Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Michigan firearm deer hunt numbers plummet, particularly in U.P., and locals blame wolves

cheeser

We have the same mess in MN and WI…. Too many wolves. Cowardly DNR won’t face up to the big city libtards, who think wolves are wonderful! Control them or hunting revenues will plummet !

We have the same mess in MN and WI…. Too many wolves. Cowardly DNR won’t face up to the big city libtards, who think wolves are wonderful! Control them or hunting revenues will plummet !
So you’re saying it’s the state DNR’s decision to not “control” the wolves?

No, the DNR knows we are way over quota but they are powerless against the political winds that surround wolf “harvesting”.

Did not say that either! Our experience here is the DNR passes this hot potato off as a “federal issue”. They do noting constructive to support the hunters that the over population affects. How about a little fight when you know damn well it is a huge issue. Take a look at our northern zone deer harvest trends… not pretty. If the DNR does nothing about this then who can??

Did not say that either! Our experience here is the DNR passes this hot potato off as a “federal issue”. They do noting constructive to support the hunters that the over population affects. How about a little fight when you know damn well it is a huge issue. Take a look at our northern zone deer harvest trends… not pretty. If the DNR does nothing about this then who can??
What would you consider something constructive that the DNR can do to help hunters? Be more specific than a “little fight”.

Not involved with the Brock vs New Member shit...

Related to the topic. Article covers the full spectrum. Related to the wolf portion, MN, WI, MI need to slide in a *"Wolf Killing Rider" into the upcoming budget CR. :rolleyes:

"The DNR last January announced that its annual wolf survey in 2022 showed the Upper Peninsula population holding steady at a minimum number of 631 wolves."

"George Lindquist, a trustee for 25 years with U.P. Whitetails Association of Marquette County, a nonprofit organization that promotes healthy deer populations and habitat."

"The DNR continues to minimize any conflicts with wolves with the information they put out," Lindquist said. "They are trying to paint a picture that the sportsmen don't believe. Everybody up here knows there are more wolves than they say there are — even the biologists will tell you that."

Lindquist said of the actual wolf count in the U.P., "1,400 is a more realistic number."

Related to the topic. Article covers the full spectrum. Related to the wolf portion, MN, WI, MI need to slide in a *"Wolf Killing Rider" into the upcoming budget CR. :rolleyes:

"The DNR last January announced that its annual wolf survey in 2022 showed the Upper Peninsula population holding steady at a minimum number of 631 wolves."

"George Lindquist, a trustee for 25 years with U.P. Whitetails Association of Marquette County, a nonprofit organization that promotes healthy deer populations and habitat."

"The DNR continues to minimize any conflicts with wolves with the information they put out," Lindquist said. "They are trying to paint a picture that the sportsmen don't believe. Everybody up here knows there are more wolves than they say there are — even the biologists will tell you that."

Lindquist said of the actual wolf count in the U.P., "1,400 is a more realistic number."

You can’t count wolves in the UP any better than you can count deer. That is the problem. Deer hunters complain because that’s what they do. Maybe their pile of corn wasn’t big enough? Maybe snowmobile trails gave wolves an advantage? Maybe the 631 claim is BS matched only by the BS claim that 1,400 is realistic. Who the hell knows? UP wolves don’t eat pine needles, so eventually this problem fixes itself. That’s the argument we deal with in WA.

Oh come on, don’t ruin my fun.

You can’t count wolves in the UP any better than you can count deer. That is the problem. Deer hunters complain because that’s what they do. Maybe their pile of corn wasn’t big enough? Maybe snowmobile trails gave wolves an advantage? Maybe the 631 claim is BS matched only by the BS claim that 1,400 is realistic. Who the hell knows? UP wolves don’t eat pine needles, so eventually this problem fixes itself. That’s the argument we deal with in WA.
Reminds me of Idaho before they became serious about counting wolves... 😉

Then Idaho can share their counting method with Michigan. All I can say is there are a ton of deer in the panhandle. Driving at dawn and dusk I see plenty of food for those wolves.

What would you consider something constructive that the DNR can do to help hunters? Be more specific than a “little fight”.
How about, stop faking the numbers of wolves. I’ve hunted MN and WI for over 55 years, the changes are dramatic. Deer and coyote populations are down, we see wolves pushing further and further south each year as they decimate the northern herds. Stop trying to BS us, we can clearly see what is going on.
Give us a hunting and trapping season for wolves. DNR tried a few years back and failed…. Do it again and again and again! Wisconsin at least had the courage to do a limited season but MN…. Not so much!

Oh come on, don’t ruin my fun.
what?

And that is why I have a wolf permit for Idaho this year… their DNR admits there are too many wolves in the Selway Bitteroot area. At least they try to control the numbers! Not like MN, WI, and MI.

Discussion - population management​

20 Nov 2020
CLOSED: This discussion has concluded.

Not one single action from this MN DNR sponsored “discussion” on Wolf depredation in N MN.

Then Idaho can share their counting method with Michigan. All I can say is there are a ton of deer in the panhandle. Driving at dawn and dusk I see plenty of food for those wolves.
Your comment fits, to a T, my exact experience along hwy 93... Where it's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of when a driver hits a deer...
Same said of Idaho HWY 21...

You're reaching... Don't care why you're reaching though carry on... the life of internet forums.

Reality, Idaho's rigorous intent has gained a much more accurate count. That is one intent of "wildlife management". 🙄

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back