Michigan firearm deer hunt numbers plummet, particularly in U.P., and locals blame wolves

No doubt Wolves are an issue in the U.P., however, deer herd management may also play a part in declining herd numbers. The same number of tag allocations state wide is cause for concern. The number of deer in, say the Cedar River area, compared to north or central Menominee county, is nowhere the same, yet hunters can kill the same amount of deer.
Also, eliminating baiting completely could help. Force people to actually hunt, not just shoot.

The article implies wolves are only a small part of the story. Sounds like some logging initiatives needs to happen in the UP to diversify the habitat.

Maybe the Ruffed Grouse Society could take the lead since they are experienced changing habitat in other states, or maybe they are already working in the UP.

Wolves are an important component to a healthy ecosystem, this is very well documented.
Apex predators are Apex for a reason.
The surveys report data which could be incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate.

Herd management could also provide opportunities for supporting predator harvesting.
I am now a snowbird and our families business and livelihood has been passed to the next generation. The habitat and forest landscape has changed, it is always in flux, and voting is the first step towards change!

The wolves are plentiful and this is documented. A Female wolf hide in winter coat is an EXCELLENT pelt. The meat when season properly makes Fantastic fajitas and jerky.
Consume what we harvest and solve the problem others can’t.

We have the same mess in MN and WI…. Too many wolves. Cowardly DNR won’t face up to the big city libtards, who think wolves are wonderful! Control them or hunting revenues will plummet !
Another "the wolves ate all MY DEER" member. Great. I already thought there were too many of them. Ranks just above the people that oppose wolf hunting - but just barely.

And that is why I have a wolf permit for Idaho this year… their DNR admits there are too many wolves in the Selway Bitteroot area. At least they try to control the numbers! Not like MN, WI, and MI.
and what do you want the Minnesota DNR to do? They cannot allow wolf hunting until the federal restrictions change. And don't give me the deer farmer's "state's rights" crap, that doesn't apply to wolves as they're not confined to the state.

Your comment fits, to a T, my exact experience along hwy 93... Where it's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of when a driver hits a deer...
Same said of Idaho HWY 21...

You're reaching... Don't care why you're reaching though carry on... the life of internet forums.

Reality, Idaho's rigorous intent has gained a much more accurate count. That is one intent of "wildlife management". 🙄
Not reaching for anything. Any estimate on population in heavily forested areas is going to have a wide standard error (+or-). Just gets old reading “there are no deer/elk because of all the wolves”. The wolves have to eat something. I can understand MI or WI wanting to hunt wolves because the pops are high enough. But arguments need to be better if we are making them to non-hunting public.

Any estimate on population in heavily forested areas is going to have a wide standard error
Not true. Idaho has made this clear with their count approach. Of course, if one steers the Center for B.S. Diversity direction, they will claim Idaho has five wolves in the entire State and must revert back to ESA...

Have at it.

Same tag allocations state-wide no matter what unit you hunt.
Multiple hunting seasons that extend for over 3 months….. Liberty hunt, early anterless hunt, independence hunt, archery/crossgun season, rifle season, muzzleloader season, late archery season, late antlerless hunt. (Yes, I know not all mentioned occur in the U.P.)
Numerous crop damage permits issued.
Old growth forests.
Few forest fires.
No tag purchase window…..There’s no doubt people fill their tags then buy another tag during season for their wife, sister, deceased grandmother, etc.
Truck loads of bait being dumped when only 2-gallons is allowed.
And yes, an overpopulation of Wolves.
The U.P. herd decrease is a culmination of issues; not just one issue.

This is what happens when the public is put in charge of wildlife management, instead of experts. If these hippies want to reestablish the wolf population, I recommend that they also replant 60 million bison to feed them along the way.

Another "the wolves ate all MY DEER" member. Great. I already thought there were too many of them. Ranks just above the people that oppose wolf hunting - but just barely.
If you had a large tract of property in N MN or WI, you would quickly change your glib tune. 10 years ago, great hunting and not a single wolf on any of our 15 cameras. Fast forward…. At least one wolf every day…. Very few deer, no fox, bobcat, coyotes or other wildlife that used to be here. What conclusion would you come to? I’ll wait!

and what do you want the Minnesota DNR to do? They cannot allow wolf hunting until the federal restrictions change. And don't give me the deer farmer's "state's rights" crap, that doesn't apply to wolves as they're not confined to the state.
Take the case for hunting the over populated wolves to the feds. They aren’t endangered here. Do just what Wisconsin did to try and reduce their population a few years back! Ain’t that hard! Negotiate, you get nothing if you ask for nothing!

Not true. Idaho has made this clear with their count approach. Of course, if one steers the Center for B.S. Diversity direction, they will claim Idaho has five wolves in the entire State and must revert back to ESA...

Have at it.
Not saying that the current trail-cam method isn't better than previous approach, which was a WAG, but it is silly to say there isn't a large SE in the method. Critics will criticize, but it is easy when ID clearly wants to have a high population count to justify its seasons. ID would revert back to poisoning them if they were allowed. My point is any argument that there is no food for wolves but lots of wolves is hard to make.

Americans scared of the big bad wolf. Highest wolf populations on the continent here in Canada, yet somehow it’s not a barren wasteland devoid of all life.

If you had a large tract of property in N MN or WI, you would quickly change your glib tune. 10 years ago, great hunting and not a single wolf on any of our 15 cameras. Fast forward…. At least one wolf every day…. Very few deer, no fox, bobcat, coyotes or other wildlife that used to be here. What conclusion would you come to? I’ll wait!
Perkinstown, Gilman and Tony, WI. Know where that is? How about the other side of the state, Pickerel and Crandon. All places I have family and have put feet on the ground hunting in the last 3 years. The decrease in deer is highly unlikely because of wolves. For sure not all of it. Maybe 5% to blame?

Perkinstown, Gilman and Tony, WI. Know where that is? How about the other side of the state, Pickerel and Crandon. All places I have family and have put feet on the ground hunting in the last 3 years. The decrease in deer is highly unlikely because of wolves. For sure not all of it. Maybe 5% to blame?
Wow! I didn’t realize you were such an expert. So what is the other 95%? This should be good!

Do you hunt?
Probably more than you kemosabe.

I imagine everyone up in arms about this are fat lards driving around truck hunting on public roads crushing beers with a gun hanging out the window, blasting whatever 80s rock takes them back to their youth when they were +hair and -beergut. ‘Haven’t seen shit today, must be them darn wolves!’

I have a tract (not sure I would call it large) in N MN and we have seen the ups and downs of wolves, moose, wolves, grouse, etc. It is all about enjoying nature in its many forms. If I want to hit something with a bullet I go to the 1,000 range. If I want meat in the freezer I go for elk out west or Costco just down the road. If I want to hunt and conserve nature in N MN (an area I love) I appreciate the opportunity and embrace the cycles.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back