Do you blame wolves?

mtmuley

An informal poll. If you haven't punched your tag in the last several years, do you blame wolves? mtmuley

Absolutely, the wolves down here in Colorado are out of hand. Ask some cat on Bowsite by the handle of 8pointer.

Blame them for what, Eating?
What is the point of this thread?
What state?

If Montana..quit your crying....you only have about 600+ of them there...We have over 3300 in MN and I'm tired of all this Montana whining about wolves.

Off soapbox...but this is getting boring talking about this tiny 600 wolves in Montana.

If Montana..quit your crying....you only have about 600+ of them there...We have over 3300 in MN and I'm tired of all this Montana whining about wolves.

Off soapbox...but this is getting boring talking about this tiny 600 wolves in Montana.

Amen.

No, there are still elk in the hills.

Have they impacted herds? Yes. Talk to anyone who hunted the Yellowstone herd in the 80's and 90's. There may have been a few too many elk then, but its tough to deny they didn't hurt the populations.

MN Public Hunter, Before you open your mouth, you should find out why I'm asking. Yeah I'm from Montana. NO, I don't blame wolves. I see a lot of crap on the internet, and hear lot's of locals crying about not killing elk because of wolves. Just trying to get a feel on the attitude from REAL hunters, so you need not respond further. mtmuley

I blame them for Toby Bridges.

Theytookourelk.jpg

I blame myself for not trying hard enough and reacting quick enough. Island chains aren't isolated from wolves, but there are elk in there and I've seen them first hand so I know they haven't disappeared.

No, there are still elk in the hills.

Have they impacted herds? Yes. Talk to anyone who hunted the Yellowstone herd in the 80's and 90's. There may have been a few too many elk then, but its tough to deny they didn't hurt the populations.

There's much more at play than just wolves. Years of excessive tag sales, drought, etc, combined with wolves caused that crash.

Wait till the next legislature, they'll add test and slaughter onto that herd to try and eliminate brucellosis.

There's much more at play than just wolves. Years of excessive tag sales, drought, etc, combined with wolves caused that crash.

There is always more than one single reason... but c'mon... acting like wolves are a small piece among many is little disingenuous. My family's been in the Gardiner area for 3 decades. We had bad droughts before (remember '88 fires?). We had high tag numbers for decades. We never had <5,000 elk in the Northern Yellowstone Herd until wolf populations went wild for 15 years. Unmanaged wolf populations have had a huge effect on the elk herds in those areas. No denying it.

Last edited:
I blame myself for not Marrying into the Bobby Hill family so that I could hunt the Hill Ranches like the Eastmans and Primos boys

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back