custom rifle suggestions

Paul does stellar work, I'm embarking on a new project with him myself, after I pick up the one with him currently. If you're looking for someone who really specializes in full custom hunting rifles, you really need to consider @van franke of Plains Precision Firearms. He built my Defiance AnTi actioned Model 7 in 300wsm. It weighs under 8 pounds suppressed and ready to hunt, and shoots .8" groups at 300 yards. His process of building, testing, and load development was a real education for me, and elevated my reloading. I'd order another rifle from him, but the one he built does everything I wanted it to do and more, so I don't need anything more at the moment. Someday though.

Paul does stellar work, I'm embarking on a new project with him myself, after I pick up the one with him currently. If you're looking for someone who really specializes in full custom hunting rifles, you really need to consider @van franke of Plains Precision Firearms. He built my Defiance AnTi actioned Model 7 in 300wsm. It weighs under 8 pounds suppressed and ready to hunt, and shoots .8" groups at 300 yards. His process of building, testing, and load development was a real education for me, and elevated my reloading. I'd order another rifle from him, but the one he built does everything I wanted it to do and more, so I don't need anything more at the moment. Someday though.
If it's a Defiance An-Ti action, then is it really a Model 7??

At that point it's really a full on custom rifle.

I've got advise, if you want sonthing, do it and don't listen to what anyone else tells you because it's a CUSTOM gun. Not a gun that everyone agrees with. I listened to way too many opinions on my first one and it made me feel comfortable at the time, while spending that kind of money. I've nearly doubled my cost changing all of that good sound advise to what my gut told me to begin with.

I'd take advise from your gunsmith only because he will ask you questions and his work will be based on your answers. He has done this a long time and can make valuable suggestions based on your preferences and his experience. Other than that, let your heart lead the way.

If it's a Defiance An-Ti action, then is it really a Model 7??

At that point it's really a full on custom rifle.
It’s a Model 7 footprint, uses a model 7 trigger and bottom metal so I consider it a 7. The original plan was to use a Remington action, but PTG messed that up twice, and another factory action couldn’t be blueprinted so enter Defiance to save the project. I picked the M7 because it’s even shorter than a 700 short action to try and build the most compact rifle I could.

I have seen enough of what Paul has put on HT to know one thing: I could dedicate the next 10 years of my life to learning that craft and still not be anywhere close to his level.

I haven’t had the pleasure of sending anything to him yet- but if this was my goal, he’d be the guy. You made a good choice.

Wow. I’d frame any group at 3 like that! I’m looking forward to what Paul and I turn out (my parts easier - I pick the ingredients lol). Jokes aside, I know it’ll be great.

I've got advise, if you want sonthing, do it and don't listen to what anyone else tells you because it's a CUSTOM gun. Not a gun that everyone agrees with. I listened to way too many opinions on my first one and it made me feel comfortable at the time, while spending that kind of money. I've nearly doubled my cost changing all of that good sound advise to what my gut told me to begin with.

I'd take advise from your gunsmith only because he will ask you questions and his work will be based on your answers. He has done this a long time and can make valuable suggestions based on your preferences and his experience. Other than that, let your heart lead the way.
Great insight. I’m exactly on the same thought. Thx.

Thanks all! I’ve connected with Paul and will work with him to complete the build.
B43E7007-A74F-4F4E-A3B5-A02B92F70670.jpeg
Watch out, I’ve heard @p_ham likes prison pink and messing with poor bastards scope caps!

Ok well maybe he had to be talked into the prison pink and made me pay for it with the scope cap but I’m very happy!

Wow. I’d frame any group at 3 like that! I’m looking forward to what Paul and I turn out (my parts easier - I pick the ingredients lol). Jokes aside, I know it’ll be great.
I didn't frame it, because it does that consistently, but I did save pictures for posterity. Paul doesn't know how to turn out crap work, he's a really skilled machinist. We're all blessed that he went full time doing something he loves and is exceptional at. I'll echo what someone else said, on a custom make sure you do all the things you want, don't leave anything for later.

The point is, doing the work yourself is not difficult and it's very rewarding.

OH, sounds like we are all saying a similar thing. If you have the desire and the tools go for it. If you want to let the guy who is installing the barrel give the rest his expert attention go for it too!

While, at 61 yo I do question the younger generation :), but it's not over this issue.

Back