Caribou Gear Tarp

coyote/ wolf rifle

notellm

Looking for thoughts on a great predator rifle? I have a Sako hunter in 22-250 and works fine for yotes but know a few guys who have lost wolves with it? I have a tikka 25-06 that works good on yotes to elk. thinking about a new predator rifle? Thanks Larry

.243?

There isn't much room between a .22-250 and a .25-06.

I would guess the guys who have lost wolves with .22-250's were using highly frangible bullets made for varmints (and commonly sold in .22-250 ammo).

With the right bullet selection, your .22-250 is probably sufficient...unless you're looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle...

And you'll still want to stay away from varmint bullets in a .243 (the 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, made for deer hunting, would be about perfect.)

.22-250 is very sufficient for wolves. Try a bonded type bullet, I think belly-deep hit that nail on the head.

Can't go wrong with the 25-06. Would recommend using a Nosler Ballistic Tip thou.

Not sure where your at but here in wyo in the trophy areas you have to hunt wolves with a regular hunting caliber which is .243 or bigger. In the predator zone you can use a varmint caliber.

Barrett Model 95 .50 BMG with BORS pinpoint accuracy system. Leave nothing to chance....

Attachments

• 95-hero.jpg
    95-hero.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 615
Nice - I planned to use my .338 this winter?!
The Omen is a righteous looking must have!
Which one are you shooting elkwhiper?

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts think ill stick to the 25-06. We have shot a pile of lions with the 22-250 my wife and son will be knocking some out of trees real soon! :)

I prefer a WInchester Model 94 in a 30-30. Makes killing wolves fun! :)
IMG_0213.jpg

.243 with an 85 grain Barnes is a pretty lethal combo too. The Swift with a Barnes would be lights out.

If your a handloader you might want to think about the 257 Roberts. I don't own one but my cousin does and he really likes it and it shoots great.

My buddy up in Wyoming shot a big male yesterday with his 30-06. I'll see if he minds if I post a picture in the next few days.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back