exercises. Been doing 1 to 2 hour rucks 3 times a week with over 50 pounds in the pack. Thanks for the heads up!

I'll be in that same area during the same time. Never hunted this particular area or this early, so not sure what to expect. I'm planning on putting on the miles during the day to find wallow and glassing early and late. Hope it works out!

Last year there was very little water in 53 aside from the the major streams/creeks, most of the smaller ones that appear on aerial photos were dry and this year is shaping up to be much worse. To be honest I wouldn't worry about horses packing you in, although I might contact one about helping you pack out if you get lucky. Hotchkiss meats is a great place to take your animal for butchering.

Any idea which of the creeks would be more likely to hold water? I understand if you're not willing to share that. Just not familiar enough to know which ones typically hold more water.

I'll be in that same area during the same time. Never hunted this particular area or this early, so not sure what to expect. I'm planning on putting on the miles during the day to find wallow and glassing early and late. Hope it works out!

We are thinking the same thing. Lots of area to cover.

Last year there was very little water in 53 aside from the the major streams/creeks, most of the smaller ones that appear on aerial photos were dry and this year is shaping up to be much worse. To be honest I wouldn't worry about horses packing you in, although I might contact one about helping you pack out if you get lucky. Hotchkiss meats is a great place to take your animal for butchering.

Thanks for the tips! Hadn’t got around to calling any meat processors. Will definitely give them a call!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back